1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT just a quick update

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 03:58 AM
tardster
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OT just a quick update

Just wanted to let you all know I'm still alive and kickin. This move has kicked my butt though. Just a quick safety tip for everyone, never un-hook your trailer before you unload a fridge or you might end up being the cushion between the pavement and fridge, like me . I'm hoping to have this move done this weekend and then things can get back to normal...

Old 07-21-2011, 06:58 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
I feel for you, moving sucks.

I learned a similar lesson with a trailer once....never stand over the tongue when unhitching from the truck.

Bobby

Old 07-21-2011, 07:57 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
well ed 'bout time we heard from you . starting too dissapear like me for long periods of time eh................. still in auburn i takes it . welp good luck on the move and we'll talk at you later ! gotta go back to work ............................

Old 07-21-2011, 08:44 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Biggest tip I can get about moving is try not to be around when some one is moving. I've always had pickups, it's amazing how many friends and relatives you have when you have a pickup for moving day. Buy a nice big car trailer with removeable sides and you will find even more friends. Also, I've never moved anyone from first floor to first floor, it's always second/third floor to second/third floor, with no elevator with twisting stairways, on either the hottest day or the coldest. Also, no matter what the person moving agrees to they'll never, ever have everything packed and ready to move, plan to stand around half the day watching them pack boxes. As you can tell, I hate moving.

Moving dozens of people over the years, moving heavy furniture, appliances and boxes up and down stairs I kept track of everyone I helped move and planned to call in the favor when I moved. I moved once, when I got married. I had a small stero system and 2 boxes of person items, that was it. I've amassed a lot more since getting married over 23 year ago and some day I will move and I will call in all the favors. I'll bet a lot of people will be out of town that day.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:58 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I used to be a professional mover in my younger days. Let me tell you, it's not a fun job. The only positive result was me getting fit during that time.

Bob, let me know when you're ready to move. I'll come with my trailer and help you move... all of your trucks and parts to my house.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:46 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Take it easy in this heat - It will put you down quicker than a runaway Fridge.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by tardster
or you might end up being the cushion between the pavement and fridge...
What is the difference between a fridge magnet and a fridge cushion...........……………not much !

Old 07-21-2011, 03:31 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
I've always owned trucks also, and have always had to help everyone move. I can't count the times I've moved my sis-in-law....ugh

Its not so bad now a days, my daily driver is a Suburban and my company truck has a shell on it. When people ask me for help moving I offer to lend them my 6'x10' utility trailer. Sometimes it works out where I can just lend them the trailer without my muscle to go along with it....lol

Bobby

Old 07-21-2011, 05:18 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Tardster,

I read your other posts, I should have said something in my first post on this subject but got caught up with the bad part about moving. I hope your post means things are starting to look up for you. I know it's going to take some time but it'll all work out.

More about moving, the one type of moving I like doing is helping people pick up old cars and trucks. My wife gets ticked off at me because the only thing I ask is gas money and a non-MacDonald's meal if it's going to be a long distance haul. She thinks I waste a lot of time and put wear and tear on my truck and trailer without getting compensated for it. I explained it to her that it's the thrill of the long drive with a couple of goofy guys talking guy BS and meeting more guys talking BS. It's about crawling around and under a rusty car that doesn't have free spinning wheels, getting muddy or digging out 3 feet of snow to get a vehicle out of it's resting place of the last 15 years. About the time with the guys with the shot guns in the middle of nowhere. The tire blowing out on the interstate in the middle of a construction zone. All that fun kind of stuff that make for great stories. She just doesn't understand the experience is worth more than any amount of money.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:47 AM
tardster
Elder User
When this "deal" with the house first went bad I was pissed off and wanted to do un-mentionable thing to people but now I'm to the point where yea I'm still upset but I want to becarefull with what I do and say around my son. He's not quite 2 yet but he already helps me and copies everything I do so I want to teach him how to do/handle things right. So far I'm abit behind on the move itself because of the heat but hopefully I'll have it done this weekend...