Sponsored by: Moser

Looking at a new F150(2011)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:43 AM
Mo Power
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Firefighterjosh

I purchased a 2011 Supercrew XLT back in February and I love the truck except for one problem: shudder

The two piece driveshaft and the drivetrain angles seem to be causing shudder when the bed is loaded down (500-1000 lbs). Many people on here are frustrated about this problem.

My advice to you is to ask the dealer to load down the bed with some weight and take it for a test drive. If you feel the shudder - ask why it is doing this to the salesperson. If I experienced this shudder on my test drive, I would've waited for the 2012 trucks.

Ford has shot me down on numerous occasions and tells me this is normal.

You may want to wait for a 2012 model to see if this problem is addressed. I would hate for you to buy an expensive truck and be in my situation right now.

My 2 cents.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:30 AM
firefighterjosh
New User
Thanks for the info everyone! I read up on the frame issue and im not to worried on it now. The Eco boost scares me because it is a first year engine and two turbos on a v6 just makes me a bit nervous. How many miles do people have on there EB here?

Old 08-03-2011, 11:36 AM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
Have you looked at the ecoboost torture test videos? As far as reliabliity you really need not look anyfarther than your diesles. The ecoboost shares the exact same tech as the cummins. Turbo, DI. The fact that it has 6 pistons in a V shape vs your 6 pistons inline makes little difference.

The only real difference ist he TIVCT, which has shown no issues yet. But just fyi, it doesnt look like ford will be supporting modifications to the engine.

Id say pull the trigger on the Ecoboost. If your buyig the best half ton truck, then you should buy the best engine to go in it.

Nuff said.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:13 PM
Justjimmy
Senior User
Originally Posted by BURNSTOUGHFORD
Have you looked at the ecoboost torture test videos? As far as reliabliity you really need not look anyfarther than your diesles. The ecoboost shares the exact same tech as the cummins. Turbo, DI. The fact that it has 6 pistons in a V shape vs your 6 pistons inline makes little difference.

The only real difference ist he TIVCT, which has shown no issues yet. But just fyi, it doesnt look like ford will be supporting modifications to the engine.

Id say pull the trigger on the Ecoboost. If your buyig the best half ton truck, then you should buy the best engine to go in it.

Nuff said.
Firefighterjosh,

I respectfully ask that you look at BOTH engines and make your decision as to what YOU need.

5.0L is very good as well as the EB.

I'm NOT saying it's better, I'm saying they are BOTH great engines. Do your homework and make the decision that fits you.

Be aware however; that the EB folks will say they have the best thing since miniature marshmallows but so with the 5.0L folks.

REALLY not trying to start anything here.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:25 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by firefighterjosh
Thanks for the info everyone! I read up on the frame issue and im not to worried on it now. The Eco boost scares me because it is a first year engine and two turbos on a v6 just makes me a bit nervous. How many miles do people have on there EB here?
This is the first year in the F-150 but not the first year for the engine. I was available in the Lincolns and then it made it's debut in the Taurus SHO then the F-150. There is also a 2.0L Ecoboost available in the new Explorer.

Originally Posted by Justjimmy
Firefighterjosh,

I respectfully ask that you look at BOTH engines and make your decision as to what YOU need.

5.0L is very good as well as the EB.

I'm NOT saying it's better, I'm saying they are BOTH great engines. Do your homework and make the decision that fits you.

Be aware however; that the EB folks will say they have the best thing since miniature marshmallows but so with the 5.0L folks.

REALLY not trying to start anything here.
Not me Jimmy. I'd never say that the EB is better because I was on the fence and was prepared to go either way. I happened to like the black truck better than the white truck. I was ready to pull the trigger on the white 5.0L then I saw the black EB and fell in love.

I tested a couple 5.0 F-150's and all I can say is OMG! You can't lose either way.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:19 PM
PstrokeN
Senior User
i work with a buddy at the ford dealer ship in butte,mt and he got the white EB and loves the **** outta it says hell never get a diesel again he pulls his 11,000 lbs trailer with no problems at all cruise 80 at 1200 rpm he said just a nice truck!

Old 08-03-2011, 07:49 PM
firefighterjosh
New User
..Damn I love miniature marshmallows lol. Anyway I will look at both engines. Does the XLT come with adjustable pedals?

Old 08-03-2011, 07:50 PM
firefighterjosh
New User
Btw i think i am turning in to a ford guy now... I have been over at dodge forum for awhile now and reading through posts here I notice more people are happy with there fords.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:12 PM
dave91gt
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The thing to remember is Ford now has a full range of engines that are all incredible. Each are awesome. The previous 4.6 and 5.4 engines were good engines as well. But lets face it, the HEMI was appealing due to the power. That said, based on truck platforms alone, the F150 is as solid as it gets. The interior is massive and very comfortable. With the Dodge, you get an independent rear suspension. Funny the things they do when a decent trailer gets hitched up. It drops bad. Ive seen it. But thats no critical issue to you.
I beg you to go drive an ecoboost and a 5.0. I did and am in awe. And this is coming from a Ford guy anyway. The FX4 package will be my flavor when I buy and still need to decide on engine choice. Either engine would be plenty.
I cant say this enough. Go drive each.
Do it.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:23 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dave91gt
The thing to remember is Ford now has a full range of engines that are all incredible. Each are awesome. The previous 4.6 and 5.4 engines were good engines as well. But lets face it, the HEMI was appealing due to the power. That said, based on truck platforms alone, the F150 is as solid as it gets. The interior is massive and very comfortable. With the Dodge, you get an independent rear suspension. Funny the things they do when a decent trailer gets hitched up. It drops bad. Ive seen it. But thats no critical issue to you.
I beg you to go drive an ecoboost and a 5.0. I did and am in awe. And this is coming from a Ford guy anyway. The FX4 package will be my flavor when I buy and still need to decide on engine choice. Either engine would be plenty.
I cant say this enough. Go drive each.
Do it.
Dave, the Dodge is a live axle, not IRS, but it is a coil sprung rear and not leaf sprung.
Regardless, it's my opinion that the F150 is the best overall truck in the class. Others may have more capacity, more room, neat gismos, etc, but at the end of the day, the Ford gets the job done.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:21 AM
OmahaEcoBoost
Junior User
Originally Posted by firefighterjosh
..Damn I love miniature marshmallows lol. Anyway I will look at both engines. Does the XLT come with adjustable pedals?
Yes it does. It's not that helpful unless the driver is incredibly short IMO.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:50 AM
Justjimmy
Senior User
Originally Posted by OmahaEcoBoost
I also have the adjustable peddles and I agree, unless the driver is short, it's usless. My wife is short so she loves it.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:53 AM
dave91gt
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the correction about the live axle!
I actually meant coil spring.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:50 PM
firefighterjosh
New User
Originally Posted by OmahaEcoBoost
Vertically challenged is the word for us short folk! :P adjustable pedals would be great lol...