1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Electrical woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 04:29 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Electrical woes

Hey guys,
I've been driving my 84 Ford F250 quite a bit lately. Yesterday the speakers on my radio were working great and then I hit a bump and they stopped working, but the radio was still on. Today I went out and thought that the headunit (aftermarket JVC) was loose on the speaker connections, I checked those and they tested out good. I then went ahead and pulled my stereo just to see what was going on. I put the stereo back in and now the stereo won't turn on. The stereo is wired directly into the battery, while the speakers are also hard wired (until I find what my radio connector codes are).

I also noticed that my lights (low beams) don't work, but my park lights, brakes and turns work. I can turn my brights on and they work good.

I also noticed a weird wiring issue where if I am running a powerpoint in the 12v socket I get weird back feed through my radio that changes with the acceleration/noise of the motor.

Anyway I checked about everything that I could and found nothing on my check list.

Last edited by ctubutis; 07-30-2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling in title, looked too much like "ladies of the evening" ;)
Old 07-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
For the headlights, that's probably the dimmer switch in the floor. Your radio may have a grounding problem,. especially if you just stuck it back in the hole with no bolts to the case. The bad ground is also probably the cause of the noise in the radio. I would bolt a wire to the case of the radio, and then bolt the other end to a good metal ground under the dash somewhere.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:26 AM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Franklin2
For the headlights, that's probably the dimmer switch in the floor. Your radio may have a grounding problem,. especially if you just stuck it back in the hole with no bolts to the case. The bad ground is also probably the cause of the noise in the radio. I would bolt a wire to the case of the radio, and then bolt the other end to a good metal ground under the dash somewhere.
Sorry for the spelling ct, been a bad day for me. Found that my front license plate has gone missing, amongst my other pickup troubles lol. Looks like mileage on my pickup is about 6mpg no matter if I am doing 65 down the freeway or just creeping along.

Anyway back on subject. I pulled the radio and got it working again, I disconnected the actual ground on the radio harness and hardwired it into the metal dash brackets, good there. I also pulled my left speaker wires and re did that. I'm not sure if it matters but I used a light up tester and tested the left wires coming from the harness and they didn't light up. Gonna try again tomorrow on this little deal.

The floor switch still no dice, I get lights when I hit the floor dimmer switch which is brand new, but on the last pull of the actual headlight switch I have no problems except for what I am assuming is my low beams.

I will go ahead and rectify this ground issue on the radio case just incase I somehow lost a chassis ground or something and it is causing all the issues.

In any case, I'm off for the day need to rest up after the bad day and prepare for a month of hell cutting wheat.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:02 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
I went out today and messed around with the radio no dice. I think this one will be taking a trip to JVC repair. According to the tech it sounds like a blown internal amp, how that happened I have no clue.

On another note, I installed a brand new battery less than a month old and it has been going dead on me. Last night when I pulled the radio I left it unhooked and today the battery was dead. It helped to eliminate one culprit from the fuse issue.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:21 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by glovemeister
Anyway back on subject. I pulled the radio and got it working again, I disconnected the actual ground on the radio harness and hardwired it into the metal dash brackets, good there. I also pulled my left speaker wires and re did that. I'm not sure if it matters but I used a light up tester and tested the left wires coming from the harness and they didn't light up. Gonna try again tomorrow on this little deal.
There may not be enough electricity to turn a light bulb on from the radio speaker wires. Test speaker wires using a multimeter set to ohms, and check the continuity with the speakers and radio connectors removed.

The floor switch still no dice, I get lights when I hit the floor dimmer switch which is brand new, but on the last pull of the actual headlight switch I have no problems except for what I am assuming is my low beams.
With your test light, or multimeter, check the headlamp connector where it plugs into the headlight. Red/black wire. If you have power at the connector at that wire, (with the headlamp switch in the on position, and the dimmer switch in the lowbeam mode) change your headlights and/or check the ground wire. If no power go on to next step.

If no power, check the Red/black wire at the dimmer switch. You can use a jumper wire to jump the Red/Yellow wire and Red/Black wires together for a test. If your lowbeam headlamps come on, then it's the dimmer switch. If they don't then it's a wiring problem. Red/Black wire.

I will go ahead and rectify this ground issue on the radio case just incase I somehow lost a chassis ground or something and it is causing all the issues.

In any case, I'm off for the day need to rest up after the bad day and prepare for a month of hell cutting wheat.
Bad grounds can cause all sorts of weirdness. There should be an electrical noise supressor on the radio. The 12V cigar lighter does not have any radio suppression at all, as it was only designed to light cigars or cigarettes for a short period. So this might be a problem you can't fix without modification or adding aftermarket suppressors to the cigar lighter circut.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:25 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
There may not be enough electricity to turn a light bulb on from the radio speaker wires. Test speaker wires using a multimeter set to ohms, and check the continuity with the speakers and radio connectors removed.

With your test light, or multimeter, check the headlamp connector where it plugs into the headlight. Red/black wire. If you have power at the connector at that wire, (with the headlamp switch in the on position, and the dimmer switch in the lowbeam mode) change your headlights and/or check the ground wire. If no power go on to next step.

If no power, check the Red/black wire at the dimmer switch. You can use a jumper wire to jump the Red/Yellow wire and Red/Black wires together for a test. If your lowbeam headlamps come on, then it's the dimmer switch. If they don't then it's a wiring problem. Red/Black wire.

Bad grounds can cause all sorts of weirdness. There should be an electrical noise supressor on the radio. The 12V cigar lighter does not have any radio suppression at all, as it was only designed to light cigars or cigarettes for a short period. So this might be a problem you can't fix without modification or adding aftermarket suppressors to the cigar lighter circut.
Thanks so much bud. I really do appreciate your help, trying to learn here but just sad that I got it up to daily driver status and had a bunch of problems pop up.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:28 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master

Quick question though. Would the low beams work one day and then all of a sudden a wiring issue would pop up?

Old 07-31-2011, 03:00 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
It's possible yes.

The dimmer switch on the floor and the wire connection are prone to water damage.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:07 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
It's possible yes.

The dimmer switch on the floor and the wire connection are prone to water damage.
Interesting, the floor dimmer switch is brand new. So I guess what could be happening is that what I am mistaking for my low beams are being out is actually my high beams? I just went out and ran some tests. I pulled both headlight connections and with the light switch on I had no power at all to either. I reconnected one side and then I had power but no lights (did this to both sides to see if one side was the issue.) I then hit the floor beam switch and I had lights. Both grounds are good, on unpainted metal.

I honestly am not thinking it would be a wiring issue, is it possible that me actual headlight switch has gone bad and it would give me all my other functions but no low or high beams/vice versa?

I also checked the radio and had no movement on my multitester at all on every function, in terms of the speakers.