Holley Carb - 1850(4160) Flooding...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 10:15 AM
North42g
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Holley Carb - 1850(4160) Flooding...

Hello,
I am the owner of a 1969 Ford Bronco with a 1972 302 V8.
Sitting on top is a Offenhauser Intake & a Holley 4 barrel[List:1850-4(4160)]
The truck hasn't run in over twelve years. Until the other day.
I gave it a full tune-up. I replaced most of the Ignition system[ IG Coil, Plugs, Wires, Points, etc...]
I also replaced the Regulator, Battery, Starter &7 almost all Electrical lines/Wires inbetween.

Anyways, when it came time for the Carburator; It started & ran with a very high idle and was leaking fuel from 3 or 4 places...alot of fuel.
So I decided to rebuild it.
I went to the local Holley Guy and got the proper kit.
Rebuilt it and followed the instructions to a "Tee".
(I have a background in Automotive Repair - I'm a technician by trade; but the newer stuff is what I know...EFI, MPFI, SPFI, etc..Carburation is relatively new to me, I had never rebuilt a carb untill the other day.)

The Carb is a Holley 4 barrel List: 1850-4(4160) manual choke.
It keeps flooding out and stalling out the motor.
I tried various adjustments and was talking to a few guys on the 1966-1977 FTE Early Bronco Forums- After we did all we could I was recomended to this forum.

So I cant get her to run initially. It instantly floods out. But after she dries out a bit, I can get her running. But as soon as I dunk the fuel lines into the one gallon gas tank(I made a make shift fuel cell to get the engine running- after sitting for twelve - fifteen years it'll probably need a total ground up overhaul.)
Seems like it gets way to much fuel as soon As I dunk the line into the tank.

So what should I try? I have all ready tried turning in the Idle adjustment needles. I turned them in all the way and then out 1 & 1/2 turns on both sides.
As far as the float needle adjustment - I did it dry on the bench at first. Holley site said to invert the bowl[turn it up side down] and turn adjustment until float is level.
I can get the engine running well enough to try the adjustment wet.
So I did this but it keeps flooding out ans instantly stalls out. So what should I do!!??
This is really starting to bother me!
You should know that the previous owner did some modifications to the carb: The secondary throttle plates have been frozen shut [unpurpose]so they won't open. Apperently it was too powerful for the young lady who drove it.
Also it is missing some of the Choke Linkage On the passenger side of carb- it should totally run like this but like I said...it floods out.
Thank you for any advice!!!

Old 07-24-2011, 11:28 AM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Mechanical pump or electric?

You need to lower the floats. Remove the site plugs in the side of the bowls and lower the floats until the level stays just below the holes.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:20 PM
North42g
Junior User
Originally Posted by LxMan1
Mechanical pump or electric?

You need to lower the floats. Remove the site plugs in the side of the bowls and lower the floats until the level stays just below the holes.
Mechanical fuel pump - I have lowered the floats all the way...maybe the float is bad? It is made from plastic. The carb is at least 20 years old.
I dunno. I'm stumped!

Old 08-10-2011, 05:29 PM
North42g
Junior User
For the record I mis read the carb. It is a 1851-4, not a 1850-4. I don't know that it will make any difference when trying to correct a flooding issue. Just thought I would mention it,

It is still flooding. I can't figure it out. I was going to try replaceing floats next.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:01 PM
LxMan1

If you lowered the floats and it still floods, it may have a piece of debris in the needle and seat causing it to not shut off. It only takes a very small piece to hang one open.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:24 PM
DrainBramage
Senior User
+1 for needle and seat assemblies. Are the floats brass or plastic? Can you shake them and hear fuel sloshing around inside? You may also want to get a cheapie inline fuel pressure gauge such as this MrGasket fuel pressure gauge from Summit. Anything over 5-6psi is going to push past the needle and flood you out. Have you tried setting the floats super low just to confirm it CAN seal? Are you getting fuel out of the vents?

There is a lot of things that can go wrong with a carb when its been sitting for 20+ years. Other than the rebuild, what troubleshooting steps have you already taken?

Old 08-13-2011, 05:34 PM
North42g
Junior User
Well, when I rebuilt, I thought I took great care in making sure to clean out every orifice and the like with compressed air. Maybe I should check again.
I haven't taken out the floats yet as now that I'm back working, there isn't much free time for "play."
What do you think of getting my hands on a Fuel Pressure gauge to check the line pressure? Where would I hook it up? inline just before carb fuel inlet, just after fuel filter?

I thought I had tried lowering the floats - all the way - to see if there was any change, I don't think that there was. [clockwise lowers them & counter clockwise raises them , right?]

Old 08-14-2011, 12:32 AM
DrainBramage
Senior User
Yep, fuel pressure gauge is inline, should install anywhere between the pump and the carb. I'll pull out my Holley stuff tonight and take a look, I've been playing with the Autolites quite a bit recently.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:39 AM
wdfp
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure your power valve is seated correctly with the gasket and tight enough. Most kits have gaskets for different carbs, be sure you used the right ones when you take it back apart..

Old 08-17-2011, 05:14 PM
North42g
Junior User
Originally Posted by wdfp
Make sure your power valve is seated correctly with the gasket and tight enough. Most kits have gaskets for different carbs, be sure you used the right ones when you take it back apart..
I will double check that. Thank You for your insight.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:22 PM
LxMan1

Originally Posted by North42g
Well, when I rebuilt, I thought I took great care in making sure to clean out every orifice and the like with compressed air. Maybe I should check again.
I haven't taken out the floats yet as now that I'm back working, there isn't much free time for "play."
What do you think of getting my hands on a Fuel Pressure gauge to check the line pressure? Where would I hook it up? inline just before carb fuel inlet, just after fuel filter?

I thought I had tried lowering the floats - all the way - to see if there was any change, I don't think that there was. [clockwise lowers them & counter clockwise raises them , right?]
I have seen a small piece of rubber fuel line get in them from then the hose was cut before installation.
If checking fuel pressure, it should be no more then 6.5psi. 4 to 6 is optimum.