Sponsored by:

Bellarus.. Experience anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:42 AM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bellarus.. Experience anyone?

I was hoping that someone here had some pretty good info on these tractors.. dang thing is a USSR stamped monster sitting out back that hasnt run since its arrival.. Anyone here deal with them often?

Old 08-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 09-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Dean88
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Run run run away!!! I worked at a used equipment yard a few years back, and I never did figure them things out. We had three at one time, and I nearly went bald workin on them.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:29 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 3 neighbors that use them and swear by them.....every hay season they pull them out and go to work.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
They are amazing tractors when they run.

Though the gear system on them is quite confusing if you don't know how it works.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:34 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Had 1 delivered to a well site in Tartistan without 3 pistons or rods installed! This was not sup rising to the delivering agency as it is all abought number of units produced wether they run or not is beside the point and of no concern to them, as Dean said run or you can walk it won't be able to catch you!
Jim & fat Monty

Old 09-29-2011, 06:03 PM
BrockwayMT
Senior User
I'll never understand why so many people hate them. They've literally built a million. They are quite reliable but they have some quirks and need some care. They don't tolerate neglect as well as a JD 3020 will.

Many problems for first users are just related to not knowing how to use the slightly crazy controls. First, draft control. It's a big **** sticking out of the hydraulic control valve under the steering wheel. I'm not sure anybody this side of Minsk knows how to use it. Screw with draft control and your hydraulics will be all out of whack.

Ground drive PTO. There is a lever on top of the trans case (500 series) that shifts the PTO between normal engine drive and ground drive PTO. There may be a neutral in the middle I don't recall exactly. On later models this lever is on top of the trans case but under the floorboard so some people don't even know it's there.

Electrical shutoff behind the seat. You should shut it off when not using tractor. Obviously it won't start until you turn it back on.

Front axle bevel gears aren't the strongest. Loader work on high traction surfaces (like concrete) should be done in 2wd (not auto 4wd or 4wd). Pushing in a trench silo in 4wd will strip those front axle bevel gears.

Glow plugs. They can be near impossible to start in anything below tropical weather without glow plugs. These are known to fail. Glow plugs are series wired so when one goes bad none work. That includes the indicator glow plug in the dash.

Air cooled models - just like a Briggs you have to keep the grass and crap out of the fins. You plug the fins it'll overheat and cook the engine.

As I recall the Russian starter can be a troublemaker too. They aren't hard to find though.

That's all that comes to the top of my head at this point.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:53 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BrockwayMT
I'll never understand why so many people hate them. They've literally built a million. They are quite reliable but they have some quirks and need some care. They don't tolerate neglect as well as a JD 3020 will.

Many problems for first users are just related to not knowing how to use the slightly crazy controls. First, draft control. It's a big **** sticking out of the hydraulic control valve under the steering wheel. I'm not sure anybody this side of Minsk knows how to use it. Screw with draft control and your hydraulics will be all out of whack.

Ground drive PTO. There is a lever on top of the trans case (500 series) that shifts the PTO between normal engine drive and ground drive PTO. There may be a neutral in the middle I don't recall exactly. On later models this lever is on top of the trans case but under the floorboard so some people don't even know it's there.

Electrical shutoff behind the seat. You should shut it off when not using tractor. Obviously it won't start until you turn it back on.

Front axle bevel gears aren't the strongest. Loader work on high traction surfaces (like concrete) should be done in 2wd (not auto 4wd or 4wd). Pushing in a trench silo in 4wd will strip those front axle bevel gears.

Glow plugs. They can be near impossible to start in anything below tropical weather without glow plugs. These are known to fail. Glow plugs are series wired so when one goes bad none work. That includes the indicator glow plug in the dash.

Air cooled models - just like a Briggs you have to keep the grass and crap out of the fins. You plug the fins it'll overheat and cook the engine.

As I recall the Russian starter can be a troublemaker too. They aren't hard to find though.

That's all that comes to the top of my head at this point.
Those are excellent tips! I may have to PM you with a few more questions! One that plagues me.. Shut off.. I understand there is an ignition cut out under the seat of these tractors? True?

24 Volt system too I have discovered! LOL

Old 09-30-2011, 01:35 AM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
[QUOTE/]I'll never understand why so many people hate them. They've literally built a million. They are quite reliable but they have some quirks and need some care. They don't tolerate neglect as well as a JD 3020 will.[\QUOTE]
they also made a million Gaz army 1/4 ton jeep knock-offs & they weren't worth a ____ either! There's a reason they could never feed themselves! It's because the crap they built didn't work! If you don't believe me go work there for a year! Why we were afraid of these backward bafoons is beyond me! They think the Jeep Grand Cherokee is a miracle of reliability! There equipment has barley kept pace with 1950's technology and that's mostly copied from Fiat! Good luck if you choose to go with it but just realize whatyoure in for, we couldn't get parts in the eastern Bloc I'm not sure how you would fare here!
Jim & fat Comrade Monty

Old 09-30-2011, 07:07 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by hotroddsl
There's a reason they could never feed themselves! It's because the crap they built didn't work!
A little bit more goes into that then just equipment issues I'm afraid.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:24 PM
BrockwayMT
Senior User
Electrical shutoff or ground switch. Under or behind the seat depending on model. Just shuts off the electrical system. Engine stop is with the throttle.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:24 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tex25025
A little bit more goes into that then just equipment issues I'm afraid.
I don't mean just equipment! Supply chain, infrastructure, cast system, social medicine, if you need something you wrer better trying to find it on the black market than through normal govermrnt sources, but regardless of that the people just didn't really care no matter what you did you could not receive any better than the substandard crap everyone else had! The most depressing place I have ever worked! I'm sur they only make paint in 2 colors there sky blue and mustard yellow! Yuck!
Jim & fat Monty