Old 03-13-2003, 01:09 PM
adanacro
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KOER test,code 43?

1988 Bronco
Automatic
KOEO codes are 11

KOER codes came back as 43=EGO sensor,right?
I can't seem to find any info about this sensor in my Chilton's book.
I need to know where it is.
Can I test it?
Is it cheaper/better to just replace it now.

The battery was unhooked for a couple hours early last week.Mid week I Finally discovered exhaust leak in the tube from the front of the passenger side exhaust manifold up to the EGR valve.I repaired the leak with JB Weld(it's holding really well).Have not disconnected battery since to reset codes.

On a side note there is a hole in the vacuum line going to the"heater control"on the passenger side,right near the top,next to the firewall.I asked at Ford and was told that the lines are not available.Is this correct?Does anybody make any kind of repair kits?I don't really want to go to the auto wreckers.

Old 03-13-2003, 05:06 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
KOER test,code 43?

Just because a part is mentioned in a code definition DOESN'T mean there's anything wrong with it. It means the computer is reading an unexpected value from that circuit. It could be a computer fault (not likely), a wiring fault (not likely), a sensor fault (not likely), or something making the engine run wrong that the sensor is picking up (very probable). Make the engine run right and the computer won't set that code again.

Old 03-13-2003, 06:46 PM
88Dying Bronco
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KOER test,code 43?

The EGR position sensor is right on top of the EGR valve, I think thats what your asking I think I paid 30.00 or so for it from Napa, but beware you can fall into the "throw parts at it until its fixed game" (translate to wasting $$$)unless your positive thats causing your reading. Search for posts regarding codes and read the nightmare I had with my 88. Good luck.

Old 03-13-2003, 06:59 PM
88Dying Bronco
Freshman User
KOER test,code 43?

Ooops! I read your post as EGR not EGO...
My book shows that as a continuos memory code and that its the oxygen sensor reading lean at wide open throttle.
The sensor will be in your exhaust piping near the manifolds.It should have a single wire going to it.
I think thats more helpful

I would reset the comp and recheck the codes before you buy anything. Disconnect battery for 5-10 mins, hook it back up and go for a drive, prefferably on the highway where you can hold a steady speed of 60 or so. Might run poorly for a few minutes, drive 15-30 miles. Good luck.

Last edited by 88Dying Bronco; 03-13-2003 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:38 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
KOER test,code 43?

88s used a 3- or 4-wire HEGO, and you don't have to unhook the battery to clear the codes.

Old 03-13-2003, 11:30 PM
88Dying Bronco
Freshman User
KOER test,code 43?

Steve, nice sight you have there. I was trying to keep it in laymans terms(E.G. 1 wire= harness to plug) so anyone reading would understand. It did not sound as if he had a scan tool to clear the codes. This method was taught to me by a Ford master tech as the easiest to do without a scanner. I would love to know another way to do it.
I did not see it at the link you provided. I'm just trying to help the guy out best I can and maybe learn some new tricks along the way. Thats what these forums are all about, right?
Peace, John

Old 03-14-2003, 11:13 AM
adanacro
New User
KOER test,code 43?

Originally posted by steve83
88s used a 3- or 4-wire HEGO, and you don't have to unhook the battery to clear the codes.
Really.How do I clear the codes than?

I have a Sunpro model#9015 scanner,it doesn't say anything about being able to clear codes.I was under the impression that disconnecting the battery would do it.

The vehicle test harness has 3 and 1 prongs.

What is HEGO.

What is most likely to cause the lean condition...

I can't get any more than a couple of gurgles out of the schrader connection on the fuel rail irregardless of motor on/off/running.

Changed the fuel filter 1 month ago.It was pretty dirty.New gas tank 2 years ago.Have put through a couple of bottles of injector cleaner

Fuel rail gummend up fom cleaning throttle body and intake manifold maybe?

Old 03-14-2003, 07:24 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
KOER test,code 43?

To clear the codes without unhooking the battery (which also clears the adaptive strategy by removing the Keep-Alive Memory Power "KAM" or KAPWR"), just remove the jumper or turn off the scantool while the codes are flashing out. Haynes describes it in more detail, but that's it and it works. I do it all the time. A scantool is unnecessary on EEC-IVs.

HEGO is Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen sensor, also called HO2S.

A vacuum leak is the most common cause of a lean condition.

If the fuel pump is running when you open the schrader valve, it should shoot gasoline onto the hood. Sounds like you have some blockage - get a cheap valve coring tool at Wal-Mart or a parts store and see if there's some debris inside yours.

Nothing from the TB/intake can ever get into the fuel rail.

I recently found this list on my Ford service CD:

Bypass Air (BPA): Mechanical control of throttle bypass air.

Differential Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE): An EGR system that monitors differential EGR pressure across a remote orifice to control EGR flow.

