6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

A little video from the shop tsb 09-08-03

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 07:54 PM
craziejoker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I came across this trying to find some answers. I did a chem test, no color change. No white smoke. Plenty of heat also. I had some puking issues so I changed cap and filled coolant to correct level. Fixed it somewhat, but I still had some degas bottle pressure issues. I put a guage inline on the way home and got it warm, then got 18 to 20 psi at full honk, and it went back to around 14 after that. From what I have been reading, the EGR cooler is to blame. I am fine with changing that, but is there any way to be sure the hg's are ok? I will change what I need to, but I just want to be sure before I dig into it.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:09 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,731 Posts
If you prove that you have a bad EGR cooler, there is no sure test to diagnose a leaking head gasket until the EGR cooler is replaced or deleted (at least not that I know about).

Old 10-17-2012, 08:21 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by bismic
If you prove that you have a bad EGR cooler, there is no sure test to diagnose a leaking head gasket until the EGR cooler is replaced or deleted (at least not that I know about).
there is not and that was pretty much the point of this video... yes its an extream example of the way things work and how quick one can over-repair

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-17-2012, 08:24 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
You are a good man Moe (and your record does stand on its own - lol)!!!

Old 10-17-2012, 08:30 PM
craziejoker
Senior User
Thank you. I have no issues with changing what needs to be changed, I am just trying to get away from my "just throw new parts at it" phase and actually learn how to figure out what is for sure wrong.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:37 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
I hear you. If you know you have a leaking EGR cooler, then most Techs are going to tell you to repair the EGR cooler, put it back together, and re-test. So the first step is to park downhill and pull the EGR valve and look for coolant. Then tear it down and remove the EGR cooler and test it. The rest should be pretty obvious depending on what you find and what has been posted.

If you know you want more power w/ tuners, then go ahead and tear it down and install studs w/ new OEM gaskets.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:30 PM
craziejoker
Senior User
EGR delete kit will b ordered tomorrow. I will see how soon I will feel up to installing it though.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:23 PM
mhenry
New User
Cheezit, question! I just picked up a 06 F250 6.0 Saturday. I was getting a lot of pressure build up in the degas bottle and the cap sounded like a tea kettle. Went to a shop a buddy works at and they did they liquid in a tube test on the degas bottle. Within 20 seconds of starting the truck, most of the fluid had bubbled out. Took it back to Ford, and they said it was a faulty cap, put a new one on there and no problems yet. Still seems to be building more pressure than it should. If it's building that fast, (if I'm reading correctly) does it sound more like an EGT problem vs a head gasket?? Ford tech's seem to think it's fine, but they won't be footing the bill if I warp a head...

Haven't been on here long, but I've seen your name all over this forum. Thanks for all the good info!!!

Oh, and I forgot one thing. When you take the cap off the degas bottle (even when it's cold, pressure builds up quick) you can see what appears to be smoke coming out. Even when the coolant is cold.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:40 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

find the tsb and read it. it does a far better job then i do on explaing things.
the best way to figure out what is going on is to use a pressure gauge in line with the degas bottle.
from there a vac test and pressure test of the cooling system.
you should also find out if you have oil cooler issues too.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:05 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mhenry,

If you watch this vid, you may want to try this test on your truck to see if you have similar issues.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:37 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

please no more bill. hes a dip****

Old 07-10-2013, 08:13 AM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
I commend Bill's efforts, he's someone who takes the time showing 6.0 owners how to diagnose engine trouble by posting thorough videos like this one. Evidently he'll even let a guy borrow that gauge too. I see he has good ideas, entertaining, and very helpful to the average owner looking for answers. I've seen alot of his videos and enjoyed them from a novice's point of view.
Being in the same field of work however, your mileage may vary.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:31 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Just don't put Propylene Glycol in your coolant system, use Mercon V tranny fluid, or use Black Onyx head gaskets ..............

Old 07-10-2013, 05:08 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

this is the issue with bill. he is full of misinformation that the avarage person wont know any better and think hes doing them a favor.
he a salesman not a tech

Old 07-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
I agree, a salesman for sure. In this case, at least in Bill's video he shows how to hook up a gauge as to read coolant pressure behavior. Seems like a correct method to me.

You know who's vids a person could really learn from is from 'DieselTechRon'.
He doesn't have alot but they are helpful Powerstroke videos, and has diagnosis skills that are to say the least - impressive.
It's videos like his that make a person take notes. Especially thorough on crank-no starts.
(He also sells rebuilt FICM's.)
I would Highly Recommended his videos to any Powerstoke owner.
He sold me on the diag. ability using a ScangaugeII.

Quick Reply: A little video from the shop tsb 09-08-03