1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1953 ford f100

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 07:09 PM
jpminihearts
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1953 ford f100

OK here goes I have a 53 f-100 and I have went so many different ways with it I don't know whether I'm coming or going, any way I thought I would put the cab on a ford ranger chassis so I striped said chassis and found out that there would be a lot of modification so I scraped that idea. Then I thought I would install a mustang 2 front suspension, but I have never done that so I scrapped that idea but now I want to go ahead with it but I don't want to install it wrong so I ask around and was told that the cross member would'nt work that I would need to build one so now i'm thinking I might just go with the straight axle but I know it's gonna ride really rough so I joined this ford forum to ask some experts lol WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ???

Now on to the rear end I was told that a ford 9" rear would fit in the back so I spent 250 for a ford 9" rear and when I tried it it was to long, so I ask around and was told that an late 70 early 80 ford rear would work so I paid 150 for a rearend and it was to long so I ask on the internet and was told that a ford exploder 8.8 would bolt right up so I paid 200 for an 8.8 rear and it is too long. A friend of mine had a ford ranger 2x4 v-6 5 speed, he felt sorry for me and gave me the truck the rear end is the right size but it is a v-6 how will that work with a v-8 ? again I am about ready to call up pacific and sell the whole lot to them and just buy one put together please if you guys could help me out thank you

Old 08-06-2011, 07:22 PM
sparky
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow lots of bad luck....... the 9" has to be prior to 73 to be the correct width (as 72 and back, check out the Tech articles on this site).....the Exploder axle would probably fit with the right offset on the rims......
Just for your info I have a Ranger that I jammed a 5.0L (302) into and I am still running the stock rear-end, 7.5" that used to be driven by a 2.9L V6, haven't blown it up yet and I haven't been easy on it either
I built another 302 Ranger that had the 7.5" that was formerly driven by a 2.5L 4 banger........... never broke that one either and the guy I sold it to has not broken it yet and he has really been abusing it.

ps
Where do you live and how much do you want for "the whole lot"

Old 08-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
The real experts will be along before too long. But in the mean time you can find some good info at. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...-articles.html

Here is info on Front suspension options:
Front Suspension Alternatives for 1948 - 1960 Ford Trucks, Part One .: Articles

Here is an article about what rear suspension will work.
1953 - 1956 F100 Rear End Selection and Rear Suspension Lowering .: Articles

Many have said that a newer frame is a lot of work and that using a frame made for your model is much better.

Post pictures, we love pictures.
Also, our experts can offer good suggestions on how to on anything you want to do. It could save you a lot of time and money.

By the way, welcome to FTE. There are a great bunch of guys here.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:36 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
UMMMMMMMMMM, You have a stock 1953 Ford F1. Sell it to someone who wants a stock 53 Ford F1 and buy what you want. Good non molested originals are getting hard to find.
Welcome to the forum.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:23 PM
jpminihearts
Freshman User
Wow thanks all for the support I think I found the right place thanks for having me

Old 08-06-2011, 11:45 PM
jpminihearts
Freshman User
wow why didn't I join this site a long time ago that was some great help all the axels I have are just out of the wrong years doesn't matter I think ill use the ranger rear and the 5 speed tranny I do know that it will bolt up to a 302 or a 351 small block now to figure out the ifs or straight lol i'll keep ya posted

Old 08-06-2011, 11:52 PM
sparky
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We aim to please

Old 08-09-2011, 12:24 AM
jpminihearts
Freshman User
well sparky I aim to please go visit my garage

Old 08-09-2011, 12:29 AM
jpminihearts
Freshman User
sorry my albums

Old 08-09-2011, 08:08 AM
53OlderThanMe
Elder User
Stick with the straight axle and get it on the road. I went the 9 inch route also but in retrospect it was a waste of time and money. Unless you are putting some serious horsepower to it the stock rearend will hold up just fine. You haven't stated your engine direction but SBF or SBC are easy fits. The stock rearend gearing may be high but with an overdrive transmission you'll be fine. Most important thing is get it running safely and drive it. I have no issues with my straight axle, on a smooth road surface its just as smooth riding as any IFS out there. Most roads and highways around me are just that, smooth. I have some good pictures on the website in my signature of my build that may help you. Good luck!

Old 08-09-2011, 01:31 PM
jpminihearts
Freshman User
yea but I already have it cut out I have a mustang 2 front end to go on it it still has the 4 lug lol I want to send you a pic of the rear end I bought it looks just like that one you have but is way to long btw your truck looks really good

Old 08-10-2011, 06:49 AM
53pickemuptruck
Senior User
I used Rand B's front frame graft on mine and their rear end kit also. Wasn't too hard to put in came with instructions that were pretty straightforward.I bolted everything up and had a welder come in and stick everything together,turned out pretty nice.Sets low to the gronnd have to take the running boards off to get a creeper under it.I think Rand B is out of business now but Fat man Fabrications probably has all you need to get there.I've got some shots of mine in my gallery check em out.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:19 PM
jpminihearts
Freshman User
Hey I just found out that the dodge diplomat 76-78 unbolts and will bolt right up to the ford F-100 frame maby I'll try that if I can find one lol

Old 08-10-2011, 05:29 PM
wakeboarder32
Senior User
A little off topic for this thread but what do all my FTE fans think about the five speed in these trucks? Is the conversion hard to do? i have a 56 f100, dropping a 408w into it, looking to be right around 500+ HP, can these manual transmissions handle the Hp and Torque without dumping a lot of money into them? I dont see many manuals out there with our trucks, any reasons? 25 days until i get out of the sandbox and get back to work on the truck! Thanks

Old 08-10-2011, 05:44 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
It really depends on what type of 5 speed you are talking about. The world class T-5 is supposed to be good for 295 horsepower. The heavy truck (granny + overdrive) are good for almost anything. Basically, if the 5 speed you are interested in was optional behind a diesel truck motor, you are good to go. Here are a couple links on 5 speeds: T-5 TTC: TREMEC Transmissions Tremec racing 5 speed Ford Racing Tremec 5-Speed Transmission - JEGS

Quick Reply: 1953 ford f100