1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Rear Fuel tank questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 05:22 PM
C G B
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Rear Fuel tank questions

Well I decided to move the fuel tank under the rear of the truck. Mostly because I discovered my fuel tank has a bunch of rust in it, and replacing it and moving it under the frame is probably cheaper. Not to mention I gain some storage behind the seat, can make the body look a little smoother, and I can get a few gallon larger tank.

Ive read the article from Skip Porterfield article Installing a Mustang tank in a 60’s vintage Ford about moving the tank. My question is do I risk having the frame rails twist on me slightly as I would either need to remove or modify the frame rail in the pic below.

I could modify the cross member like this:

But if it the frame will be strong enough without this piece in there, I will just remove it entirely.

I had planned on using a Mustang tank. Ive also seen that some have the sending unit in the bottom/side. The 71 Mustang tank has a the sending unit on the top. The older ones (64-70) are on the front side of the tank. Does that matter? Im worried primarily about possibly messing the sending unit up because it would be more exposed to the elements. I see that the 71 tank is a little more narrow so could possibly fit into the frame rail better as well. Thoughts on the tanks below?

The '71 tank More Information for SPECTRA PREMIUM F32A
The '70 tank More Information for SPECTRA PREMIUM F2

I also looked at a fuel cell, but most Ive seen are bottom sump or something just doesnt work out quite right. Any ideas on what I can use for a fuel cell would be great.

Thanks!

Old 09-19-2011, 09:55 AM
huckdeuceman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a thought? could you box the croosmember over the axle for more strength?
and maybe the rear? but unless your going to have some big powerplant'' I wouldn't think
it would be an issue? but I really don't know! someone will be of more help on here soon.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:41 PM
garbz2
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you plan on using the truck to haul anything?

Taking it out and using the truck for pleasure it will pose no issue.

Garbz

Old 09-19-2011, 09:15 PM
C G B
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by huckdeuceman
Just a thought? could you box the croosmember over the axle for more strength?
and maybe the rear? but unless your going to have some big powerplant'' I wouldn't think
it would be an issue? but I really don't know! someone will be of more help on here soon.
huck, I do plan on about a 500hp+ 460 in the truck, so yeah, power is an issue.

Originally Posted by garbz2
Do you plan on using the truck to haul anything?

Taking it out and using the truck for pleasure it will pose no issue.

Garbz
I was thinking along those lines. I do plan on pulling a boat trailer, or car hauler on a class 3 or 4 hitch, maybe throw 1000lbs in the truck, so I think I will probably rebuild the cross-member. Im worried about the possible issue with frame twist due to where the rear springs mount on the frame.

Any input on the tank? A narrower tank seems to be the answer here.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:36 PM
jmf66
Tuned

Look where the crossmembers are located... right at the leaf spring support. The rear weight of the truck and chassis forces are transfered to the axle from these points and the crossmembers are there to tie everything together. I think modifying the crossmember as you described would be better than moving it... and I'd say absolutely do not just remove it.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:50 AM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree firmly with Jerry. Myself, I would never remove that support unless I came up with a design that would carry the stress of that spring bracket. You can't imagine the stress at that point, torque or braking, let alone while carring a load.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:50 PM
66 ford lover
Freshman User
I moved mine

Hey i moved my original tank from behind the seat, flipped it around, cut the filler hos off and welded it on the otherside, then put the tank in the back of the bed behind the cab. I think it loks good and you eliminate the odor in the cab and then fear of getting gas all over you in a t-bone crash. I will cover it with a diamond plate cover also.The tank behind the seat was nt a good idea by Ford.