1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front 40/20/40 in crew cab rear?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 10:51 AM
3cv
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front 40/20/40 in crew cab rear?

Having searched myself to death without much luck I thought I would just ask.

I have a 01 F350 CC and need head rests in the back for the kids. I see mention that front seats will mount in the back but I can't find examples of people having done it, nor the perfect thing which would be pics of it.

I have the XLT and would love to just put an identical 40/20/40 in the back but its a bit of a leap for me to go through the effort to get another front seat setup and then just hope it really works.

I see the back bench is 4 mounting points which seem to match the 4 from the front like it has been said, I haven't taken it out and looked to see if I have any sign of the midle 4 points the front needs but it sounds like it may need drilled.

I don't need the seats to have power, and I don't use the little cargo deal as its always got car seats in it.

Any experience would be appreciated, thanks.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:25 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you should just put your front seat back there and tell all of us if it works.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:09 PM
3cv
Senior User

Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy
I think you should just put your front seat back there and tell all of us if it works.
That sounds like work, no matter how sensible.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That would be awesome except my seats are folded up about as much as them dodge boys flip up their mirrors.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 3cv
That sounds like work, no matter how sensible.
I don't know... It's one thing to be "told" something will work versus "knowing" something will work.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:33 AM
3cv
Senior User

Which is why this forum is full of people saying "just try to change your ball joints, or change plugs, or rebuild hubs, or fix exhaust manifold studs before you ask if anyone else has experience doing it".

I'm a big fan of learning by doing, but gutting my cab with 4 kids climbing through it just to see if it works, with the best case being it does and I have to then take it all out and put it back the way it was, seemed like something I may ask if someone else had tried first.

A "yeah I've done it" or "no that doesn't work" is worth a lot when deciding to invest precious time in essentially exploratory surgery. All I've been able to find it "it should work" which isn't the same.

I can't believe I'm the only one who has wanted headrests in the back seat bad enough to consider this. Someone somewhere has to have broken this trail for better or worse.

My bad.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:38 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
taking the seats out takes less than an hour. Including time to put them back. I say just try it, however I had all my seats out the other day, and if memory serves me right, the back seat brackets are different than the front. First, there are only 2 per side, where as the front seats have 4 per seat, making a total of 12. If you have a front bench it might work.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:31 PM
3cv
Senior User

Originally Posted by TreySpooner65
taking the seats out takes less than an hour. Including time to put them back. I say just try it, however I had all my seats out the other day, and if memory serves me right, the back seat brackets are different than the front. First, there are only 2 per side, where as the front seats have 4 per seat, making a total of 12. If you have a front bench it might work.
I want to say I've seen a thread with a pic of fronts in the back, and there was talk of the center mounts being there but not drilled out. I can't find that for the life of me now. But it may have been an excursion, or even a suburban... I have read so many build threads on so many forums its all a blur.

I'll put it on my list and see what I can figure out, and yes I'll report back. I spent my fathers day "me time" doing plugs/boots, and need to deal with exhaust manifold studs, this should be easier to get motivated to do as it shouldn't involve any real drama just time.

Thanks everyone.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:32 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Gotta love the exhaust studs on the V10..

Old 07-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What I know is the crew cabs came with rear captain chairs. The covers are inter changeable. So the seats should be. I would search the parts books and see if the brackets for the seats are the same part #. If so your good. The front split bench and captains chairs are interchangeable so if one will work in the rear either style should work in the rear. You will have lessleg room though.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:55 AM
happyhunting
New User
Did anyone ever figure out it the front works in the back? I also have the same issue. I want head rests for the kids and there are none in the truck I have. Was even wondering if there is some kind of attachment that could be put on the seats for head rests, etc.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:33 AM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The rear in the CC are same as a standard cab seat front, mounting size, position ect... So if you find one to put in it will fit! That's how they get buckets in the KingRanch!
Jim...& fat Monty

Old 08-06-2011, 09:39 AM
3cv
Senior User

I haven't found any to buy, and I haven't taken the time to take my fronts and test them in the back. hotroddsl adds one more "it will work" to the pile, haven't got any "it won't work" but neither do I have any "it works, here are my pics". So I'm still optimistic.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:51 AM
jim6liter
More Turbo
my 04 has headrests in the rear. Maybe you can install a rear bench from 04.Mine has 3 mounting brackets, 2 on driver side and 1 on the passenger side. 6 bolts total.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:01 AM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try a google search of " new take off" they sell all sorts of OEM seats pulled out by dealers, and those cab floors are the same I put a power 40/20/40 lariat split setup identical to the front in the rear of my '07 I bought it from that place new take off they used to be a sponsor years ago! I paid $600 for the seats and bought a new front harness from ford and wired it in to my own breakers, I had to drill out the holes for the center mounts as they were not punched bosses were there just no holes! Sorry no pics maybe I'll get some shot this weekend, but it was a no sweat install, and my kids being all older and monsterously large love the comfort of adjustable seats, the only draw back is not having the fold forward to access the jack easily, I have to ronn the seat forward and than lift the seat back to kind of access it!
Jim...& fat Monty

Quick Reply: Front 40/20/40 in crew cab rear?