Sponsored by:

Seat Belt Buckle doesn't click/latch easily

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 08:31 AM
ivory-tower
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat Belt Buckle doesn't click/latch easily

Just bought a 2005 Excursion (6l PSD, 143k on it). The driver's side seat belt buckle takes a mighty big push before it latches. If I just stick the seat belt in, it doesn't latch, I have to really jam it. Even then it doesn't "click" so much as just quietly latches. Passenger buckle works fine (clicks and latches easily).

Am I going to have to replace the whole buckle assembly? If so, would this interchange with an F250 (or F350) of the same year? I think the buckle changed between 2004 and 2005.

If I find one, will if be a difficult replacement procedure? I gather there's a wire running from it to light the seat belt lamp, anything else?

Thanks in advance... Newbie here, be gentle...

Old 08-18-2011, 09:26 AM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,680 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Hi IvoryTower (abbreviated to IT?)

Welcome to the forums. It's a good group that is always eager to have more participation. Feel free to post often.

Regarding the buckle, they seldom wear out. Check to make sure that nothing is hung up in it. A piece of a rag, animal hair, fabric softener sheets, etc. All kinds of weird objects can get to unimaginable places. Just explore the slot with an ice pick, wire, or narrow screw driver.

If there's nothing jammed in there, replace it. I'm a bit of a purist so I'd want one from another Excursion, but that's certainly not a requirement. Wrecked Excursions get parted out just like everything else.

Again, welcome to the forums!

Old 08-18-2011, 09:35 AM
ivory-tower
New User
Thanks BassFantasizer (fish or guitar?). I've fished (ahem) around in the buckle with a paper clip, and was not able to free anything, so I'm suspecting replacement. I wish there were a junked Excursion locally to get the part from, but there isn't (at least in any of the junkyards I've called), which is why I was looking for the interchange. Ford wants $71 for the part... :-/

Hopefully pulling/replacing it is not too involved (doesn't look like it should be)...

Cheers!

Old 08-18-2011, 09:37 AM
ivory-tower
New User
Oh, and the name was a rather dreadful pun attempt... See the Excursion is white, and, well, I'll be using it to, erm, tow, so, uh, "tower" and "tow-er", ya know? (*sigh*)

Old 08-18-2011, 09:50 AM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
The #1 rule around here is that bad puns will get you talked about. Other than that, post to your heart's content.

My handle comes from Bass (fishing) and Fan. But most forms of those two words are taken most everywhere. I found that BassFantasizer was available at my ISP about 20 years ago so I grabbed it there and the major free email sites and Instant Messaging systems.

At the time, I was also dating a woman about 5'8" 115# and allegedly made the claim that it was in reference to her "size B rear", but there were no witnesses to any such statement that may or may not have been made.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:35 AM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
F250 should cross over fine but since it is the safety latch, I'd consider just getting the new one from the dealer.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:31 AM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Hi IT,

See if the stap will stretch far enough to test the insert against the passenger buckle or a second seat buckle. It could be that the strap has been replaced and the wrong insert installed.

Also, one of the forum members is parting out an Excursion here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...rsion-xlt.html

Old 08-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Clic on the site sponsor (across the top of the web page) PartsGuyEd.com

He has great prices on Ford OEM parts and is a great source.
His web site will have you fill-out a request and they'll reply with
a price and part number.

I have bought new from Ed:
3rd row seat belt and spare tire cover and am very happy!