Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2011, 02:16 PM
New User

ArtStream is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Stripped water pump T housing threads

Hey you Powerstroke geniuses!

I've been learning all sorts of great repair tips and procedures from you folks over the past few months.

Thank You.

I recently replaced my T-stat during a flush, when I backed out the 3 bolts, one was difficult backing all the way out. Inspection of the bolt showed aluminum in the bolt threads. I cleaned the bolt and reassembled the T housing. I cleaned all mating surfaces and with fingers crossed torqued to 10 flbs.

It's has held for about 600 miles and is now leaking.

I've read all the posts on leaking t-housings.

I'm thinking I'll need to tap or something. I'm on the road and have 2,000 miles ahead of me.

The Water pump threads go completely through the flange, could I put in a longer bolt and use a nut ?

I'm not far from Yuma, so I could get to hardware and auto parts stores.

Is the nut and bolt idea viable?

Any Ideas?

Thanks you guy's

FTE rocks...

1998 E 350 TDI, cut away van.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Post Fiend

Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
If the hole passes all the way threw and the room is there a nut on the back side will be perfectly fine.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829
Old 03-02-2011, 03:49 PM
New User

ArtStream is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bolts

Thanks Snowseeker.

The truck is still drivable for a short hop into Yuma.
I'm afraid to touch the housing bolts till I have a longer replacement and some RTV and some nuts.

Given that, would you know or anyone what size bolts (thread size)
they are, I'll just add 1/2 for the bolt?

Thanks SS

PS, I have friends in Big Flats, WI!
Old 03-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Post Fiend

Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
I don't know personally but in a search I found 6x20mm coarse thread. So 6x30mm should work out nicely. personally I would try and get stainless hardware, it normally isn't much more in price.

I agree, don't touch the bolts until you get the longer ones.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829
Old 03-02-2011, 04:15 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
1997, 73, bolt, diesel, fittings, housing, kit, pump, sale, striped, stripped, theads, thread, truck, water