Shopping diesel, what made you choose a SD over other brands? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Shopping diesel, what made you choose a SD over other brands?

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Old 02-11-2018, 03:03 PM
Rush_Reed
New User
Rush_Reed is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hey y'all,

New to the group, from N. Georgia and a diesel for the most part. I have been going over threads for the last week or so and could use some feedback on the 2017/2018 F250 6.7.
I have read review after review from all the online rags. Edmunds, Motor Trend ect. The real reviews come from the owners though.
I have been driving Rangers although not comparable to a full size SD since the 90's and have had great experience with them. My current Ranger has about 257K miles on it and been a great deer buggy.

Even though it has been great truck there have been several times over the years where I could have really used a full sized truck to get things done. Not to mention I would just like to have a truck with more room. I started with the F150's but will need to pull more than 5000 pounds at times. I test drove a F250 loaded Lariat the other day and was really impressed, definitely a big step up from my Ranger. Drove nicely with all the creature comforts that I am not used to. really liked the 360 camera system being that the truck is so big.

My better half feels that I should be shopping the big 3 ( Ford / Chevy /Dodge). I have been looking at the the other manufactures (Chevy / Dodge) to keep her smiling but keep coming back to the F250. May be a bit of favoritism on my part.
I have never owned a Dodge or sat in one that I looked at and said "this is nice". I drove a 1500 a month or two back and they have gone to electronic selector **** to put the truck in gear. Some things were meant to remain mechanical.
Chevy trucks seem nice, although I haven't been able embraced the look of a Chevy unless it was a 60's muscle car. They have a fancy hood scoop now, but still have those squared off wheel wells. Throws the lines off, IMO.

Hope you will share what made you decide to go with your Ford SD truck over other mfg's. good , bad or ugly.

Looking foward to your replies.

Thanks again

Rush

Old 02-11-2018, 03:24 PM
UGA33
Post Fiend
UGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud of
What part of N. Ga are you from? I'm a Ford guy, so they will get first shot at my cash. BUT, all three make a good truck today and you owe it to yourself to go drive all 3.

I do feel Ford edges out the other two though. For me, Ford has advantages in some areas.

The GMs look great, but they seem to be the most problematic of the bunch at the moment. D/Max and Alison are a great combo, but they have had a bunch of teething issues with the L5P. I feel their interiors are behind Ford and Ram. Hate where they mount the DEF tank. Also, no tuning for them currently. Ain't looking promising either.

The only beef I have with the Rams are their auto transmissions. They are more reliable than they use to be, but they still shift like crap. I love their exhaust brake and think they have nice interiors and look great overall.

My beef with my 2017 Super Duty are the brakes don't feel as strong as my 2012. I also don't think the A/C is as good as my old truck. Other than that, it's overall miles ahead of anything on the road. When you factor in the technology, capability, 6r140, great overall reliability of the 6.7, frame and axle upgrades, LED headlights, power running boards, etc, it's a great pickup.

