1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Water Pump Leak Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 11:32 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Water Pump Leak Question

Just figured I would start a new thread. After all of the huge debacle, I got the new water pump installed and got everything back together. When I test drove it, there is a leak coming from behind the housing where the long bolt goes into the block on the driver side. Does anyone know if this bolt needs to be resealed with some sort of thread sealer? When I took it out I noticed what seemed was red RVT in the threads and I cannot figure out where else the leak could be coming from. It's just a slow steady drip, nothing major, but after all the work and a brand-new pump it is driving me crazy.

Please help...please....LOL

Old 09-10-2015, 11:59 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
The o ring/gasket that goes in between the pump and block didn't shift on you did it? When I replace the wp, I use a dab of RTV on the corners to hold the gasket to the pump.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:39 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
I am pretty sure it didn't Tom, but anything is possible I guess. I triple checked it as much as I could see before I bolted it down tight. It looks to be coming from the front of the oil cooler area, but it doesn't make sense. Hopefully this morning with fresh eyes, I'll be able to find it. I just can't believe that this "2-3 hour job" has turned into a 3 day fiasco with so much work. I must not have the wrenching ability I seem to think I have. Pretty discouraged at this point. Hillbillies doing this on Youtube have great success....not me this time.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:52 AM
Vertrees
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also use a bit of RTV to hold the gasket in place. I have never had trouble getting mine to seal this way.

Do you have a pressure tester? I usually bring the system up to 16 PSI and then I'll watch for bubbling/spitting coolant.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:01 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Vertrees
I also use a bit of RTV to hold the gasket in place. I have never had trouble getting mine to seal this way.

Do you have a pressure tester? I usually bring the system up to 16 PSI and then I'll watch for bubbling/spitting coolant.
I don't have a pressure tester. I didn't use RTV because the gasket snapped in place. I didn't want any leak points and the gasket wouldn't move even holding the pump upside down. That is why I just don't think it's the gasket, but I could be wrong. If I have to pull all of this again today, I am thinking it might go up for sale. I am just so frustrated and tired and stuck on this twilight zone of an island where no one has anything and getting a fan clutch tool takes a week. This was supposed to be a much needed week of vacation for me and my girls. It's been anything but a vacation. It's been me working on this truck since Monday, every day. It's Friday and it's not fixed. Apparently my wrenching abilities absolutely suck.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:22 AM
Vertrees
Senior User
I'd clean it up real good, and fire it up while under the truck to observe the leak to better pin point the source.

Off memory I want to say there is no water jacket by that bolt. Also did you get the surface cleaned real good before install?

Another good method to figuring out the issue:
1: loosen all the bolts just enough to be broke loose.

2: re-torque the bolts in the proper sequence to get a good seal (Just like a wheel if you dont tighten them in sequence it wont seat right.)

3: if the problem still persist then you can try snugging the bolts a bit more, or go ahead and throw some RTV back on the bolt you think is leaking past.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:14 AM
majorgator
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you sure its coming from that bolt? There's not a chance its coming from the upper bolts on the t-stat housing, is it? That area is prone to leaking and can drip down and masquerade itself as coming from somewhere else. I'm sure you've confirmed this, but hey, its worth mentioning just in case.

Otherwise, my money would be on the seal between the pump and the block. Is it a cheap parts store pump? There's a chance that it could be machine poorly. The red stuff you saw on the bolt was likely loc-tite.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:07 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by majorgator
Are you sure its coming from that bolt? There's not a chance its coming from the upper bolts on the t-stat housing, is it? That area is prone to leaking and can drip down and masquerade itself as coming from somewhere else. I'm sure you've confirmed this, but hey, its worth mentioning just in case.

Otherwise, my money would be on the seal between the pump and the block. Is it a cheap parts store pump? There's a chance that it could be machine poorly. The red stuff you saw on the bolt was likely loc-tite.
I was just coming to give an update after my whine session. I re-torqued everythign and even pulled that long bolt and put Loctite threadsealer on it. It probably did nothing other than make me re-tighten everything. I took it for a drive and so far, the only leak that is happening now is coming form the back bolt on the Tstat housing. It's a drip about every minute. It's not even enough to leave on the ground. But Gator, you are correct, it does look like its the seal right underneath that area, but I confirmed it is the Tstat housing. It's a new Tstat and gasket from RiffRaff. What I think is happening is that the neck that connects to the upper hose is so pitted that it isn't sealing. It was pretty corroded and I cleaned with a wire wheel. There is an indention where it sits on the gasket, so I am guessing the mating surface is compromised. I am going to get a billet housing and a new hose and trash the old one. There is no reason it should be leaking at that point with a new pump mating surface and new gasket. The pump is OEM. It is good quality and much heavier than the one that came off.

