1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

T170 FTS OD tranny - major problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 04:28 PM
DHCowdude
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T170 FTS OD tranny - major problems?

Yo!
This is the aluminum cased top-shift 4-speed OD manual (door code B) and is from an '84 F150 with the venerable 300.
Needs a shifter handle - or some welding work (they got antsy pulling the cab off for the guys mud truck) but the price is right. It's the code RTS trans, and comes with a spare flywheel, newer 10" clutch plate and all the related bits/pieces as well as a driveshaft with newer Uj's. Problem will be - that raised plate for the shifter hole in the floor isn't included - and how hard would it be to simply "massage" the cab floor to make it fit without that piece? Has anyone else done this before? I have the Ford 3-speed with a crappy floor shift in now (hole in wrong place) & am feeling it'd be a worthy acquisition if it won't have my truck laid up for too long.. (or me laid up, as all work is done on my back in the driveway..)

Old 06-17-2011, 05:32 PM
AstroFab
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not familiar with transmission tunnel differences in these trucks, but I assume you mean you need a taller tunnel to clear the new transmission? Does your original tunnel bolt in? If so, why not go get the right one from a junkyard and swap it? If it doesn't bolt in, you could easily cut that section out of a truck with the taller one and weld it into your truck. Or you could bend up some sheetmetal with 2 bends in it at about 45-degrees, shape the sides to fit the angle of the tunnel, then weld it in place.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The bolt-in tunnel can be adapted to fit the standard floor. The outline is already there, but since the taller tunnel was only needed for certain transmissions, it was only cut out on the cabs that were gonna get those transmissions. The outline should be stamped into the floor, and have 2 sets of lines. The inner set is the cut line, and the outer set is where the tunnel insert mates the floor.
All that said, I have no idea if the 4OD needs the taller tunnel, or if it was just used to make it easier to access the trans to bellhousing, and bellhousing to engine bolts.
If it's needed, it could be sourced from a junkyard. It would also solve the "hole in the wrong spot" issue.....

The trans isn't the most durable, but will hold up fine to "normal" driving. Abusing it, will result in it abusing your wallet in return. Treating it right usually results in the wallet getting treated much better, as the MPG can be considerably higher. The trans is at least as durable as the current 3 speed stick.
Just make sure it appears to be in good shape before going thru the trouble of swapping it in.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:03 PM
DHCowdude
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danged junkyards around here are mashing about everything that's over 6-7 years old for scrap - th' buggars..
The guy with the donor truck is using the cab over an automatic - but he doesn't wanna part with the tunnel piece. I'm considering just using a hydraulic jack to "massage" the floor and fine-tuning with a sledge from beneath. (**** carpeting hides many evils, if it needs be) Not looking forward to it, of course.. That and the cut-off shifter lever I'll have to fab somehow (there's about 8" of it left) And my floor was likely smooth, no extra pieces. It was a 3-on-the-tree originally. Wish it still was.. the shifter **** is literally ON the seat in 1st n' 3rd..

Anything special I ought to look for inside besides shredded metal and worn-edged gears? Lengths ought to be the same y'thinks? Trans mounts and crossmembers?