1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

IPR o-rings replaced

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 08:21 AM
NavyMIDN08
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
IPR o-rings replaced

I just had to replace the O-rings for the IPR. Called Jim at Rosewood Diesel and he overnighted the parts out. Quick shipping, and fixed the problem great. Will post pictures later.

Thanks Jim

Old 03-31-2011, 04:03 PM
NavyMIDN08
Elder User
I went ahead and took a picture of the blown o-ring on the IPR, since I really didn't know what I was looking for. I'm not sure at what point you start having starting problems, and what point its just causing power issues, but mine was pretty far gone. You can see the o-ring is pretty well blown past, and where the oil pressure was escaping. There was a substantial amount of burnt oil caked on the backside of the IPR where it was bleeding by the secondary o-ring. Again, thanks go out to Jim at Rosewood Diesel for getting me the parts in such a quick fashion.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:47 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Yep, that is ugly. Good pic.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:48 PM
deadsenator
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the post. What were your symptoms? How did you narrow it down? How long was the truck and you suffering?

Old 03-31-2011, 09:09 PM
NavyMIDN08
Elder User
it had been running rough for a while. I was able to narrow it down based on a no-hot-start issue. My first guess was the glow plugs, but they checked out fine warm and cold. So, I did a search on FTE (GASP!!!) for 'hot start issue' and everyone suggested to change the IPR o-rings. the explanation I saw said that when the oil is cold its viscous enough that it won't seep past the o-rings fast enough to cause a problem, but trying to start it when its warm is an issue because the engine is trying to start and oil is getting past eh IPR. i had to start it off starting fluid when it was hot for about a week. I tried to avoid that as much as possible by letting it idle if I'd be a short time, or letting it sit long enough to totally cool off (thankfully its still cool in northern new York).

The symptoms seemed to fit me perfectly, the parts were cheap, and Jim agreed, so I ordered the parts and got to work. I did have to run for more fuel line, as all the original lines were cracking apart when I pulled the fuel bowl to get to the IPR. Probasbly good I fixed it, the lines weren't long for this world

Some say that you can replace the IPR by just pulling the fuel pressure regulator, but frankly I'm big, and my large hands wouldn't fit in that tiny space.

None of the posts had a picture of the bad o-ring, so I wanted to post one, and give my thanks to the forum sponsor. I didn't have any other issues, and decided against disassembling the IPR. the o-ring was definitely the issue. Truck idles much smoother now.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:28 AM
deadsenator
Senior User
Glad you got it sorted and I appreciate the extra info. I am trying to get past some rough running issues too and I was curious if this might be a possible source. Still not sure, since I have no hot start issues at all. Rough steady throttle down the road and when warm, rough low RPM acceleration. Fuel pump was R&Red at 55k and I am at 120k now.
Just sayin. I don't mean to hijack or anything. I've been reading a bunch here too. I really love the forum. He||, it's solved plenty of stuff for me and I never had to post a thing about most of it! lol

Thanks again.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:58 AM
NavyMIDN08
Elder User
Originally Posted by deadsenator
Glad you got it sorted and I appreciate the extra info. I am trying to get past some rough running issues too and I was curious if this might be a possible source. Still not sure, since I have no hot start issues at all. Rough steady throttle down the road and when warm, rough low RPM acceleration. Fuel pump was R&Red at 55k and I am at 120k now.
Just sayin. I don't mean to hijack or anything. I've been reading a bunch here too. I really love the forum. He||, it's solved plenty of stuff for me and I never had to post a thing about most of it! lol

Thanks again.
I know what you mean. most of the time I solve my problems without making a single post, but I try and give back when I can.

Have you checked the pressure coming out of your high pressure oil pump? There is a thread somewhere about how to make a gauge to check it. have you checked the fuel pressure off the regulator? I know all the fuel hoses on my fuel bowl were shot when I pulled it, it could lead to low fuel pressure... Boost is good?

No reason to worry about hijacking, I was just trying to provide a picture of what the bad part does, I'm a visual learner, I figured others might be helped too.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Hijacking is an OBS forum trait.

Rough idle can be a number of things from IPR to injector springs.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:54 PM
deadsenator
Senior User
Thanks guys. The mech-pressure gauge I have hooked up reads 72 at idle and 75-80 while running. Turbo boost is fine. The idle is super. It's more of an uneven throttle when simply maintaining a steady speed down the freekway. After running at speed for 20 minutes, low acceleration is quite rough. I am getting worried about having the power come towing season....

If it ends up being an injector issue, I will just go Stage 1.

---Looks like my IPR was fine. Re-ringed it anyways, while I was there. But Stage 1's may be in the cards.

Last edited by deadsenator; 04-12-2011 at 02:09 AM. Reason: updated