Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Junior User
Garage is empty, add now

HowarD1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2004 6.0D Throttle position sensor

Recently on two occasions I pressed the accelerator clear to the floor with no response. After shifting into Park then back into Drive it drove normally for about a week. Now it has stalled out and was very stubborn to restart. Once running, the accelerator will sluggishly rev the engine while in Park, but in Drive, will not respond. TPS sensor or something else?

2004 6.0 Diesel, 75K miles, no mods, well maintained.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Senior User
2000 Ford F-250

raidscsi is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 6.8L V10, I replaced the TPS, <$25 at AutoZone, two small bolts, <10 minutes.

It's worth replacing just as a diagnostic method.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Junior User
Garage is empty, add now

HowarD1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have made inquiries at a local diesel repair shop and was quoted a price of >$700 for parts plus labor. They told me that since I have the adjustable pedal, that I have to replace the entire pedal assembly??? I found the sensor itself online for <$50. It looks to be the replacement for the part located on top of the engine. I have read about testing the voltage. I assume that means testing the voltage of the sending unit at the pedal to eliminate that from the potential problems. Will try that and post results.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Post Fiend
Garage is empty, add now

dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
Diesel engines do not have a Throttle Position Sensor on top of the engine, because they don't have a throttle.

They have an Accelerator Pedal Position sensor that is part of the accelerator pedal assembly.

You will get a better response if you post down in the 6.0L Diesel section.

Oregon Chapter Member:
To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 06-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Postmaster
2000 Ford F-250
My Garage

Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchamberlain View Post
Diesel engines do not have a Throttle Position Sensor on top of the engine, because they don't have a throttle..
Ditto on that.
The PEDAL POSITION SENSOR is pretty tricky on Ford. My is having glitches for over a year and I already bought 2 after-market PPS that didn't work. The only option is a dealer and since my PPS comes with bracket assembly the price was $170.
Bottom line, beware of after-market stuff. Even from recommended forum sponsors.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:48 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
2004, 2006, 60, accelerator, caused, diesel, f250, f350, ford, pedal, position, positioning, respond, sensor, symptoms, throttle