I think Ford has the best overall truck right now. Looks are subjective. GM seems to have conceded the towing wars at the moment as Ford and Ram have left them in the dust. I think the most honest answer you get on a Ford site is to go test all 3 and pick what you like. All 3 are good trucks.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:26 PM
Rockinfigs
Senior User
Rockinfigs is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ive owned a chevy full size blazer and a 2002 ford f350 cclb ..the blazer's tranny ended up dying on me on the freeway..wasnt fun..the ford was lifted w 37 in tires and i had about 130k miles on it..no problems whatsoever..To me all 3 big name trucks have good and bad stuff about the trucks...I never owned a dodge but i have friends that do and they love em..So to me it came down to comfort, options and looks...The fords look so much better then the chevy and the dodge..I think dodge trucks are one ugly looking trucks..but thats just me. Also there is no close by Dodge dealers near my location so getting services done would suck. Like you i hate the squared off wheel wells on the chevy and that awful looking box hanging down on the passenger side of the chevy trucks. Plus i didnt want a IFS..i wanted the straight axle fronts. Overall the f250 lariat unltimate had everything i wanted and needed.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:35 PM
harmanrk
Senior User
harmanrk is starting off with a positive reputation.
GM and FCA become non-considerations for me with the bailout. Simple as that.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:45 PM
CBEllis
Senior User
CBEllis is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ride Height and comfort was a big factor, drivability was another - with the solid front axle, the 6.7L is just a beast of a motor and itís fine tuned now IMO. Resale value is stout (although I donít plan on selling for a long time). Fuel economy is solid. Theyíre not the number one selling truck 40 years running without reason...the number one reason was that my bride likes climbing up into it.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:58 PM
wrvond
Posting Guru
wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.
Chevy Duramax - are they ashamed their diesel is made by Izuzu? They sure work hard to hide it.
I really despise their commercials - putting a notch in the rear bumper corner is not a bold, new, inventions. It makes getting in and out of the bed no easier than the step at the license plate. Ford's step, on the other hand, is truly functional and useful if you are in and out of there a lot.
Due to their commercials, I wouldn't buy a Chevy. I would look at GMC over Chevy - there is a difference between them.
Every Dodge I have ever owned aged very quickly - especially the front end suspension and steering parts. Don't know why, but they seem to wear out quickly to me. Seems like all Dodge trucks are white or primer black, too. I do like their rear fenders on the dually's better than Ford's though. Much smoother and more integrated. Dodges are characterized by most as an engine looking for a truck.
Ford has really nailed it with the transmission. And the 6.7L is an engineering marvel. The intake is on the bottom and the exhaust is at the top - this results in little to no turbo lag. I personally admire innovative thinking.
The diesel engines are very vulnerable to water. You really have to stay on top of your filters. You cannot afford to skip or even delay maintenance for any length of time.
I don't have a problem with independent front suspension since I am not turning my truck into a rock climber I'm not worried about maximum articulation. The solid front axle is subject to death wobble, which is a negative.
I really like the interior ergonomics of my Ford, too.
Something to consider is going with an F350 rather than an F250. They don't cost much more and will give you more cargo carrying capacity. Also, if you don't really have a need for diesel, look into the 6.2L gasser - it is a great engine. Absolutely bullet proof.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:03 PM
cficare
Posting Guru
cficare has a good reputation on FTE.cficare has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by harmanrk View Post
GM and FCA become non-considerations for me with the bailout. Simple as that.
Had to laugh when Obama said GM "paid off" what they owed when in fact a large portion of GM ownership was transferred to the USA. GM has come to mean Government Motors.

Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2018, 04:45 PM
jbrnigan
Senior User
jbrnigan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Was really simple for me. My trucks are used exclusively for towing my RV'(s) - they are not daily drivers. My previous trucks had all been fully loaded "big block" gassers, until my last truck, a Tundra. It towed my 8K RV well, and was probably the best truck I ever owned. But, I really missed the big horsepower and torque. So, sold the Tundra and bought a Tacoma, and ordered a Super Duty PSD because it made the "most" horsepower and torque - the fact it was a Ford Super Duty (have never owned a Ford truck) was really secondary for me. Being Motor Trends truck of the year (2017) was a plus.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:53 PM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
Strokin-A-2010 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I chose a Super Duty cause I wanted a one ton SRW truck but needed to be rated to tow 20k pounds. Ford is the only brand that offers that. Plus the cab is bigger than the other two brands.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:55 PM
acadianbob
Elder User
acadianbob is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.acadianbob is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Check out the payload on a diesel F250 and then buy/order a diesel F350.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:57 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have owned Chevy and Dodges and I did my due diligence before buying my F250 CCSB, FX4, 6.7. I traded an '07 F350 CCLB 2wd 6.0 that I had owned for 10 years. It was a good truck but looking back I probably would have been better off with the Dodge/Cummins due to the time/expense of dealing with the 6.0. I had it bullet proofed and liked the motor/transmission combination but it was more to deal with than the Cummins would have been.

