Sponsored by:

Ignition problem ... lock and tumbler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 12:44 PM
3Nails
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition problem ... lock and tumbler?

I have a '91 Bronco. The ignition works if I turn the steering wheel just right. Otherwise, only the accessories and fuel pump come on. It is getting worse. Takes two of three minutes turning the steering wheel while turning the key on to finally start it. I can usually start it by tilting the steering wheel down all the way. Will not start in the up position. Is it the lock and tumbler or something more serious? I also have cruise. Thanks....

Old 04-16-2011, 01:07 AM
Brain's 97 Diesel
Senior User
Probably a frayed or loose wire in the colum thats why it only goes when you play w/ tilt or wheel. Take the colum upper & lower covers off & look around, see if starts w/o covers, try starting in dark w/o covers & look for sparks. If not then ign switch.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:14 PM
3Nails
Freshman User
Thanks, Brian. It looks like I have to take the steering wheel off to remove the two covers. Is that correct? There are two screws behind the padded part (horn) of the steering wheel. I can take those out but the cover seems to be still attached in the upper middle. Do I just pry it off, or is there something else holding the padded wheel cover? Thanks....

Old 04-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3Nails
Thanks, Brian. It looks like I have to take the steering wheel off to remove the two covers. Is that correct? There are two screws behind the padded part (horn) of the steering wheel. I can take those out but the cover seems to be still attached in the upper middle. Do I just pry it off, or is there something else holding the padded wheel cover? Thanks....
On the bottom of the column cover are 4 screws you need to remove. Also remove the tilt arm, and when I was last in my column, I had to pop out the tumbler.

Don't have to remove the wheel at all at this point.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:29 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ah, Anafiel beat me to it, the column cover should come off without removing the wheel. Look closely along the bottom. There are seams and the screws run up from the bottom through the bottom half of the cover. Some of them are pretty deep set so make sure your Philips screw driver is long enough to get all the way into the holes to the screw heads.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:56 AM
3Nails
Freshman User
I think Ford changed the design from my '91 to your '92 & '93. Mine has a plastic cover next to the dash that is about 3 inches long, the two halves screwed together by two screws from underneath(removed this but nothing that I was looking for). The next cover is the one with the shifter. About a 2 inch long solid metal one piece cover with the shifter held in place by what looks like a pin. The next cover is also metal and is next to the steering wheel. It has the lock and tumbler (which is easy to remove) and the turn signal / tilt arm and the flasher button. Just below the flasher button (which is just below the lock and tumbler) is a rectangle hole about 1/4" by 3/8". You can feel the steering shaft if you poke a screwdriver into the hole, plus see some of the wires. To the left(clockwise) of the rectangle hole is a round hole about 1/4". I can move the turn signal / tilt arm when a screwdriver is poked in it. This metal cover appears to be a one piece part also. I can't find a seam in it. I tried to find a schematic on the internet, but no luck. Is the '91 different from your '92 and '93?

Old 04-17-2011, 12:48 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Not by much. The column is a lot of cast metal and buried mechanicals. (Theft deterrent from an era when it was all too easy to get a long screwdriver and slam the driver's door with it wedged between the column and door in most Chryslers and GMs and run off with the vehicle). The ignition switch itself is way down the column on the bottom with a little pot metal armature that slides down to activate it.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:20 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...n-on-f250.html Read the post by jas88 in this link about replacing the column lock actuator.
My guess would be that it is your problem.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:03 PM
3Nails
Freshman User
Finally got back on the project. Five grandkids for ten days tend to have a higher priority. Found the following web site on removal of the steering wheel (which you have to do to remove the first shroud): YouTube - 1991 F150 Remove steering wheel to replace/repair key and tumbler The video is for a 1991 F150. Not exactly like the Bronco, but close enough. I removed the steering wheel, lock and tumbler, first shroud (metal), third shroud (plastic), turn signal assembly, etc. Wires were in good shape. Didn't see anything unusual. Two of the screws holding the first shroud were sorta loose. I cleaned the inside and air hosed everything real well. Put it all back together and now everything works great. Don't know if a contact was just that dirty or what, but am pleased to have it all working correctly. I appreciate all of your comments and help. Know I can always get great ideas from this site.....