1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Anyone running on Transmission Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 01:21 AM
plessasrdjr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone running on Transmission Fluid?

Tired of paying these prices at the pump and was talking to some good friends of mine who are the truck shop mechanics at the ford store. They are running atf in their trucks and thought I would give it a werl.

I went tonight and got some 55 gallon drums and a 275 gallon tote and called a tranny shop who will sell me their spent tranny fluid for .10/gallon if I provide the drum and pick it up every-other-week.

I still need to get a transfer pump and my thought was pump it out of the 55 gallon drums into the tote and filter it down to 15 microns. Then when pumping it into the truck, filter down to 10 microns and put a magnet in the filter to get a lower micron rating. I would like to get a 5 micron filter but have not seen one from goldenrod.

(Also, they are putting 1 bottle of c-tane? per tank)

Any recommendations on the entire idea?

Thanks,
Paul

Old 03-27-2011, 05:36 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
I wouldn't run anything that didn't meet ATSM standards for diesel fuel. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:34 AM
NJ250HD
New User
Racor has 2 micron filters. I use one when transfering fuel and have one mounted in my diesel car.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:38 PM
lud04X
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had a Ford Diesel mechanic friend do it for 5 years in a 97 F350. Used a micron filter system. Never had a problem. You should start the truck up on diesel and shut it down on diesel though especially in colder weather.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:34 PM
plessasrdjr
Senior User
Originally Posted by lud04X
I have had a Ford Diesel mechanic friend do it for 5 years in a 97 F350. Used a micron filter system. Never had a problem. You should start the truck up on diesel and shut it down on diesel though especially in colder weather.
Why do you say start and stop on diesel? Down here in S. Carolina, where I am at, about the coldest it gets is 15 and that is in the cold of winter. For the most part it is above 40. So I am not too concerned with cold, or should I?

Old 03-27-2011, 09:59 PM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
It doesn't hurt the trans to start and stop with it in the cold. The only problem would maybe lubricosity but I've heard over plenty of people running it to clean the injectors so it may help

Old 03-27-2011, 10:31 PM
jleal_21
Senior User
Are they running straight ATF fluid or a mix with diesel?

Old 03-28-2011, 12:20 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I want to hear more. I've heard both sides of the arguements.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:54 AM
1973dieselhighboy
Senior User
i would not be running it expecialy in the heui injectors, i ran straight atf from work and it was great while it lasted but it would take the tips off the glow plugs in the idi and then after about 8 months of running it the cold weather hit and it only gets to maybe low 20s at the coldest here and i had all sorts of runnabilty problems, and it also destroyed my piston rings had massive blow by and after that i figured paying the out ragest fuel price was better then having a blow up engine and then be stuck for a week without a truck and that is if you find a used good one cheap and can get it swapped, i would not do it if it was me, been there and done it wont again

Old 03-28-2011, 07:21 AM
plessasrdjr
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1973dieselhighboy
i would not be running it expecialy in the heui injectors, i ran straight atf from work and it was great while it lasted but it would take the tips off the glow plugs in the idi and then after about 8 months of running it the cold weather hit and it only gets to maybe low 20s at the coldest here and i had all sorts of runnabilty problems, and it also destroyed my piston rings had massive blow by and after that i figured paying the out ragest fuel price was better then having a blow up engine and then be stuck for a week without a truck and that is if you find a used good one cheap and can get it swapped, i would not do it if it was me, been there and done it wont again

Do you think that it was not filtered down enough to cause the blow by? i was just thinking that it would be similar to running wvo?

Old 03-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Major Marvin
Elder User
Originally Posted by plessasrdjr
Tired of paying these prices at the pump and was talking to some good friends of mine who are the truck shop mechanics at the ford store. They are running atf in their trucks and thought I would give it a werl.

I went tonight and got some 55 gallon drums and a 275 gallon tote and called a tranny shop who will sell me their spent tranny fluid for .10/gallon if I provide the drum and pick it up every-other-week.

I still need to get a transfer pump and my thought was pump it out of the 55 gallon drums into the tote and filter it down to 15 microns. Then when pumping it into the truck, filter down to 10 microns and put a magnet in the filter to get a lower micron rating. I would like to get a 5 micron filter but have not seen one from goldenrod.

(Also, they are putting 1 bottle of c-tane? per tank)

Any recommendations on the entire idea?

Thanks,
Paul
I personally wouldn't mess with it no matter the savings. You may be better off producing biodiesel for around a dollar a gallon and with your climate, you'd be set as far as temps go. The only prob would be in the winter, at that point you can mix ULSD so your fuel doesn't gel up. You could mix it down to B20 or less and be running smooth..

Old 03-28-2011, 11:18 AM
plessasrdjr
Senior User
I found this...

From Mississippi State University Extension Service...
http://msucares.com/pubs/infosheets/is1621.html

Quote:
Consider Used Oil as Equipment Fuel Waste engine oil and hydraulic oil also can be filtered (5 micron filter or smaller) and burned in a diesel solution in tractors and in other equipment. A good starting point is 90 percent diesel and 10 percent oil, although up to 100 percent oil use is possible with good filtration and preheating. Be sure to check with the engine manufacturer before burning waste oil in engines under warranty. With vegetable oil prices low (20 cents or less per pound) and diesel prices high, soybean or cotton seed oil blends with diesel fuel may be economical.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:33 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
UMO in our trucks is a NO NO NON NO NONONOOOOOO

bad bad bad

the HEUI injectors will go kaput using Waste Motor or Trans Oil.

You cannot filter it fine enough to keep the injectors safe.

The Dotches, and the Chebbies can run it.
the old cummins can run it really easy.

Just asking for trouble using WMO.
The fine metal particles clog the injectors up.
just because its a 2 micron filter doesn't mean its filtering 99% at 2 microns.

Also,
you'd have to make sure you started and stopped the truck while running diesel.

WMO doesn't have enough unf to fire until the motor is warmed up.
You'd have a hell of a time if you shut it off and left it over night and forgot to switch.
Gotta clean out the lines and get diesel in them.

if you want to use it as an additive, I woudlnt' suggest it, but you could get away with running heavy ATF in there.
But the ATF is hard on our fuel lines as well.
The chemicals in the ATF are not to great in the motor or injectors either.

I run reg atf as strait additive if i have nothing else, but i dont like itoo.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:33 PM
plessasrdjr
Senior User
Keith Stone,
Is the only concern the small pieces of metal that might not get filtered out? And as far as cranking, I know ATF has less BTU's, but that is why I was thinking of running 80/20 mix with diesel with c-tane.

Last edited by plessasrdjr; 03-28-2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Kieth Stone saved Kitty
Old 03-28-2011, 06:04 PM
Krisx125
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by plessasrdjr
Keith Stone,

Quick Reply: Anyone running on Transmission Fluid?