1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Removing door panels to replace mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Killer RC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RICKWV
Killer,
Thanks for the instructions and pictures (Marine Luv Pictures). I put mine on this afternoon with no problem even with my nieghbor helping. I can't believe the difference in vision in the normal position let alone towing.

I would send pictures but just look at your's and think no license plate.

Thanks Again

RickWv
Cool.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Jay Rappa
New User
Thumbs up thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by Killer RC
I installed towing mirrors on my 2010 E350 today. Since they are power mirrors I had to remove the whole door panel to get to the wiring plug. Removing these door panels is easy to do if you've done it before, but its frustrating if you've never done it. So I figured I'd take some pics of the process.

1- Pull on the top of the black sail. It will pop loose. Then lift up and off.
2- Remove black screw behind sail
3- Remove black screw at bottom corner of door
4- Remove black screw behind door handle
5- Pull up on the window/door lock control panel. It will pop loose.
6- Reach down through control panel hole and push out the trim panel around the door handle.
7- Remove black screw on metal plate. There should now be 4 black screws removed from the door.

8- You should now be able to just lift the door panel straight up and off. Then unplug your power mirror wiring from the switch on the door panel.

9- Unbolt the speaker. Reach through the hole and pull the mirror wiring plug out and disconnect it.

10- Now you just unbolt the mirror and pull the wiring out of the door. Then reverse the process with your new mirror.

Check out the difference. Even when fully pushed in, the towing mirrors stick out probably 4" more than the stock mirrors.

BTW, the Ford dealership wants $700 for a pair of mirrors, so I got some non-OEM mirrors online. I got these telescoping power towing mirrors for $203 shipped. AM Autoparts - After Market Auto Parts - Headlights, Mirrors, and More I'm very happy with them so far. They have a cast metal frame inside. They weigh probably twice as much as the stock mirrors. The quality looks as good as OEM mirrors. I can't tell the difference. These might even be better than OEM.

Just replaced the drivers side remote mirror on my 2009 E350. no broken parts thanks to the info that you posted. thanks a ton! dealer wanted $400 and the part cost me $50 shipped to my door!

Old 03-27-2012, 06:10 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay Rappa
Just replaced the drivers side remote mirror on my 2009 E350. no broken parts thanks to the info that you posted. thanks a ton! dealer wanted $400 and the part cost me $50 shipped to my door!
There's a ton of great info here---sometimes easy to find, other times a bit of digging uncovers someone whose already done something.

Be sure to send reps to those most helpful!

Old 03-28-2012, 09:04 PM
jmhoying
Freshman User
Thanks for the info

I'm going to upgrade the speakers on my E-350, so this will save me a lot of time figuring out how to remove the door panel. Thanks!

Old 03-28-2012, 09:37 PM
boulderguy
Senior User
For reference this is identical for a 2002. The panel pieces are shaped differently but the guts, hooks & screws are the same. Good write up

Old 06-06-2012, 08:23 PM
jmhoying
Freshman User
Towing mirrors installed

I purchased towing mirrors from AM-Autoparts and overall, they seem to be of high quality. Quite a bit heavier than I expected. The driver side mirror works perfect, but there apparently is a wiring issue with the passenger side, as it doesn't respond correctly to control inputs. I emailed AM-Autoparts tonight and don't foresee any problems with them setting it straight. The passenger mirror isn't a "objects in mirror are closer than they appear" style, so you don't get quite the field of view as before. That being said, the mirror glass itself is probably 2" taller and 1" wider than stock mirrors.

These will be great for towing my camper, but will be a bit of a pain when parking in my garage, as I have less than 2" clearance at this time. The new mirrors are about 3" wider than the stock mirrors. From the outside of the mirrors, they are 103". When extended, they measure 109" wide, which will be great for towing, but will take some time to remember they are way out there (when parking near trees, etc )

Removing the door panel on my 2008 is slightly different. There is a 5th screw for the door skin behind the control panel. Also, the control panel and trim panel for the latch both have a small screwdriver notch along one edge to pop them loose, which works very easily. The first mirror took about 25 minutes and the second mirror took exactly 14 minutes to complete.

Jack

Last edited by jmhoying; 06-06-2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:23 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Jack I have a 2003 with the newer style door shells which accommodate mirrors with the four mounting studs; 2002 and earlier used a three-stud system but as you've discovered removing the inner door trim is somewhat similar.

I'm assuming your previous power mirrors worked correctly?

I've thought of adding the towing mirrors since I don't care for the smaller faces of the dual element standard mirrors---very much like the previous pedestal mounted sail-type. In fact if I swap my existing ones out I'll then have two full sets of OEM mirrors up for sale!

For the passenger/right side there are replacement mirror elements with the convex or fisheye feature, available from Burco or a local auto glass replacement outfit. They're very easy to replace and should cost less than $30 if its a DIY thing. If its an unheated mirror the Burco part number should be 3304; heated mirrors are available. If all else fails I'm in the auto glass biz and could hook you up--PM me if I can help there.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:52 AM
jmhoying
Freshman User
AM-Autoparts offered to refund me for the defective mirror, but didn't have a passenger side mirror to replace mine with. I asked about a partial refund instead, and they were very accommodating with that idea. So I get to keep the mirror at a deep discount and will learn to control the erratic mirror. Thankfully it's the passenger side, which won't need adjusting as often.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:43 PM
BGLeRoy
5th Wheeling
Your pictures are no longer linked. Can you send me the pictures or repost?

Old 05-13-2015, 05:24 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
he hasn't been here since 2011
send him an email