1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

51 Front suspension question from Newbee

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
51 Front suspension question from Newbee

I want to put a Mustang front suspension on my 51 F-1. I have a few question and Hope you guys will help a newbee. Is it hard to do with a kit say from F-100 central? Hey have a kit for just under 2k. Anyubody do it to their F-1? Do you like it? Worth the money? Are old parts worth anything? I have a right rear fender,gauges, switches and a few other things. My truck is completely stock and I want to make it more driveable. Any insite you guys can give would be great and I hope to make many friends here just as when I joined HD forums when I got my HD.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:04 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have the money the MII kits are probably the best IFS you can put under your truck but you may find other changes necessary with the MII like a newer brake master cylinder, disc brakes, and probably a steering column change. It won't be a stocker anymore!

Welcome to FTE!

Old 06-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey welcome to FTE,

I am from Pekin,IL what part of IL are you from?

Old 06-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
Hey welcome to FTE,

I am from Pekin,IL what part of IL are you from?
I'm in coal city about 20 miles south west of joliet. Thanks for the welcome I'm happy to be here.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:50 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Hey cool! not too far away then.
Hang tight on the mustang II questions, there is a ton of great people on here and they are always willing to help out! I in the process of building my '49
I have installed a JAG IFS, but not even close to driving it yet.
Lots of guys here have used the aftermarket MII suspension. I very seldom see complains about them. but let them guide you the right direction.
Have a great weekend!

Old 06-25-2011, 10:12 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WELCOME ABOARD

I have a M11 in my truck and it drives great. If you use this and a sbf you will need a rearsump oilpan for sure. Plus like they already told you steering coulmn with 2 or 3 adaptors to hook it up. I have 3 and they ain't cheap. Get a classic haulers parts book and it will tell you what you will need to go from like a flamingriver coulmn to a ifs setup. Then the M11 will drop the front 4 inchs so you will need to drop the back also. IFS will cost more for a truck lug pattern or you can go with the car pattern but then you will need to redrill the rear axles. Thats what i did. So in short YOU ARE GOING TO THE DARK SIDE but you came to the right place . GOOD LUCK AND TAKE PICS. Thats the rules!!!!!! LOL

Old 06-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Hey Fred, where did you get your hubs redrilled? i tried to find anyone in IL and nobody would touch it due to liability...

Old 06-25-2011, 11:05 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hubs

Hey Fred, where did you get your hubs redrilled? i tried to find anyone in IL and nobody would touch it due to liability...
we did it at my cuz's shop were i redone my truck. its easy jeff. We took the disk rotor and centered it then drill the first hole then put a bolt in then drilled another put a bolt in then so on and so on. You can weld the old holes up but no need. There is plenty of metal between them. But if you going to race or do alot of brunouts then weld them. Easyer to do with the axle out and in a vise.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:43 AM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Originally Posted by arrowheadfred
I have a M11 in my truck and it drives great. If you use this and a sbf you will need a rearsump oilpan for sure. Plus like they already told you steering coulmn with 2 or 3 adaptors to hook it up. I have 3 and they ain't cheap. Get a classic haulers parts book and it will tell you what you will need to go from like a flamingriver coulmn to a ifs setup. Then the M11 will drop the front 4 inchs so you will need to drop the back also. IFS will cost more for a truck lug pattern or you can go with the car pattern but then you will need to redrill the rear axles. Thats what i did. So in short YOU ARE GOING TO THE DARK SIDE but you came to the right place . GOOD LUCK AND TAKE PICS. Thats the rules!!!!!! LOL
What kinda money do you have in parts? Speedway has suspension kit with brakes for $1000. Crossmember for $300. Isaw brake booster for another $300. How much more shoud I plan on spending? Whats the con for only doing a power disc kit and not the MII?

Old 06-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Hey another thought is using a Toyota power steering unit. Others here can explain, but when you say "more drivable" what are you looking for?

If you are wanting to lower it, there are cheaper and easier ways to do that but as GreatNorthwoods mentioned, you are gonna open a big can of worms if ya do that MII . I am not trying to discourage you at all but just trying to help inform you a bit.
You can buy a replacement axle like the original, with the spindles dropped, but you also have to have different tie rods or something to that effect.
I am putting a JAG IFS in my front end and I have been working on that, other suspension changes, and frame work for over a year now. I didn't really think it would take me that long but...it is...you end up jumping one hurdle after another...I am sure it will be nice in the end but how much difference it makes is yet to be known. I would have done things different knowing then what I know now. But once you start cutting you are dedicated to going forward. Anyway there's my couple of cents! Good luck!

Old 06-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Damifiknow
Whats the con for only doing a power disc kit and not the MII?
Hi, for whatever its worth, this is a pic of my MII install.

The info that you are looking for is on this site but unfortunately you have to hope the right person comes along ...........or search (not easy) for the info, and for some ridiculous reason, you can’t use the search until you have 25 posts. But there is a work around if you use Google with this forum as the location to search .......and I’m sure you have read the “ Read First: 48/60 Forum Tips, Tricks, How To's!” @
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...s-how-tos.html

Especially this thread half way down post # 12 about the 12 different front ifs options;
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...-articles.html

Sometimes you will get better answers if you start a new thread for each specific question rather then an overall general request.

Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2011, 04:07 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts

If you are wanting to lower it, there are cheaper and easier ways to do that
Just to be clear, if one is going to make major suspension modifications to their truck, they're going to spend some money. To lower it to the extent as an IFS setup would with a straight axle, you're talking about buying a dropped axle and/or lowering springs. With king pins and tie rod drops, you're looking at about a grand. Adding Toyota P/S and a new steering column, approx $750. Power disc brakes, $650+ plumbing. All that is real close to a good MII kit. The beauty of going with the kit is all of the pieces come together, and it takes the guess work out of the project. It really depends on what you want, more than how much you have to spend. None of this stuff is cheap.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Just to be clear, if one is going to make major suspension modifications to their truck, they're going to spend some money. To lower it to the extent as an IFS setup would with a straight axle, you're talking about buying a dropped axle and/or lowering springs. With king pins and tie rod drops, you're looking at about a grand. Adding Toyota P/S and a new steering column, approx $750. Power disc brakes, $650+ plumbing. All that is real close to a good MII kit. The beauty of going with the kit is all of the pieces come together, and it takes the guess work out of the project. It really depends on what you want, more than how much you have to spend. None of this stuff is cheap.
YeOuch! i guess im glad to have went the JAG IFS route! Thats expensive!
Yeah i only know little about buying the aftermarket stuff! Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have money to buy stuff like that. I mean i have always had to come up with the cheapest way to do stuff. Which in turn, takes forever to complete tasks. Oh well, I do learn alot...

Old 06-26-2011, 06:51 PM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Its all alot to think about. I want it to function like a new car or truck but look old. I think the MII is prolly the way to go for what I want. Thanks for all your input.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:09 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
I wanted to go the MII route in the beginning, so if ya got the money to slap down then based on what I have read on here in the last year, it sure sounds like the way to go. As someone said earlier, it would be nice taking the guesswork out of the equation.

Quick Reply: 51 Front suspension question from Newbee