Sponsored by:

Running rough after new spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:53 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
My guess is that one of the plugs ceramic insulators was cracked during installation.

take it back to the place that installed them and have the correct the issue.
+1 on that.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:09 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 6686L
WHY REPLACE SPARK PLUGS IN A MODERN VEHICLE ?

Somebody help me out here . Of course in the old days we who hated walking, did preventitive maintainence...points, condensor, dist. caps, plugs, etc, at regular intervals.

But this is not the old days - and last I heard, my local auto parts dealer was fresh out of points, condensor, rotor, and dist. cap for my 2005 V-10......!

I have 140,000 mi. on the "fine wire" plugs - and no sign of a mis-fire. Anyone remember the expression that is NOW very valid " IF IT AINT BROKE, DONT SCREW WITH IT"...

So, someone explain to me why we should EVER screw with a MODERN vehicle's spark-plugs, until and less they start mis-firing ?
It is broke! With a history like that you will greatly benefit from new plugs and boots. I didn't need this scenario to confirm what I already know but I was filling up at a distant city for a couple years and when I got home my gauge would always be between full and 3/4 but after changing plugs AND BOOTS it barely came off the full mark the next time, not to mention a more powerful sound and noticably more power and no it didn't miss a bit before. It is kind of like old stale gas, it looks fine and will run an engine but it is basically shot , like your plugs and boots! They will fire the cylinders enough to not cause a miss but they just aren't doing a good job of it. (Not complete and efficient combustion). The new engines will allow plugs to last longer but like everything else; they wear out. (don't skimp on the boots either!)

Old 07-12-2011, 09:52 AM
1973Ford2004
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check the O2 sensors with live feed if you can on your code reader. I just changed my plugs & new boots, gap is 1.32mm-1.42mm, my old plugs were averaging gap of 1.65mm 115,000 miles. replaced 3 O2 sensors and it purrs like it was new.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:45 PM
6686L
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by EXv10
. . . . your ( o ld ) plugs and boots! They will fire the cylinders enough to not cause a miss but they just aren't doing a good job of it. (Not complete and efficient combustion). The new engines will allow plugs to last longer but like everything else; they wear out. (don't skimp on the boots either!)
= = = = = =

nope - internal combustion engines dont work that way. The spark either "lights off" the fuel mixture or it dosnt.

Of course plugs erode eventually, and the heat of the engine eventually destroys the insulating capability of the boots. But there is no 'half way' on this. Given the extremely high voltage of modern ignition, they will throw spark across even really bad plugs. That's the beauty of modern "fine wire" spark plugs - they can go a LONG time and get REALLY bad before they fail to "light off" a mixture.

As many have noted in this and other "threads", the extremely powerful ignition systems of modern cars DO most certainly require better insulation in the form of both wiring and boots. So I do agree this is a job better not done "half-way" - do it all or leave it alone. "if it aint broke dont fix it" ! If your motor is running smoothly, leave the plugs and boots alone.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:00 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 950 Likes on 687 Posts
Plug after 60K.

Think of it this way. You free up a weekend morning, no kids, no wife, just you and the V10 hangin' out sipping a brew, listening to oldies (70's, 80's, 90's, NPR, Rush, whatever; it's all good). Ease off those Cops and boots, shoot a little compressed air to clear the debris, use pop's old hand tools (he'd be smilin' at you gettin another use out of 'em -he got'em from his pop too) to loosen and check out those well worn plugs. Smile and sip, hmm amber ale today. If ya like what you see, put those new plugs away and slide them antiquated fireplugs and stiff boots back on and move to the next. Anti sieze or not, up to you in between tunes, oh I love that guitar riff. Ya get to stretch the back and arms on #4 and 5, but they too come out and get inspected and replaced... or not...

Point is, you enjoy the time with your EX- Zen style.

Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2011, 08:16 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Some ice-cold Newcastle brown ale...hmmm.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:57 PM
charger7022
Junior User
wow ill never work on my truck in the same way ever again !

Old 07-13-2011, 12:01 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
= = = = = =

nope - internal combustion engines dont work that way. The spark either "lights off" the fuel mixture or it dosnt.

Of course plugs erode eventually, and the heat of the engine eventually destroys the insulating capability of the boots. But there is no 'half way' on this. Given the extremely high voltage of modern ignition, they will throw spark across even really bad plugs. That's the beauty of modern "fine wire" spark plugs - they can go a LONG time and get REALLY bad before they fail to "light off" a mixture.

As many have noted in this and other "threads", the extremely powerful ignition systems of modern cars DO most certainly require better insulation in the form of both wiring and boots. So I do agree this is a job better not done "half-way" - do it all or leave it alone. "if it aint broke dont fix it" ! If your motor is running smoothly, leave the plugs and boots alone.
Wrong! If that were the case the modern day dragsters would still be running the old Corvette dual piont ignition systems with a hot coil and why do engines start getting more power and increased gas mileage after new plugs are installed. The plugs will ignite it but not well enough. It's kind of like trying to light a campfire on a rainy with a match as opposed to using a torch. Someone will chime in to prove you are wrong. I used to think to same thing and it sounded reasonable at the time also.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:00 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
= = = = = =

I guess all that power and added gas mileage was just my imagination. Leaving your plugs in until it misses is a very bad idea.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:36 PM
tkoehler24
New User
Great response...I have the same problem with my 5.4l '06 F150. did not change the COP's....for $60, your right, start there. Thanx again.....