Georgia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: ChiefM SPONSORED BY:

1976 F100 Resto build

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Pop's76
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reason i asked was the engine didn't have a carb when i got it and a factory replacement was $495. I opted to buy a new Holley for $285 instead but i had to install a spacer and my throttle linkage was still binding against the EGR plate. If i remove the EGR and plate the linkage clears with just the spacer. The spacer also covers the hole in the intake that went to the EGR.
I have heard so many say the engime will not run correctly without the EGR and asked you all's opinions. The only thing I worry about is if the gasses exiting the hole for the EGR might burn through the spacer

Old 06-03-2012, 03:45 PM
82f100460
Posting Guru
Mine runs fine without it. It shouldn't burn through the spacer. I'm sure it's probably made of aluminum right? Aftermarket, and some factory, intakes are made of aluminum and are fine.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Pop's76
Senior User
Originally Posted by 82f100460
Mine runs fine without it. It shouldn't burn through the spacer. I'm sure it's probably made of aluminum right? Aftermarket, and some factory, intakes are made of aluminum and are fine.
Yes sir, it is aluminum. I would like to thank you for the help and insight so far. The engine seems to run correctly without it but i wanted expert advice before i proceeded ro run the engine ans possibly damage it.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Pop's76
Senior User
Hello Everyone. I apologize for the lack of updates and posts but I haven't had the time due to the usual summer rush. I had today off so I decided to experiment with paint colors on the truck and this is what I tried.

I did at one point have the colors reversed with the white on top and black on the bottom. The black is primer and will be replaced by either a semigloss black or a gloss black.

After the quick spray, I rolled the truck back in the barn and snapped this quick photo. Give me your honest opinions on the paint colors and whether it looks good or not. I honestly think it doesn't look that bad but what do I know lol.

Thanks

Old 08-06-2012, 03:09 AM
460 FORD MAN
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking good! I think it would be better with semi gloss or gloss black like you said.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:21 AM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Looks great

Old 03-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Pop's76
Senior User
Hello everyone. I apologize for such a long period without any updates but the last 6 months have been hell. Dad became ill in late September and kept going downhill the month of October. He actually spent the whole month of November except for Thanksgiving week hospitalized as well as most of December. He began to improve but it was very short lived. On January 11th, he had a minor stroke in his sleep. He tried to get out of bed the next morning and due to unknown reduced use of his right side he stumbled and hit his head on a dresser. We called an ambulance and he was transported to the ER. The doctors at the hospital monitored him and were surprised because he began to regain all movement on his right side but wanted to keep him overnight formonitoring and a few more tests.

We returned to see him the next morning and were shocked by the state he was in. When we left the night before he was coherent. He could carry on a conversation and function as he normally had but upon our return to see him he was in a vegetative state. The doctors told us a blood clot had gone to the capillaries in his brain and caused them to explode and that there was nothing anyone can do. The doctors were not.sure if the clot is what caused the intial stroke of if it was caused by the head trauma he received getting out of bed the morning before. Pops passed away on January 13 and since then I have been busy helping Mom with all the paperwork and other things but I will, so help me God, return to finishing this truck in his memory once spring weather is hear to stay.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:31 AM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of your loss, I lost my father in law almost 2 years ago and I am still not fully over it. He was my best friend and a father to me. Having joined the military not long after high school I did not have family around for almost 20 years. I thank god everyday for the 9 years we had together after I married his daughter. I helped mama send off the certificate and the letter saying he had no assests to everyone that he had bills too and get the will stuff straight. We still get a piece of mail every now and then in the box.

Like you I have his truck and have plans to get it back to the way it should be. I promised him before he became sick I was going to fix up that truck for him. I have to finish some repairs to my motorhome first then it is full bore on the truck.

The country song" If heaven wasn't so far away" still makes me choke up. I took him on his last ride in that truck, he showed me the secret fishing hole and when we got back to house he told me to keep the keys it was mine. I have probibly owned 30 different vehicles but I will always own this one.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:24 AM
Pop's76
Senior User
Originally Posted by ChiefM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss, I lost my father in law almost 2 years ago and I am still not fully over it. He was my best friend and a father to me. Having joined the military not long after high school I did not have family around for almost 20 years. I thank god everyday for the 9 years we had together after I married his daughter. I helped mama send off the certificate and the letter saying he had no assests to everyone that he had bills too and get the will stuff straight. We still get a piece of mail every now and then in the box.

Like you I have his truck and have plans to get it back to the way it should be. I promised him before he became sick I was going to fix up that truck for him. I have to finish some repairs to my motorhome first then it is full bore on the truck.

The country song" If heaven wasn't so far away" still makes me choke up. I took him on his last ride in that truck, he showed me the secret fishing hole and when we got back to house he told me to keep the keys it was mine. I have probibly owned 30 different vehicles but I will always own this one.
Thanks Chief. I am sorry to hear about you loss.
Originally I was just going to do a "budget" rebuild just so I could hurry up and get him behind the wheel of it again. I guess now that I have nothing pressing I will go all out.

"If heaven weren't so far away" and Lee Brice's song " I drive your truck" both get to me.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:00 AM
Pop's76
Senior User
Good Morning everyone. I am on the search for 3'' carb studs because I have to add the EGR back to the engine to get enough height on the Holley 4160 so the throttle linkage doesn't bind on the vacuum actuator coming out of the intake on the drivers side. Being as I am adding the EGR back to the engine I will need to re install the PVS. It is a 3 port vacuum switch and it has the labels 1, D, and 2. Since the vacuum lines were all disconnected when I picked up the engine does anyone know which lines should route to which ports on the PVS? I assume the D port is for the vacuum advance to the dizzy. Also the EGR has two vacuum nipples, one on the EGR itself and another in the top of the plate the EGR bolts to. Does any one have a clue if both are needed or just the one going directly to the EGR?

P.S. I forgot to mention the engine is an 86 351w
Thanks in advance guys,

Old 12-17-2014, 12:53 PM
navct
New User
Hi Pops, I have been working on a 76 restomdd for 6 years and am finally coming close to end. If you want check out 76 f100 restomod on face book. It's under navct.
Good luck it's a project