Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-19-2014, 07:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

About to pull the trigger on Spray-on bed liner. Should I do it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 04:36 PM
bladez51
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question About to pull the trigger on Spray-on bed liner. Should I do it?

I drove out today to visit some friends at their shop. The Bullet Liner people have a shop next door. They were very slow and the guy who works there said to check with the manager and see if he'd give me a good deal.
Anyway, I asked the man and he said he'd do it spraying everywhere the plastic liner is on now (it looks like crap even though it's practically unused). I've read about these spray-on liners versus the drop-in liners like I have and people are divided about which is better. It seems that the spray-on might be better, but I read where people say it peels off and looks horrible, etc.
I can get it done tomorrow morning for $400. What do you think?

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-07-2011, 05:02 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
OH GOD YES!! Pull that trigger!

You can go back and fourth all you want but if they do a good job preping the surface and use a decent product it shouldn't peel. My Boss has Line-X and a co-worker has a Rhino Liner. They both love the liner to death! 2 of the trucks you see below have/had plastic liners in them. THEY ARE JUNK! water gets underneath, they fade, if they get hot they start to warp. Plus if they slide back and fourth even a little, the entire bed bottom will have all the paint missing in spots and even start to rust if it's been on long enough. The spray on liners are awesome! they resist denting and don't scratch, not to mention you can run it over the top edges of the bed and put a camper top on and not worry about the camper top wearing through your paint over time... I remember my dad's 93 F150 having that problem... Put a topper on it for 3 years and when we took it off it had worn into the paint leaving primer showing.

Ask if they have a guarentee! I know the guys that do Rhino and Line-x around here guarentee them not to crack, peel, or fade for the life of the truck.

If I had a nice truck instead of the sad looking lot (seen below) I'd have it undercoated with autoarmor and put a Line-X bedliner in first thing! I'm not familiar with the "Bullet Liner" brand but HELL YEAH! I'd go for it! $400 is a pretty good price. I think I had a LineX quote once that was for $300-$350 and that's if I did all the prep work. I think the big thing is actually sanding the bed down so the liner sticks to the bed. If you don't sand/scotchbrite the surface down the liner won't stick!

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-07-2011, 05:25 PM
5Rangers
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Linex and Rhino are pricey but worth every penny. When I get to working items like paint , interior and bed, I will most likely get the LineX due to the warranty.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:29 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
x2.........

Old 06-07-2011, 05:33 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i dumped my plastic in '07 when i painted mine...i LOVE the spray in it looks so much better and no more worry of bed rust!

Old 06-07-2011, 05:35 PM
bladez51
Senior User
Originally Posted by nstueve
OH GOD YES!! Pull that trigger!

You can go back and fourth all you want but if they do a good job preping the surface and use a decent product it shouldn't peel. My Boss has Line-X and a co-worker has a Rhino Liner. They both love the liner to death! 2 of the trucks you see below have/had plastic liners in them. THEY ARE JUNK! water gets underneath, they fade, if they get hot they start to warp. Plus if they slide back and fourth even a little, the entire bed bottom will have all the paint missing in spots and even start to rust if it's been on long enough. The spray on liners are awesome! they resist denting and don't scratch, not to mention you can run it over the top edges of the bed and put a camper top on and not worry about the camper top wearing through your paint over time... I remember my dad's 93 F150 having that problem... Put a topper on it for 3 years and when we took it off it had worn into the paint leaving primer showing.

Ask if they have a guarentee! I know the guys that do Rhino and Line-x around here guarentee them not to crack, peel, or fade for the life of the truck.

If I had a nice truck instead of the sad looking lot (seen below) I'd have it undercoated with autoarmor and put a Line-X bedliner in first thing! I'm not familiar with the "Bullet Liner" brand but HELL YEAH! I'd go for it! $400 is a pretty good price. I think I had a LineX quote once that was for $300-$350 and that's if I did all the prep work. I think the big thing is actually sanding the bed down so the liner sticks to the bed. If you don't sand/scotchbrite the surface down the liner won't stick!
The Bullet Liner shop appears to be a very professional outfit, fully equipped and they have been there for a while. They seem to do good work and my friends who have the shop next door speak highly of them.
They tell me that they prep the whole bed very thoroughly before the apply the liner. I'm pretty sure I'll get it done tomorrow

Old 06-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 378 Likes on 284 Posts
Def a good choice to get it sprayed on. I have had 2 trucks with Line-X and Loved the bed liner. Dragged furniture across it and still held up.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:11 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If they're going to charge you 400, I'd find the nearest Line-x shop and have them do it.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:53 PM
bladez51
Senior User
Originally Posted by zxwut?
If they're going to charge you 400, I'd find the nearest Line-x shop and have them do it.
Ok I could try to find a line-x shop, but why?

Old 06-07-2011, 11:16 PM
86F150302
Postmaster
Originally Posted by zxwut?
This^^^^ I would only pay $400 for line x.

My GFs mom has Line x in her truck and its really nice but one thing I don't like is things slide easily on it. With my Hurculiner nothing moves in the bed.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Jason Lewis
Posting Guru
Line X hands down, Rhino Sucks big time, i got Tough liner sprayed back in 06 still looks great !

Old 06-08-2011, 12:00 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
If I ever get one it will be LineX. Rhino turns gray and chaulky. I've seen Jason's Toff Liner and it does still look good.

I'm still using the rubber bed mat that is over 15 years old and it is still in good shape.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:10 AM
hntnnut
Freshman User
I herculined (less than 100 bucks) the interior of my ranger over a year ago. It's my daily driver and sees a lot of duck hunting on a very lake with very corrosive mud and water. Wash it out and it looks new and there is zero wear even where my heels rest at the peddles.

Richard

Old 06-08-2011, 12:25 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
Most trucks I see with Herculiner don't look so great after about a year or two. Most of that I think is fading from the sun.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:31 AM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bladez51
Ok I could try to find a line-x shop, but why?
Because they have an excellent warranty, customer service, and are higher quality than anything else out there.

Quick Reply: About to pull the trigger on Spray-on bed liner. Should I do it?