1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 06:58 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 556 Likes on 360 Posts
Found this info that may or may not help you. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ater-pump.html

Old 07-08-2013, 07:03 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 556 Likes on 360 Posts
Here's something posted on the Ford Barn earlier this year. rebuilt water pump/54 FORD y-block 239 - The Ford Barn

Old 07-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
Found this info that may or may not help you. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ater-pump.html

CollectorsAutoSupply.com apparently has 22 of the B6C8501B, which NumberDummy Bill mentioned in that post.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:22 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 784 Likes on 384 Posts
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
CollectorsAutoSupply.com apparently has 22 of the B6C8501B, which NumberDummy Bill mentioned in that post.
It looks like the B6C is for the 6 cylinder.
I found two different number EAT8501B and B6T8501B. It looks like they both fit the 239 and 256, but I'm not sure. I think I will just send mine off to be rebuilt.

I did find the manufacturer of water pumps cardone, they list it and a bunch of sites have it for sale, but no one has it. I tried ordering it from NAPA and the accepted allowed me to place the order and then the next day the cancelled it. (Of course without telling me.) I called and they said they weren't sure when they would get one in. I told them, never and they would probably remove it from their web site......

I did get the timing cover gasket set in the mail the other day. Fel Pro TCS 10677-3. Now I can put that back together. The kit has several gaskets to put everything back on.

I went to my wife's family reunion in Chillicothe MO today. Gwen was talking to her Aunt Nellie about my truck. Aunt Nellie is the sister of Gwen's grandpa who owned the truck. She got a little excited about it and Gwen was telling her all about the door markings. Just his name, town, and gross weight. So it looks like that will be refreshed when the time comes. I would really like Aunt Nellie to see it before she passes.....gotta get to work.

Here is my wife, her mom (Elizabeth) and Aunt Nellie. For reference, my wife is 4'9" Oh, Gwen is far right in bright blue and shorts.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:46 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 616 Likes on 382 Posts
Can you take the WP apart? The casting itself may be unique, but I'd bet the bearing and seal can be matched to other common WP parts. I just got a "universal replacement bearing" for my (car-type) fan, it took a lot of looking but it turned out to be easy and cheap to find. It has to be modified (easily) for specific applications.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Can you take the WP apart? The casting itself may be unique, but I'd bet the bearing and seal can be matched to other common WP parts. I just got a "universal replacement bearing" for my (car-type) fan, it took a lot of looking but it turned out to be easy and cheap to find. It has to be modified (easily) for specific applications.
You are probably right. My uncle, who owns an independent auto parts store, gave me info of a place that rebuilds water pumps not far from Springfield MO (Marshfield actually). I spoke with him and he figured he wouldn't have any problem rebuilding it. Although I would love to tear it apart myself, I don't think I have the tools to do so....hmmm....I might be better off trusting this so someone who knows what they are doing. He will be able to look at the bearing and seal and find a proper fit much better than I.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:32 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Well, I got the broken bolt removed from the block. Fortunately it was broken outside the block. That was a relief. I also verified that the timing chain was 12 pins between the marks. All good there.

For the short amount of time it was on, that gasket looks in rough shape. I'm thinking I need to just flush things out real good.

I also put my water pump in the mail today to get rebuilt. I will let you know how that goes. Funny thing, as I was searching for a new one, I discovered Cardone. Now this place builds water pumps. I contacted them about a new one and they said it was out of stock...well duh, they probably haven't made one in many years. I mentioned that and suggested they take if off of their site since they most likely will never make one again. the gal replied back. "At this time it is not obsolete, but out of stock." I played that up how wonderful it was and that no parts house in the country has one and we would be excited to know when they plan on making some again. Of course no reply.

I did see that Antique Auto Supply had one on their web site, but when I called they didn't have it on their computer. I'm waiting on a call back about a Clutch Spacer Spring, maybe they will find it on their shelves. By the way that clutch spacer spring is hard to locate. I'm sure I found it somewhere, but I couldn't find the vendor again, grrrr. Antique Auto Supply said they have one. We will see when they get back with me.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:32 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuilding Water Pump & Pulley - YouTube
► 13:58► 13:58
www.youtube.com/w...
Mar 7, 2011

Link to mobile site:

I know that you sent yours to a pro, but, I saw on youtube a good video from Tractor Engine Rebuild DVD - Tired Iron Videos :: Tired Iron Videos on rebuilding water pumps. I thought you might get a kick out of it.

Last edited by The Horvaths; 07-27-2013 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Stoopid cellphone links!
Old 07-27-2013, 09:35 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I get. "This video does not exist"

Old 07-27-2013, 09:52 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by arctic y block
I get. "This video does not exist"
Me too. Click the link at the top of the video and it'll take you there.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:56 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Yeah, here it is.
Cool video. I was hoping I might be able to take the water pump there and watch them work. This video is a good lesson for me. Although I would have liked to try it myself, I don't have the tools or the parts. A rebuild kit is probably just as hard to find as a water pump.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:58 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really dig his concept of piston pins. Daaaaayum! That's a piston pin!

Old 07-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
I was working on straightening out the garage today and remembered I hadn't posted this up. My upper radiator pipe was rusted through. I was going to go with a regular hose, but someone suggested (I think my uncle) having a muffler shop build me one. So I did just that and it came out nice.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:19 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
This morning I went to track my water pump which I put in the mail on Saturday. I was amazed that the tracking said it should be delivered today. That is quick. BUT, I looked at the tracking route.... They are driving that water pump all over the state.

Here is the route:
California - Center of state
Hazelwood - Very East of state
Kansas City - Very West of state
Next stop Marshfield - Southeast of state

I live about 100 miles from Marshfield. My water pump will have traveled around 600 miles to get to there.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:48 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Water Pump Update

Well, I hadn't heard from the folk I sent my water pump to, so I called them yesterday. He apologized profusely and said it was there and he would get to it the next day.

Well, this afternoon he called and said the pump was ready. He hopes to get it to UPS today and thinks I might have it tomorrow. WOO HOO!
Now for the good news. To rebuild my obsolete water pump; there are also no rebuild kits left (thanks to some members of this forum ) it cost a whopping $45 plus shipping.

Another guy I called estimated about $100. He is only going to charge me actual shipping as well.

They normally dip them to protect them from rust, but paint doesn't stick well on them after that, so I asked him not to. So when it gets home, I will take some pictures and paint it, take some more pictures, put it on and take some more pictures.

After I check out his work. (Not that I could tell much.) If anyone wants this guys info it sounds like a great place to get a water pump rebuilt.

Quick Reply: 55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread