Views: 17036
Size:  62.1 KB

Name:  0611011432a-1.jpg
Views: 16579
Size:  67.1 KB

Name:  0605011742a.jpg
Views: 19037
Size:  77.7 KB

many more photos to be uploaded. i am not an expert but i made lots of observations and took many pictures along the way

Old 06-29-2011, 08:12 PM
fordbroncodave
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 06-29-2011, 08:18 PM
fordbroncodave
Senior User
Old 07-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 379 Likes on 285 Posts
Awesome swap man! I wish I had a 4wd manual laying around. i'd love to have a stick shift in my Bronco.

So You swapped the transmission, the cross-member with mount and the starter? What else was required?

Old 07-03-2011, 01:54 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I do. I'm halfway across the country but I've got two M5's sitting here. Both are 4WD. One needs shift fork assembly. I'm running a ZF and have no use for them.

Nice pictorial there, Dave. Anyone wanting to do a ZF S5-42 swap... have a look at this as well because physically, the ZF and M5 are identical for mountings and hardware.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:14 PM
fordbroncodave
Senior User
a list of the required pieces when switching from AOD to 5 speed mazda or ZF equivalent:

transmission (obviously)
cross member
cross member gussets or upper rail supports
starter
link bar for manual shift T case to transmission shift mechanism
pedal assembly
master cylinder
slave cylinder
hydraulic line
transmission mount (i am willing to bet they both fit and bolt the same. very minor differences light height)
and most importantly the driveshafts.

the driveshafts are the most important part and i overlooked them. i thought i would be able to use the ones from the AOD for the 5 speed but i was SOL and there was little i could do about it. front shaft from an f150 was perfect but the rear shaft needed a good 2 inches removed from the AOD shaft so i bartered and got mine resized.

as for wiring, snip 2 wires out of the 5 pin plug for the back up lights, and 2 for neutral safety. i chose not to have back up lights so for the other 2 wires just bring them through the firewall directly off the plug on the fender and connect them to the switch on the pedal. it is a "push to be able to start" setup now that easily.

any more info, i have it.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:40 PM
broncobogger
New User
1988 bronco

Hey i have a 1988 ford bronco sitting in my garage i just got my liscense and im wanting to put a 5 speed manual transmission in it rather than the stock AOD i pulled my motor and tranny sold my AOD and took my motor down the the block and im rebuilding it at the moment but was wondering what transmission i need that would be easiest to install to my t case and what other parts i would need to swap it properly

Old 08-16-2014, 06:44 PM
broncobogger
New User
would this tranny work

Would this transmission work its a m5r2 but its a 1990 SC and it came out of a thunderbird

Old 04-05-2017, 07:02 PM
Chance Clarke
New User
Difference

Originally Posted by fordbroncodave
a list of the required pieces when switching from AOD to 5 speed mazda or ZF equivalent:

transmission (obviously)
cross member
starter
pedal assembly
master cylinder
slave cylinder
hydraulic line
transmission mount (i am willing to bet they both fit and bolt the same. very minor differences light height)

the driveshafts are the most important part and i overlooked them. i thought i would be able to use the ones from the AOD for the 5 speed but i was SOL and there was little i could do about it. front shaft from an f150 was perfect but the rear shaft needed a good 2 inches removed from the AOD shaft so i bartered and got mine resized.

as for wiring, snip 2 wires out of the 5 pin plug for the back up lights, and 2 for neutral safety. i chose not to have back up lights so for the other 2 wires just bring them through the firewall directly off the plug on the fender and connect them to the switch on the pedal. it is a "push to be able to start" setup now that easily.

Driving the truck now with the 5 speed is it better than the aod ?

Old 10-06-2018, 03:26 PM
Jaycesummers
New User

transmission (obviously)
cross member
starter
pedal assembly
master cylinder
slave cylinder
hydraulic line

what color are those wires ? I've got it all swapped can't get it to start because I've got two neutral safety switches going on and I dont know what to do about my old auto 5 prong plug.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:13 AM
AbandonedBronco
Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts
I just swapped from an AOD to a ZF5 as well.

This isn't the best picture, but if you go to the zoomed in view, you can see the wiring colors.

You'll need a plug for a manual transmission. Just connect the reverse light wires to the plug (their order doesn't really matter), and then connect the park/neutral safety switch wires to each other to bypass them.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:46 PM
Jaycesummers
New User
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco
I just swapped from an AOD to a ZF5 as well.

This isn't the best picture, but if you go to the zoomed in view, you can see the wiring colors.

You'll need a plug for a manual transmission. Just connect the reverse light wires to the plug (their order doesn't really matter), and then connect the park/neutral safety switch wires to each other to bypass them.

**** fired right up! Now just gotta work on getting clutch to fully engage, I know i got it bleed all the way maybe napa just got me the wrong slave, I used my old fitting off my master that goes into the slave because I couldn't find the male connection for the one new slave anywhere. Maybe I have to adjust my clutch pedal alighnment I dunno.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:08 PM
Haughb55
New User

transmission (obviously)
cross member
starter
pedal assembly
master cylinder
slave cylinder
hydraulic line

So .. I'm doing this exact swap and I'm trying to get everything ready to do it in July. I know this thread is old, but do you know how long the rear shaft has to be.. Also any pointers on anything you didn't think about after the fact besides the drive shafts? I got a full 1990 f250 donor so u have the linkage, master, slave, tranny , mounts, cross member, ECT.. Only thing I've been recently told is that the pedal assy from a 90 won't bolt up to a bull nose.. That I'll need a set from a bull nose f150 or f250.

Just trying to dot all my eyes..

Thinking I'm gonna replace all the regular stuff (flywheel, clutch, throw away bearing, pressure plate)

Any info or suggestions anyone has is well welcomed

Old 05-07-2019, 09:21 AM
AbandonedBronco
Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts
One of the best resources I found for proper driveshaft length was BroncoGraveyard.com
Unfortunately, all of their driveshafts are titled differently, so they can be a little cumbersome to sift through (some have the length in the title, some don't, etc).
But, they list the exact length of every drive shaft, for every year, and every combination that came from the factory.
Search for "Rear Driveshaft" and it should pull them all up.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:27 PM
Haughb55
New User
So I got everything in, haven't fired it up yet cause I'm a puss puss, but my t case linkage isn't working properly, when I have it all the way forward (ie 2wd), it's in 4 high. Did you have an issue with yours?

Quick Reply: AOD to 5 speed manual transmission conversion PICS