6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Curious regen

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 10:49 AM
KC8RXQ
5th Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Curious regen

I was running an errand in town and experienced a regen that I couldn't explain. Hopefully someone can shed some light on the subject or comment otherwise.

The truck was already up to operating temperature and the outside conditions were wet/foggy with an ambient temperature of 45 deg. F. I have a 2010 F350 SuperDuty, 6.4L (11k miles) with the Banks Six Gun tuner (Level 2) and the Banks iQ. (And yes, I did have the latest Ford PCM flash.) Pulling out of a parking lot the truck changed "sound" and the Banks iQ verified that DPF Regen was "ACTIVE". Keep in mind that my speed, at that time, was below 35 mph. After about one-half mile of stop-and-go driving I pulled onto the interstate and accelerated to around 60-65 mph. Now comes the strange part...the regen began at less than 35 MPH and only lasted a total of four (4) miles, while the previous regen was around 680-700 miles earlier. The Banks iQ and the vehicle message center confirmed the end of the regen. I don't do a great deal of city driving (20 percent city, 80 percent highway) and have not had any negative issues or problems with this truck.

The obvious question is why such a short operation of the DPF Regen, other than the equally obvious answer that that's all that was needed! I usually add 6-8 ounces of Diesel Kleen at each fill-up and as a rule allow the engine to cool down to around 290-305 degrees F before shutting down. The PCM flash was done about 1,000 miles ago with no adverse effects.

Insightful comments are always welcome. Tastefully humorous comments too!

Ed

Old 05-17-2011, 12:45 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
So...you want more regens?

You can have mine!

Truthfully who knows. I can't see that it is the new programming as that was 1K miles ago.

I would lean more to an error in the programming that started it. As it goes thru its paces and checks fore and aft of the DPF it must have reading the pressures and then of course cancelled it.

Or..maybe it was just hot enough (even though it appears otherwise) to burn it off.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:30 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 2K on the 11B23 reflash of of this week. No difference in regen behaviour that I can see. No big differences in mpgs either, aside from the fact that we're on summer fuel now and my mpgs are up a bit.

I have quite a lot of in-town driving, 60/40 city/fwy or worse, and my regens are consistently 250-300miles apart if I'm using good fuel, so, yeah, I've had my share of regens

I've gotten a few of these weird incomplete regens where I've shut down the truck about a minute or 2 after it started and only to see the next regen start a hundred or more miles later. Hey, I'm not complaining! Normally, if I shut down during a regen, the next regen starts later about 10-20miles per mile I've driven while in regen.

I'm also using DK at approximately a little less than the recommended 0.3oz/gal concentration. I'm going to increase it to about 0.4oz/gal and see what happens over the next few tanks.

Maybe you just got a plug of stuff that happened to burn off all at once!

BTW, what do you think about that 6-gun on your '10? Also, any noticeable mpg gains?

Old 05-17-2011, 02:13 PM
KC8RXQ
5th Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Curious regen

Originally Posted by aquaman
I have 2K on the 11B23 reflash of of this week. No difference in regen behaviour that I can see. No big differences in mpgs either, aside from the fact that we're on summer fuel now and my mpgs are up a bit.

I have quite a lot of in-town driving, 60/40 city/fwy or worse, and my regens are consistently 250-300miles apart if I'm using good fuel, so, yeah, I've had my share of regens

I've gotten a few of these weird incomplete regens where I've shut down the truck about a minute or 2 after it started and only to see the next regen start a hundred or more miles later. Hey, I'm not complaining! Normally, if I shut down during a regen, the next regen starts later about 10-20miles per mile I've driven while in regen.

I'm also using DK at approximately a little less than the recommended 0.3oz/gal concentration. I'm going to increase it to about 0.4oz/gal and see what happens over the next few tanks.

Maybe you just got a plug of stuff that happened to burn off all at once!

BTW, what do you think about that 6-gun on your '10? Also, any noticeable mpg gains?

Senix,
Far be it from me to deprive you of such a character-building experience as these regens. Thanks for the reply; I do appreciate the insight and the humor.

Aquaman,
I forgot to mention that the previous regen lasted for around nineteen miles. After this last regen the truck still ran normal, without so much as a burp.

Regarding the Bank Six Gun tuner, I didn't get any appreciable increase in fuel economy but I did get an improved monitoring and diagnostic tool. That was more valuable to me than the tuner. I bought the system in August 2010 and while I haven't had any problems with it, I would have rather just bought the Banks iQ. I run the tuner on Level 2 merely to get a slight increase in response from the engine.

I appreciate the replys and I'll keep running as before.

Ed

Old 05-17-2011, 02:31 PM
senix
Super Moderator
I run mine in 2 most of the time as well. I saw 18.5 Saturday...I think what you also get is increased intervals between regens. Mine average around 500 miles.

That is a bonus.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:39 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
Hi senix, just curious-- what is your typical driving pattern? Are you getting 500miles per regen around town empty with the 6-gun?

Old 05-18-2011, 12:51 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by aquaman
Hi senix, just curious-- what is your typical driving pattern? Are you getting 500miles per regen around town empty with the 6-gun?
Very little city driving, mostly country two lane roads. Most of my speeds are around 50-60 mph.

I don't use my truck to commute. I have a car...my work commute is only 3 miles.

I use the 6 gun on level two which I think is about 10% over stock. Ecomony tune.

Dont do it expecting an increase in mpgs.

does seem to refine the programming and I can get maybe a mile or so better.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:12 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
A 1mpg gain is about a 6-8% improvement! that's pretty good!

I'm burning about 1K gallons of fuel a year. At $4.60/gal here in SJ, that's potentially $250-300+ bux a year in savings