1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Who's missing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 01:08 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Who's missing?

I've been on FTE since almost the start, somewhere around 1996 even thought the date on my posts say 2001. I was on here when there was only a hand full of members, one page and a digest that was sent out via email every day or so. Over all these years I've seen a lot of people come and go and the tone of the sight change from mostly stockers to modifiers and everything in between. Along the way I've become acquainted with many interesting people and every now and then some one will mention a past member that I've forgotten about. It's easy in our busy every day life to lose track of people, especially ones you only know via the net.

There have been a few recent posts that have got me thinking about old friends I haven't heard from in a long time and who haven't posted on FTE in some time. The thing is if one of the members would fall sick, or worse, how would anyone know? Hellfirejim's situation is a prime example, he's having a bit of a hard time and fortunately one of the other members thought about him and posted his concerns and there was a great outpouring of support for Jim and I am sure the well wishes have helped him. There have been other times on FTE and other boards I visit that a relative of a poster will post with news about a member's illness or death. I find these very helpful to help keep everyone in touch. In my case if something was to happen that would prevent me from posting none of my relatives would ever think of making a post on my behalf. Even if I requested them to do so I doubt they would.

The reason for this post is to ask everyone to think of some one they have met here and haven't heard from for a while and try to contact that person. They might have just moved on to something else but it would be interesting to see some of the old members make a post to let us know what's up with them. Maybe if you haven't heard from them in a while and it turns out they're having problems maybe a few get well emails might make them feel better. If you get a response ask them to post to this thread. If you think of some one and don't have contact information post their FTE name here, maybe some one who has can let them know we're thinking of them.

Havi recently asked about Irondragon, anyone hear from him in a while. The last I heard he was busy with a new job. I think I'll drop him a line and ask him to stop by.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:23 PM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
Good post Bob, I was wondering the other day about Wallford, Bill, I think from Ohio, also about Brian, I think from Arkansas? I remember he had a kidney transplant. I hope they are both doing well.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:32 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Yeah, good thread, Bob. One who has changed jobs and moved is 1952/1952henry. Once life gets out of the way I suspect he'll be back. Stu

Old 07-16-2011, 01:48 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Great thread, Bob. Here's but a few:
Col. Flashman
Himmelberg
Ferguson777
christopher2
don mckay
irondragon

Brian B. is doing ok, as I have him on my friend's list on FB.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:40 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Havi you've brought up a lot of names from the past. Please, if anyone knows any member who hasn't been around lately, and has a way to contact them, ask them to stop by.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Good thread bob, and my wife and had this discussion before. If something were to happen to me, she's goin to get on all my forum boards and tell everyone about it. I think thats a good idea for all of us to have someone to post for us a farewell if we were to die just to let everyone else know what happened. We've all met some great folks over the years and The Good Lord knows that death is no respector of age. I had a good friend die just last year and he was just 2 years older than I am (He was 42) thats when I got the idea of tellin my wife to do this for me. I also carry a note in my wallet that has my home contact info in case something happens while I'm riding my bike or driving the old truck. I dont have any credit cards or any other things other than driver's license but that woud give someone that came up on an accident the number to call. Maybe a little morbid, but also you have to think ahead too.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:38 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Walford and I exchange emails he's working on Earl as well as others - Everyonce in a while I look up someones name and see when their last activity was - Usually they check FTE at least once a week - Just a bunch of Lurkers now - I too see some on FB, Dwayne for example.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 765 Likes on 375 Posts
Anyone heard how George is doing? The former owner of Earl?
His information was always very helpful and I still review Earl's World. Very good Stuff.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:09 PM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts
This was--surprisingly--also a somwhate-recent(about a year ago) topic on a more "younger" populated automotive forum I visit. It was on of the closest forums I have been on, but it never had that kind of bond. Then one day a member posted a thread and--I swear--said this EXACT same thing:
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
The thing is if one of the members would fall sick, or worse, how would anyone know?
It was a good point, but most of the people on that forum were quite young with very few being over the 25 year mark. So most of the "closest" members already knew and talked to each other on other networking sites and in person.

To say the least I try and keep my internet life COMPLETELY separate from my real life the best I can, so I couldn't really relate to that forums plea nor can I to this ones.

Point is the concern is amazingly care-full. I can't believe some people on the internet could be so nice. I do know one other member from here in person, and we talk somewhat frequently.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:26 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 609 Likes on 379 Posts
I'm surprised someone doesn't make an "app" for this, a kind of farewell thing if you don't log in for xx number of days. That would suck if you went on vacation and forgot to turn it "off" tho!

What surprises me is how many people I "know" on the Old Ford forums who are still active on-line, and are at this minute sick or even dying, and don't say a word about it in their posts. Kind of goes with the territory, the audience for old Fords and flatheads is mostly pretty old.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:34 PM
edzakory
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. - Henry David Thoreau

The “music we hear” changes or loses it importance as we face the everyday challenges of life. The love of old trucks is but one of those chapters.

The posts and threads on this forum allow us to formulate the personality of “the man behind the curtain”. You take note of which monikers are the master mechanics (AXracer), the visionaries (Drewski 2), the craftsmen (Stephen67), the jokesters (4tl8ford) to name a few. When they go silent for awhile, we oft fear the worst.

So, for those that hasn’t posted in a spell:

Get outta our dreams, get into our trucks.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:15 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Whatever happened to "JuliesCoolF1"? TEE HEE

Old 07-17-2011, 12:50 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
I think us darksiders drove the old crowd away.
If yall see this you know you are nodding in agreement.
I personally miss fordman75(I know he is around but he dont post as much), i missed Drewsky's post but he's back and the owner of earl is the one who lead me to this site.
I often go to the first threads from 2000 and wander where all these people are.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:42 AM
1oldtimer
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan

Old 07-17-2011, 07:03 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 765 Likes on 375 Posts
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
DUDE!!! You might force a thread resurrection.

Quick Reply: Who's missing?