6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

How to change the oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 05:35 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it was a fine response and it is good for all of us to think about how we do it just in case we are missing a finer point.......

I left you reps for helping the newbie.....

Bob

Old 09-14-2011, 06:05 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Reps, wow thanks. i feel better already. Of course it could be that nice dinner I had since the last post.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:53 PM
parcours
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude, chill!

Your explanation was spot on. You just made some very direct (in CAPS) descriptions that have some leeway. Filters and oil(s) all can be equivalent and still meet the manufacturer specification. The only additional step I would add is to lubricate the o-ring with fresh oil prior to installing it on the cap....

I wasn't putting your post down, just augmenting what you said to give the OP some options....

That's the whole reason behind these forums...

Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Is this a real question? OK, go to walmart and buy three 5 quart containers of Motor Craft 15W40 diesel CJ4 oil, DO NOT USE ANYTHING ELSE. Also buy a motorcraft oil filter for the 6.4L diesel. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING BUT MOTORCRAFT). If you do not own a 36MM socket buy one of those also and a magnet on a stick gizmo. If walmart does not have the oil and filter go to the Ford dealer. The socket and the magnet you can get where ever tools are sold. Once you have the oil and filter go under truck, place a pan that will hold 18 quarts or so (the motor holds 15 but some of these trucks "make oil" during the exhaust cleaning process) under the oil bung. put a wrench on the oil bung and turn counter-clockwise to loosen. Reach up and turn plug by hand until it comes off. At that moment pull hand quickly out of the way as oil runs into pan. Clean the pint of oil that ran down your arm with a towel or shop rag. Go to top of motor and remove oil filter. It requires a 36MM socket. Open top of oil filter, its the one closest to the fire wall, the other is the fuel filter. Once you have removed the oil filter cap pull the filter out and remove the paper filter from the cap. Install new filter in cap and install new O ring on cap. Replace cap and torque to proper level, I believe the paper work in the ford oil filter states the right amount. If not chack your owners manual. By now the oil from the pan should have quit running. Slide the pan out from under the truck and use the magnet on a stick to retrieve the bung which you dropped in the oil on the eariler step. Now aren't you glad you bought that magnet and don't have to go back to the store. Replace the oil bung and tighten firmly. Go to top of truck and pour 14 quarts of oil in to the engine. Use the tube with the picture of an oil can on it and a funnel. If you don't own a suitable funnel add that to the wal-mart list above. Start truck to fill filter. Check oil filter housing and pan bung for leaks. Then shut off engine and check engine oil level. Don't forget to wait a few minutes to let it settle. You should need one more quart to get to full mark but you may not due to some that didn't completely drain. OK, you are all set. Be sure to save reciepts, they are your proof that you did the oil change. Now you need something to transport the old oil to the local parts place for recycle. I use a 5 gallon gas can from Lowes. transfer oil from pan to gas can and take to the recycle bin.

Or, call the ford dealer nearest your house and a good sports bar. Make appointment for oil change. Drop truck with service advisor, walk across street to sports bar. Order a sandwich and a cold whatever. Watch some sports, eat and relax. After an hour go back to dealer, pay $85 or so and drive truck home. Your oil and filter are about $55 at Walmart, more at Ford. The oil change at the dealer costs about twenty bucks. Now if they tell you it's more than $85 then you live in an area with no competition and it's probably worth it to do your own. Hope this was a real question and that this helps.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:33 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
likewise, I was just having some fun with y'all.