I have a very good friend that buys a new truck every couple of years. About a year ago he traded his '14 Dodge Cummins 2500 for a '17 Chevy 2500 Duramax. Within a month the truck started with the driveline vibration that many GM owners are having. He owns an independent automobile service business and neither he nor the dealers can solve the problem.

When I was shopping the first truck I test drove was the Dodge. It was a very nice truck and the Cummins is a great motor. I figured either the Ford or GM would have to be VERY good to beat it. Next I drove the Chevy Duramax. I liked it. A very nice truck as well, comparable to the Dodge, or maybe a little nicer to drive but I have concerns about GM's history with Duramax injectors, Silverado brake lines, and my previous GM trucks nickel and dimed me to death. At this point I had kinda figured that due to the more aggressive pricing I would probably buy a Dodge. The GM bailout didn't help either. I really didn't want to buy from Government Motors or FCA.

Then I drove a Super Duty. A 250 Lariat CCSB FX4. The Ford is a better truck across the board. Every category I looked at the Ford was better except for price and mileage. Quality was better. Fit and finish was better. Ergonomics in the cockpit were better. It was more comfortable. Ride and Handling was waaaay better than the Dodge and noticeably better than the GM. The final nail in the Dodge coffin was the 6.7. The Cummins is good but the 6.7 PS is so much better. More power and its so smooth and quiet.

The Dodge does get slightly better mileage and is cheaper but the Ford has way more power and resale more than offsets the higher price.

I should note that I do consulting work for many of the auto manufacturers and last winter I spent the better part of a month in Arizona testing and evaluating trucks for one of the truck manufacturers. They provided multiple examples of every brand. Ford, GM, RAM, Toyota and Nissan. The Fords were easily the class of the field.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:00 PM
Dagwood_55
Junior User
Dagwood_55 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a '16 Dodge 2500. Good truck, good diesel, junk transmission. In 3 weeks or so, when my '18 F350 gets here, I will be changing the zip code on the Dodge.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:03 PM
stufarmer
Elder User
stufarmer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Until my mid 20's, I grew up working around the Service Dept in our Families Car Dealerships. Chevrolet, Cadillac, Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth, Toyotas & Mazdas. The Chevrolets Trucks were so bad our AAA Tow trucks were Fords. We also sold Dodge's when the Cummins came out in the 80's. People bought Dodges for the Engines reputation, thinking they would last forever. While the Cummins ran well enough, the Dodge part couldn't get past 100K without rattling apart. Is the same true today ?? Idk. The worst thing I know about Fords is the 6.0's, otherwise they've always been solid trucks.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:06 PM
Snowman 8
Senior User
Snowman 8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I’ve always owned Fords and I’ve never owned anything else. Sitting in a Ram or GM they just feel weird to me I guess. You can’t go wrong with any of the new F-series. I would just ask the question of if your only pulling maybe a 5000 pound trailer why would you want a super duty. You sure don’t need one for that. An F150 would be plenty of a truck for that trailer, I pull our 7000 pound boat all the time with my wifes 2016 F150 and hardly know its there. A super duty will do it even better but it will just cost you more money, a lot more if you buy the 6.7 diesel.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:23 PM
wirelessengineer
Senior User
wirelessengineer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by UGA33 View Post
The GMs look great, but ... I feel their interiors are behind Ford and Ram.

This is weird. Or maybe, it's just consistent.

Back in the 80s I installed two-way radios and cellular phones for a living for a few years. Consistently, the interiors of GM products were of inferior quality compared to Ford & Dodge. Not talking about the looks or amenities, just how well they held up. Put a phone in a 5 year old truck and you see behind the scenes, so to speak.

Fast forward to about 6 years ago, and I'm getting a new 4500 watt power inverter installed in a van. Not doing that work anymore myself. Picked the van up at the shop that did the installation, checked out their work. Great work - real craftsmanship. Got to chatting with the shop owner, told him what I thought of his work and why I was qualified to say that - one installer to another. Asked his opinion of GM interior quality.

Same as mine from a couple of decades ago. Nice looking, but just don't hold up.

Go figure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shopping diesel, what made you choose a SD over other brands?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.