This entire fiasco started because I broke the bolt on the old pump trying to replace the Tstat gasket. It ended up being a blessing in disguise because the bearing in the old pump had play and made grinding noises when I checked it by hand.

Thanks for letting me gripe and responding in spite of it. It's been a hard couple of weeks getting this truck in top shape. Nothing good comes easy I guess. I'd buy you a beer if you were close!

Old 09-11-2015, 10:13 AM
majorgator
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AHA!
You got it!
The Tstat housing on mine leaked as well, even though it was brand new. The billet housing was out of stock, so I went to the auto parts store and bought some t-stat housing sealant (grey, I believe). No leaks since!

Old 09-11-2015, 10:28 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
I'd clean it up real good, and fire it up while under the truck to observe the leak to better pin point the source.

Off memory I want to say there is no water jacket by that bolt. Also did you get the surface cleaned real good before install?

Another good method to figuring out the issue:
1: loosen all the bolts just enough to be broke loose.

2: re-torque the bolts in the proper sequence to get a good seal (Just like a wheel if you dont tighten them in sequence it wont seat right.)

3: if the problem still persist then you can try snugging the bolts a bit more, or go ahead and throw some RTV back on the bolt you think is leaking past.
Meant to say thanks for your help!

Old 09-11-2015, 12:33 PM
Vertrees
Senior User
Anytime man! Yea them thermostat housings suck. I had a heck of a time with mine too.

The parts store sent me the wrong o-ring. I had to reuse my old one since I didnt have time to swing by the parts store before I left on my 100 mile trip. It started leaking when I arrived to my destination. I got some air craft grade RTV from the helicopter mechanics where I was, and that only got me back home.

Upon getting home I bought the proper o-ring, and it started leaking again! Pulled it back off again and coated her with RTV, and then my coolant tank burst.........I did put a new cap on the tank during all this too, so I am assuming its good. I may check it pops off correctly now that I'm thinking about it!

Old 09-11-2015, 01:02 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Anytime man! Yea them thermostat housings suck. I had a heck of a time with mine too.

The parts store sent me the wrong o-ring. I had to reuse my old one since I didnt have time to swing by the parts store before I left on my 100 mile trip. It started leaking when I arrived to my destination. I got some air craft grade RTV from the helicopter mechanics where I was, and that only got me back home.

Upon getting home I bought the proper o-ring, and it started leaking again! Pulled it back off again and coated her with RTV, and then my coolant tank burst.........I did put a new cap on the tank during all this too, so I am assuming its good. I may check it pops off correctly now that I'm thinking about it!
Your time sounds akin to mine...and that note, it's back to a steady drip/ stream. FML...got some RTV gray. I am gonna try that and try the other gasket I have. The one from Clay was pretty thick and allows the housing to bend quite a bit.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:18 PM
Vertrees
Senior User
I cleaned mine up with a "cookie" (the scotch bright material on a 90 degree air grinder) I find I can get a better matting surface with that. If you have the capabilities to do it its worth trying as you can get a more even pass then a wire wire brush. They do make different grades of it. If its real bad I will use a heaver grade to make a very light pass, and a finer grade to clean it up nice.

You dont want to try to remove the pitting though, just clean it up. You stand to remove to much on one side or the other and cause a bad seal if you try to get rid of it. Also a steal wire brush will scar your housing. Perhaps I'm over paranoid with that, but I refuse to use any brush other than a brass one because of the scarring on anything I want to seal.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:34 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
THe bolts tend to bend the housing when tightened . Make sure the mating surface is even all the way .

Old 09-11-2015, 09:43 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Action4478
THe bolts tend to bend the housing when tightened . Make sure the mating surface is even all the way .
Thanks Rick. I definitely learned this the hard way. LOL