1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Hello

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Drewsc
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello

Hey guy's,
I'm new to the board, been reading for a while but not really any posts.
Just wanted to introduce myself and ask for some of your thought's.
You guy's have a great forum and I'm glad I have found it. Helped me lots already. I have been around cars for several years and owned several Thunderbird SC's one was my first car I bought when I was 18 and owned it for 14 years until I recently parted it out and bought myself a 1950 Merc M1 pickup. I have wanted an old Ford/Merc pickup for a long time and when a deal came along I bought it. Long story short the truck was complete and came with a new box, rear fenders and Mercury tailgate which are painted, rust free doors and front fenders/hood. The cab needs a bit of work on the left lower cowl but that's about it. Front grill is in great shape and all the original badging is there as well.
The truck was drivable and has a 350 sbc and powerglide with a Ford 9" in the rear. Originally I was going to just rewire the truck and fix a few spots and paint the whole truck but as I have started digging into it I am going to go all the way and make it as nice as I can. My plan will be to have the frame blasted and install a Mustang 11 front end, fuel tank is will be out back and so on. Since I am totally pulling this truck apart I am not keen on putting the 350/glide combo back in and want Ford powering it once again. I have read a few posts of guy's putting in Mark Viii motors and have done some reaserch on the swap but not much to go on. I recently came across a good deal on a 93 mark viii for 500$ with 170,000km's and good running engine /tranny, so I bought it.My plan was to install the engine/tranny in the truck. I am since having second thought's as this is my first real build and am working out of my garage with average garage tools and I know that performance wise seems very limited on these engines until you get into the later heads and so on. I want the truck to be a nice driver and maybe on the odd nice day tow my fishing boat to the lake. I would be interested in any of your thoughts on motor choice and maybe what made you choose the motor in your trucks?
Thank you for taking the time to read.

Drew

Old 09-12-2011, 03:24 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Drew,

Thanks for the intro. One big help would be for you to list your location in the upper right corner. You can do this by going the the control panel used to set up your account. It comes in handy to know what a poster is located.

Good to have you aboard.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:31 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

Old 09-12-2011, 03:32 PM
JBjorgaard
Freshman User
Drew,

I'm in a similar position, with a 1949 F1 updated restore that I'm looking to occasionally do some light towing with.

This is the direction I am headed:

Engine: 302 (w/ GT40P heads if I can find them) or 351W
Trans: T19 (AOD appears popular if you are wanting an auto)

There are a ton of options on the motors, and I've yet to decide completely on one myself. First big question is Carbs or EFI, then how much power are you looking for. the 302 and 351W can overlap quite a bit in the power range, it comes down to phisical size and money. If you're not looking for crazy power I would think a well built 302 would be adequate. For has made and put the 302 in so many different vehicles, rated at so many different levels of performance its a maze I'm still trying to sort out. I'm sure others will have much more helpful insight.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Drewsc
Junior User
Updated my location, didn't realize that.
Thank you
Drew

Old 09-12-2011, 05:04 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Drew,
Welcome aboard! We drove across Ontario this summer - lovely country.

We've got a 1950 F1 - It came with a tired 289 & we finally opted
to put a 351W in it this summer. When we were looking it was going to cost about the same to rebuild 289/302/351W so we went for more horsepower. There are some specific upgrades you can make to the base 351W to get some fairly good HP - We went the aftermarket route & bought a top end kit from Summit - put's the HP around 400. (It was pricey at $2K).

If I had it to do over I might go with the 289 - I hear you can get 17 MPG or so - I won't be touching that with my carburated 351W. For us it was HP vs MPG - if it's going to be your daily driver you might want to think through the MPG side.

Ben in Austin

Old 09-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Greg M-47
Senior User
Hi Drew from a fellow Mercury owner. I've got a '49 M-47 that I'm working on. Just put the flathead back in to run to see what kind of shape it is in.
I had a '48 with a 289 in it. Plenty of power and not bad on gas.
Good luck with the project. I'm always glad to hear of another Merc being worked on.
Greg M-47

Old 09-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Drewsc
Junior User
Thanks for all the comments,
Ben, there are some nice parts of Ontario for sure but the trips I have had in the US did not dissapoint me either. The fuel mileage is definatley an issue to think about.
Greg, you are right, I think it is called an M47 and not an M1. What was I thinking?
I will try to post up a few pics not sure if I can though.
Thanks again.
Drew

Old 09-12-2011, 08:08 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Drewsc, Welcome to FTE! There is a great bunch of guys/girls on here... Just remember we love pics here, it's a must! Keep us informed on your progress...

Old 09-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Welcome Drew. Sounds like a cool project. Love the Mercs I've seen here on FTE. I'm a big 289 fan. Can't say I have any experience with one in one of our trucks but certainly do love it in a 68 Mustang!

Looking forward to seeing all those pics you'll be posting!

Rob

Old 09-12-2011, 11:05 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Drew! Glad to see another Merc guy around here.

The 4 cam Mark VIII engine is extremely wide, and the space under the hood of the M47 is relatively narrow, and gets even narrower as you go forward. Shoe horning that engine in there will be difficult, but it depends on how bad you want it. Pay careful attention to steering and exhaust as you put it all together. It's going to be one of those things that you do all together and think and plan carefully, to actually make everything work.

Here's a chart comparing the different Ford engines. This shows only the 2 cam version of the Ford mod engine, so your 4 cam version will be wider still.

The good part is, with approx. 300 hp on tap from those 261 cubic inches, you won't need too many hop-up parts, and you'll get great gas mileage, as well.

PS. Is gas mileage still a word in metric-using countries? Or is it gas 'kilometerage?' ;-)

Old 09-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Drewsc
Junior User
Here are a few pictures of when I brought it home earlier in the year.
All the freshly painted panels are wrapped in plastic in my basement and it was painted the same color as the doors.
Called Holey green. I kinda like the color but I will probably be going with something different.
I have been able to work on it a little and it is almost completely stripped, motor/ tranny is out and only the bare cab is left on the frame. I am going to order the Mustang ii front end shortly and the Mark viii will be stripped soon too.
Any way lots to do and so far I have enjoyed every minute.
Thank you
Drew

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/attachme...1&d=1304350158

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/attachme...2&d=1304350158

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/attachme...3&d=1304350158

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/attachme...4&d=1304350158

Old 09-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Looks like a great project... interesting color on the cab.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:21 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome to the forum....that looks like a really good start.

Depending on the condition of the parts that it came with, maybe you should just get it running and drive it for a while before you decide what to do with it.

Dan

Old 09-16-2011, 02:12 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
Welcome Drew...
welcome to FTE...you're gonna love it here

nice ride... I want your trailer

john

Quick Reply: Hello