1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

In Too Deep - Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:57 AM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Too Deep - Engine Swap

Hello,<O</O
How does a non technical, non mechanical individual do this?
I recently inherited a '56 F100 Big Window. I thought it was 100% original until I found out it had a Thunderbird 390 sitting in it for more than 20 years.<O</O
Today, I have pulled the engine and the original 3 speed OD. I have cleaned (by hand) all of the surface rust on the frame and painted it using POR15. The drums, brakes and all components have been replaced. New brake lines were created and installed along with a new master brake pump. The rear end was completely removed and new races, bearings and seals were taken care of. Had the original gas tank and radiator professionally boiled and cleaned.<O</O
Now I think (hope) I am ready to install a 351w and a C4/C6 transmission. I have purchased a new crossmember for the engine and mocked it up. In doing so I was wondering if the previously drilled holes in the frame can be used to for the new crossmember. I have never done this before and have no idea what lies ahead and would hate to go thru all this and mess it all up!
Your help is greatly appreciated.<O</O
Sincerely,<O</O
Paul

Old 05-09-2011, 11:15 AM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts
You have a very cool and rare truck. I hardly EVER see Goldenglow Yellow trucks. Yours looks to be what's left of one. Of course the big window and the original OD is extremely rare and cool too.

You sir have an extremely rare truck.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:30 AM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
Originally Posted by mOROTBREATH
You have a very cool and rare truck. I hardly EVER see Goldenglow Yellow trucks. Yours looks to be what's left of one. Of course the big window and the original OD is extremely rare and cool too.

You sir have an extremely rare truck.
Thank you kindly. If I could only get this engine in...

Old 05-09-2011, 12:42 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ImSoQuazy
Hello,<o</o
How does a non technical, non mechanical individual do this?
I recently inherited a '56 F100 Big Window. I thought it was 100% original until I found out it had a Thunderbird 390 sitting in it for more than 20 years.<o</o
Today, I have pulled the engine and the original 3 speed OD. I have cleaned (by hand) all of the surface rust on the frame and painted it using POR15. The drums, brakes and all components have been replaced. New brake lines were created and installed along with a new master brake pump. The rear end was completely removed and new races, bearings and seals were taken care of. Had the original gas tank and radiator professionally boiled and cleaned.<o</o
Now I think (hope) I am ready to install a 351w and a C4/C6 transmission. I have purchased a new crossmember for the engine and mocked it up. In doing so I was wondering if the previously drilled holes in the frame can be used to for the new crossmember. I have never done this before and have no idea what lies ahead and would hate to go thru all this and mess it all up!
Your help is greatly appreciated.<o</o
Sincerely,<o</o
Paul

there are no standard holes for these swaps.. these new fangled engines didn't exist at the time the trucks were designed or built..

but.. you 'should' want to get the engine fan centered in the radiator, if possible. so, in the pic above, the engine should come up. if you had the radiator shroud, you should use it as an alignment tool.

this part is the 'creative' part of these mods..

edit:

and you NEED to have the tranny attached during this positioning.. later will be too late..
Sam

Old 05-09-2011, 12:54 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like it can come up about 2 inches. Where is the cross member landing at on the frame? Inside,top or where ? I like to keep the top of the intake level ,front to rear and side to side. That part looks about right from the side view the best i can tell. How are the clearances under the floor pan ?__

Old 05-09-2011, 02:14 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Is your cab bolted in place? Maybe it's just the photo angle....
I would remove the fan spacer.....looks like the motor needs to go forward and up a little.
Post more pics of different angles if you can. We are here to help!

Old 05-09-2011, 03:30 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by tinman52
Is your cab bolted in place? Maybe it's just the photo angle....
I would remove the fan spacer.....looks like the motor needs to go forward and up a little.
Post more pics of different angles if you can. We are here to help!
I agree.

and if you are going to use the stock fan, and shroud.. the fan blades should be IN the shroud some, but NO MORE than half way. (so they can actually kick the air out)

Sam

Old 05-09-2011, 04:21 PM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
Sam,
There isn’t a radiator shroud. The shroud is something I should obtain afterwards (if needed) correct?
Also, pulled engine back out, got the grade 8 engine mount bolts and the tranny is back on.
Jim,
The cross member WAS landing on the inside lip of the frame. Now, that I have re-checked and re-measured I plan on “centering” it in the inside of the frame.
Also Jim, the floor pan has been removed – though it appears it will go back in without any glitches…
Scott,
The carb WAS bolted in place – has been removed since then. Also, fan spacer is removed.
Gentlemen, I have ruined just about everything I touch with my greasy hands (so much for being a neat freak) I will postt new pictures once I have accomplished something.
Kindly,
Paul

Old 05-09-2011, 05:50 PM
sparky
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Or another option....... the 351W in my 53 sits quite low, although it may not be as low as the one in the picture..... but..... I did not install the mechanical fan..... instead I used a fan/shroud assembly from a 91 3.8L Taurus..bolted diectly to the rad.....rad is from a 66 Mustang and the shroud fits like it belongs there.... it is a very nice/high flow electric unit.... looks very nice, IMHO, and cools like a sumbitch on the low setting.... haven't even hooked up the high setting yet.... as usual I know I should update my gallery with the mods I have done the past several years..... but I never think to get a camera... too busy buying parts

Old 05-09-2011, 07:37 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
non mechanical???hell your doing great!!!!great start,,your nearly halfway ...why not find a overdrive trans if your in this deep??,,,just a thought..

Old 05-09-2011, 07:42 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by sparky
Or another option....... the 351W in my 53 sits quite low, although it may not be as low as the one in the picture..... but..... I did not install the mechanical fan..... instead I used a fan/shroud assembly from a 91 3.8L Taurus..bolted diectly to the rad.....rad is from a 66 Mustang and the shroud fits like it belongs there.... it is a very nice/high flow electric unit.... looks very nice, IMHO, and cools like a sumbitch on the low setting.... haven't even hooked up the high setting yet.... as usual I know I should update my gallery with the mods I have done the past several years..... but I never think to get a camera... too busy buying parts
Yes, those fans are amazing.. Make sure to check your alternator! They suck power like mad!! 30amps on low!

And with the electric fan you don't have the fan alignment issues at all. Lots more freedom for creativity.

Sam

Old 05-09-2011, 07:47 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by ImSoQuazy
Gentlemen, I have ruined just about everything I touch with my greasy hands (so much for being a neat freak) I will postt new pictures once I have accomplished something.
Kindly,
Paul
buy a box of rubber gloves! The nitrile ones work for me, the latex ones are too slippery. My most frequent harbor freight purchase.

Sam