1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Old service station pics thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 08:16 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks like a corner in Chicago where there is a Mickey D's now.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:46 PM
EAK69
Senior User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well - I ended up buying the place in July of this year! I will be out there working on it trying to bringing it back to the former glory in the 1947 black and white pic.....

Originally Posted by EAK69
Love all of the old Route 66 stations - been to most of them and know the owners who still run them!!

Here is the ULTIMATE Route 66 gas station!

Front Street Garage - Galena KS on Route 66

It was built in 1896 and this pic was taken in the late 30's / early 40's.

It still is standing and a little birdie told me it will one day return to it's former glory!

AND - the side of the building has a mural painted on it from MANY decades ago:

Which was the inspiration not only for this mural scene in the movie 'Cars' - but the building itself was the inspiration for the town of Radiator Springs in the movie - John Lasseter said it himself in an interview about driving Route 66 and getting ideas for the movie.....

Old 09-16-2014, 06:05 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
That's very cool Ed. That place is a long ways from home for you though.
I just looked it up and it's only 20 minutes from my daughters college. I will need to find it when I'm down there next.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:35 AM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FP
So, I guess Gasohol wasn't a 70's thing after all.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:55 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by carnut122
So, I guess Gasohol wasn't a 70's thing after all.
Very interesting to to know that from the vintage picture. Of course the pic is owned by the Nebraska State Historical Society.

I wonder how much cheaper corn gas was compared to real gas in that day? And was it worth it?

Notice the ears of corn hanging from the pumps.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:11 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
It probably wasn't any cheaper, but more likely a way for the corn belt folks to "stick together" in the depression era, before the days of government subsidies. You can see the slogan at the bottom of the sign, to the background right; "Development means cornbelt prosperity." Likely E10 didn't work any better then than it does today, if not worse.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:34 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
I wonder how many problems it caused with various makes and models with rubber seals, o-rings, diaphragms, etc. 😱

Old 09-17-2014, 05:17 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by EAK69
Well - I ended up buying the place in July of this year! I will be out there working on it trying to bringing it back to the former glory in the 1947 black and white pic.....
Awesome!!!! Keep us posted!

Old 09-17-2014, 08:21 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
It probably wasn't any cheaper, but more likely a way for the corn belt folks to "stick together" in the depression era, before the days of government subsidies. You can see the slogan at the bottom of the sign, to the background right; "Development means cornbelt prosperity." Likely E10 didn't work any better then than it does today, if not worse.
I wonder if it was a way for the distilleries to stay in business during prohibition? Can anybody give me some years on those cars? Is the year 33 on the bottom left of the photo? I totally missed the corn hanging from the pumps.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:57 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
I would date the cars early 30s. If you have not done so, expand the corn gas picture and you can scroll to other very neat pictures of old gas stations. Photobucket

Old 09-17-2014, 09:00 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by carnut122
I wonder if it was a way for the distilleries to stay in business during prohibition? Can anybody give me some years on those cars? Is the year 33 on the bottom left of the photo? I totally missed the corn hanging from the pumps.
It looks like the date is 4/11/33..... Good eyes...
The 21st Amendment was ratified on Dec 5, 1933. This ended Prohibition by repealing the 18th amendment. So maybe distilleries did make corn alcohol for gas to stay in business. Good theory Car nut. That will take more research.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:33 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
I would date the cars early 30s. If you have not done so, expand the corn gas picture and you can scroll to other very neat pictures of old gas stations. Photobucket
I did that after you mentioned it. Those are some amazing shots. And I remember paying those prices for gas when I was a teenager driving my '57 Ford.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:52 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Anyone remember the gas price wars of the early 60s? I do because i was working part time at a service station while in HS. The station was owned by the oil company and my boss leased it by a certain cents per gallon pumped rather than a flat rent. He received a similar amount per gallon profit, any profits derived from service work was his to keep, he was required to buy the staples such as oil and air filters, batteries, motor oil, from the oil company. The oil company therefore owned the gas in the storage tanks and could set the selling price at whatever the market would bear. The year of the price wars the competing oil company stations would be ordered to adjust (lower) their prices several times a day! This strategy was also designed to drive the operator owned stations out of business since they had to buy their reserves at whatever the prevailing price their supplier was charging on the delivery day. If they wanted to try and compete for gas sales they were often forced to sell below cost. If their profits were primarily derived from gas sales and they hadn't set aside large cash reserves when profitable they were soon forced into bankruptcy. I clearly remember our district manager calling on the phone at least 4 times a day. First thing he would ask is what price the company owned station across the street was selling their gas at? Then he would have us reduce our price immediately to a penny less. During the hours I was working, immediately after "the call", I would have to get out the step ladder, climb up and change the price signs to the new price, then open the pumps and change the selling price. Of course the oil company across the street was doing the same thing, cutting our price, so I was spending more time changing numbers than pumping gas. I remember it getting as low as 17.9 cents per gallon!!!! Customers were filling up on the change in their pockets!

Old 09-18-2014, 10:13 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
I remember pricing and the gas wars quite well. It was common to burn over a hundred gallons a weekend between tow vehicle and boat.
Go here for an inflation adjusted pricing on gas. Wars not included.

Historical Gas Prices in the United States

Old 09-18-2014, 12:04 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
It's tough to wade through inflation figures because the government has a bias towards understating the actual rate. The official figure moving a fraction of a point can translate into huge increases in outlays for social security for example.

One thing to look at is how much fuel an hours worth of labor will buy. Minimum wage in the 60s was $1.25, so a teenager working at the Sonic could buy roughly 5 gallons. Today it might buy 2, although this is offset by better fuel economy.

Quick Reply: Old service station pics thread