1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Progress ... hanging sheetmetal!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 04:28 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Keith , I know how you feel .Made a 20 mile round trip in the stock truck today to a show at the local bowling alley to benefit the boy & girl scouts . A buddy I've known since '79 parked his 41 Packard next to me .Haven't seen him in a while .The ezup canopy came in handy again . My buddy Dennis liked it also !

Old 09-05-2015, 04:54 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Been a while since I've see your Firetruck! WOW!! Looks FANTASTIC! Glad you found a safe place to store it close to home. Beautiful beautiful job on that restoration.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:37 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by firstrider
Keith , I know how you feel .Made a 20 mile round trip in the stock truck today to a show at the local bowling alley to benefit the boy & girl scouts . A buddy I've known since '79 parked his 41 Packard next to me .Haven't seen him in a while .The ezup canopy came in handy again . My buddy Dennis liked it also !
Sounds good Denny!

Old 09-06-2015, 07:38 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Dano78
Been a while since I've see your Firetruck! WOW!! Looks FANTASTIC! Glad you found a safe place to store it close to home. Beautiful beautiful job on that restoration.
Thanks Dano! Its nice to hear from you. I hope you are doing well.

Old 09-13-2015, 03:50 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
We have been driving the truck every weekend. Its nice to have it so close. Some have asked for some pics so here they are. I also went to a military show today to see the famous kissing sailor from the end of WWII. It was just over 70 years ago that his picture was taken kissing the nurse at Times Square. Unfortunately he couldn't make the show today. He is 90 and one day was enough for him I guess. The pic is from a friend who saw him yesterday.

He still fits in his uniform!!

Good time to charge the battery. No power at the new warehouse.

Like my garage furniture ... A broken down Buick!!

Some light cleaning. Need to give the truck a good going over!

Old 09-13-2015, 04:18 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Fire Patrol
We have been driving the truck every weekend. Its nice to have it so close. Some have asked for some pics so here they are. I also went to a military show today to see the famous kissing sailor from the end of WWII. It was just over 70 years ago that his picture was taken kissing the nurse at Times Square. Unfortunately he couldn't make the show today. He is 90 and one day was enough for him I guess. The pic is from a friend who saw him yesterday.

He still fits in his uniform!!

Good time to charge the battery. No power at the new warehouse.

Like my garage furniture ... A broken down Buick!!

Some light cleaning. Need to give the truck a good going over!

Thanks for the pics Keith! I just can't get enough of that truck.

It's great that you can drive it regularly now.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:01 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Ditto to what Joe said

The truck looks amazing!

Bobby

Old 09-17-2015, 02:00 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Thanks guys! I tried to get some touch up paint yesterday and had no luck. The paint store found 4 different shades of Dupont Fire Engine Red paint and couldn't find the match for my blue-black. I don't want to call the shop and doubt if they still have the codes written down. The paint supply store has a camera that after taking a picture, can match it pretty close. I don't have many spots to touch up. I am trying to get everything done before the magazine sends someone out to take pics of the truck for the March issue of Vintage Fire Truck and Equipment. They have the article pretty much done except some personal information on me. I am planning on borrowing a ladder from a fire truck friend so any picture from the back will show 2 ladders.

I need a horn button cover for my steering wheel. Will one from a F1 fit a F7?

Old 09-22-2015, 04:47 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
I think the horn buttons should all be the same. I don't know for sure but I'd bet on it.

If I had one, I'd send it to you...mine was long gone when I got the truck

Bobby

Old 09-22-2015, 08:34 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Thanks Bobby. I called one of the vintage truck supply companies and they gave me the measurements (3" OD 2 5/8 ID) I am going out to the truck tomorrow and measure mine. Like you said, I think they are all the same.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:31 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
I received my horn button cover in the mail today ($23 delivered eBay) Bobby, you were right they fit all the F series trucks. I forgot how cracked my steering wheel is and it was very obvious with cover was in place. Its plastic of course and boy does it stink. The boys made faces when I asked them to smell it. The wife said it smells like ***! I'm just trying to get all the minor problems taken care of before the photographer comes out. The interior shot will definitely look better now without a 3 inch hole in the center of the steering wheel.
I thought I saw on line a company that restores steering wheels. I'm going to have to send mine out one day.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:19 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Keith,
Excellent! You're wheel doesn't look like its in that bad of condition.
There was a guy at the swap meet this last weekend that repairs steering wheels, the average price was $300. Ugh.
I've had several buddies repair their cracked wheels using a 2 part epoxy like PC7 (PC Epoxy). They told me it was fairly easy, clean the crack really well, bevel the edges, mix epoxy per specs and fill in the cracks. After it sets you file and sand to final shape, clean and paint.

I'll eventually give it a shot on the Buick wheel I'm using in my 49.

Bobby

Old 09-29-2015, 01:48 PM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
Keith, I am so thrilled that you will be in Fire truck Mag. I received the first issue and called them today to subscribe. I will be looking for it.

As far as steering wheels go, $ 199 in LMC catalog. Midfifty did not list one for your year, but had them for new years 53-56. Good luck. You have done good.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:28 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Thanks Jim! The magazine is great! I was impressed with their first issue. There were many interesting stories about fire trucks and their history. I think my truck will be a perfect fit in it.

Thanks for the info on the steering wheel but I want to keep the original one. I guess for having over 50K miles on it its not in too bad of shape. I think of Ron when I get behind the wheel. It is 2 years ago today he passed. I sure miss talking to him!

Old 09-29-2015, 02:37 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 765 Likes on 375 Posts
Nice horn button.
Repair the steering wheel yourself. I did it with JB Weld
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14100690
It looks pretty good. Not perfect but if you take a little more care than I did, it will look like new for only a few bucks and some elbow grease.

Quick Reply: Progress ... hanging sheetmetal!!