Distributor Ignition (DI): (formerly TFI, CBD, or Duraspark) A system in which the ignition coil secondary circuit is switched by a distributor in proper sequence to various spark plugs.

Dual Overhead Cam (DOHC): An engine configuration that uses two camshafts positioned above the valves.

EEC-IV: Ford's fourth generation EEC system.

EGR Pressure Transducer (EPT): An EGR system that uses a mechanical pressure transducer to control EGR flow.

EGR Valve Position (EVP): An EGR system that monitors EGR valve position to control EGR flow.

Electronic Engine Control (EEC): The system that provides electronic control of engine operation.

Electronic Ignition (EI): (formerly DIS or EDIS) A system in which the ignition coil secondary circuit is dedicated to specific spark plugs without the use of a distributor. Ford currently has two types of EI systems, Low Data Rate (formerly DIS) and High Data Rate (formerly EDIS).

Evaporative Emission (EVAP): A system to prevent fuel vapor from escaping into the atmosphere. Typically includes a charcoal canister to store fuel vapors.

Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR): Reducing NOx emissions levels by adding exhaust gas to the incoming air/fuel mixture.

Flexible Fuel (FF): (formerly Flex Fuel or FFV) A system capable of using a variety of fuels for vehicle operation.

Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S): (formerly HEGO) An Oxygen Sensor (OS2) that is electrically heated.

High Swirl Combustion (HSC): A cylinder and piston configuration that causes swirling of the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder.

HO: High Output.

Idle Air Control (IAC): (formerly ISC) Electrical control of throttle bypass air.

Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL): A required on-board indicator to alert the driver of an emission related malfunction. May read either "CHECK ENGINE" or "SERVICE ENGINE SOON".

Mass Air Flow (MAF): A system which provides information on the mass flow rate of the intake air to the engine.

Multiport Fuel Injection (MFT): (formerly EFI) A fuel-delivery system in which each cylinder is individually fueled.

On-Board Diagnostic (OBD): A system that monitors some or all computer input and control signals. Signal(s) outside of the predetermined limits imply a fault in the system or in a related system.

Overhead Cam (OHC): An engine configuration that uses a single camshaft positioned above the valves.

Oxidation Catalytic Converter (OC): (formerly COC) A catalytic converter system that reduces levels of HC and CO.

Oxygen Sensor (O2S): (formerly EGO) A sensor which detects oxygen (O2) content in the exhaust gases.

Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV): A system that vents vapors from the crankcase.

Powertrain Control Module (PCM): (formerly EEC processor, ECA, ECM, or ECU) The module that controls the EEC system.

Pressure Feedback EGR (PFE): An EGR system that monitors EGR pressure across a remote orifice to control EGR flow.

Pulsed Secondary Air Injection (PAIR): (formerly Thermactor II) A pulse-driven system for providing secondary air without an air pump by using the engine exhaust system pressure fluctuations or pulses.

Reduction Oxidation Catalytic Converter (REDOX): A catalytic converter system that is designed to operate at high temperatures. At low temperatures, it reduces levels of HC and CO. At high temperatures, it reduces levels of HC, CO, and NOx.

Secondary Air Injection Diverter (AIRD): (formerly TAD or AM2) Diverts secondary air to either the catalyst or the exhaust manifold.

Secondary Air Injection (AIR): (formerly Thermactor or Air Management) A pump driven system for providing secondary air.

Secondary Air Injection Bypass (AIRB): (formerly TAB or AM1) Vents secondary air to atmosphere.

Sequential Multiport Fuel Injection (SFI): (formerly SEFI) A multiport fuel delivery system in which each injector is individually energized and timed relative to its cylinder intake event. Normally fuel is delivered to each cylinder once per two crankshaft revolutions in four cycle engines and once per crankshaft revolution in two cycle engines.

SHO: Super High Output.

Supercharged (SC): An intake system that utilizes a supercharger.

Three Way + Oxidation Catalytic Converter (TWC+OC): (formerly TWC & COC) A catalytic converter system that has both Three Way Catalyst (TWC) and Oxidation Catalyst (OC). Usually secondary air is introduced between the two catalysts.

Three Way Catalytic Converter (TWC): A catalytic converter system that reduces levels of HC, CO, and NOx.

Last edited by steve83; 03-14-2003 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:26 PM
adanacro
New User
KOER test,code 43?

Thanks Steve
I have a core removal tool,I'm assuming you mean crap in the valve itself.I'll check it,I suppose I should find a fuel pressure gauge if it doesn't improve.

I have couple of vacum leaks,one on the def./vent/floor switch,one on the black line coming off the "tomato soup can" and another some where in/around the lower intake manifold.It leaks also so I'll be reapiring the gaskets soon anyway.

Your very helpful,thanks

Richard.