1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What can I remove from this 1996 351

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 07:43 AM
Gibby55
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What can I remove from this 1996 351

I purchased a 5.8l engine out of a running 1996 F150. Before I put the motor in my 55' F100 I want to remove whatever i do not need so that I have less hoses and wiringing for the motor making it a cleaner look. I have worked on import motors my whole life and do not know to much about this 351. What should I remove that I do not need for emissions, smog, and so on.

I want to keep this motor efi and I do plan on building this motor so any advice as to what you did would be greatly appriciated. Thinking about stroking it to a 408, just need to do more google searching for heads , intake, injector size, and so on

Old 02-14-2011, 07:47 AM
nice1960f250
Senior User
what are you going to do bout your mounts?

Old 02-14-2011, 08:00 AM
Gibby55
Junior User
Going with a Mustang II frontend from CPP and I was going to discuss with them what I should do.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:17 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
There is more stuff on your engine that makes it run, than for "smog". The computer and sensors are calibrated to read all the signals sent to them from all those various components. If you start taking things off you think you don't need, the computer will try to compensate for what's missing and it'll never run right.

My best advice would be to try your best to reroute or hide as much as you can to make it pretty, and not worry so much about what doesn't need to be there. That is the downside to electronic control vs. 'simplier times', everything has a purpose.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:26 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
As has already been said...this is not a simple process. There are a few sensors that must remain; crank position, cam position, mass air flow, etc but there is much that can go. What is critical is that you get an ECU (engine control unit) or a PCM (powertrain control module) or whatever name you want to call the computer system that controls the engine and transmision functions, that can be programmed to meet the requirements of your "new" engine configuration. These systems can be bought from aftermarket suppliers, Holly for instance, or there are some enterprising folks who can reprogram your OEM unit. This is not a simple process but it can be done. You may want to look into aftermarket EFI systems as a bolt on...the stock Ford EFI setup is not very astectically pleasing just in case that is a concern. The aftermarket systems are pricey but they are also bolt-on solutions.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:49 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I know you want EFI but converting to a carburetor may be considerably cheaper...

Old 02-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
I am gonna steer ya the other direction! keep the EFI!
start reading...Ford Fuel Injection
there are other sites too but I only got a little time right now.
I am SLOWLY doing my research on my 5.8L efi, mine is a '95
I am not sure if you have a MAF setup or speed density setup, but if there is a MAF sensor between the throttle body and aircleaner, get it if it doesn't cost anymore, it shouldn't.
PM me and I will be glad to tell you what I know(not a ton at this point)
I would assume that its gonna be EEC-V which is a pain to swap.
You can use a mustang computer and harness to yield the best bang for the buck efi. Way more to say than what I just typed but, PM me cause I am interested since you have the same thing goin on as me.
I used a JAG IFS so my motor mounts are not going to apply to you mustang II setup, but I had to fab my own. You probably won't have to because of the popularity of the MII. talk at ya later! Jeff

Old 02-14-2011, 01:42 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
I am gonna steer ya the other direction! Jeff
Not trying to steer anybody in any direction...just pointing out a fact. If you have deep pockets then EFI is the way to go. Not everybody has deep pockets.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
My pockets are alway full of...well...not money...!
When I got my 5.8L or 351W, whatever ya want to call it, I was going to go with a carb.
I would need an intake, carb and distributor, a fuel pump (cause the 95 doesn't have accomodations for a mechanical pump)
I started to price stuff and I thought...Why don't I look at keeping the EFI?
Now the carb setup is, in my book, WAY less trouble.
I aready had most everything for the EFI. yeah the wiring is gonna be a headache but the whole project is about the challenge.
I mean if you want to buy an aftermarket EFI setup, yeah you gotta have DEEP pockets, but using factory ford EFI salvage yard or used parts, its really not that much more than the carb setup, IMHO.
I got a salvage yard that is enjoying all the pics and chit chat about the truck and they are really easy on me pricewise! I will be giving them advertisement if I ever get to a car show or cruise-in!
You know, everyones situation is different, if I had access to some buddies with some extra parts, then maybe it would be different for me, but yeah I just like the challenge! So I hope that explains me a bit!

Old 02-14-2011, 05:37 PM
lvin4jc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm stripping my '93 351W down too, but i'm going the carb route so I get to take pretty much everything off, she's down to 2 pulleys (3 when I get an alternator for it) all the smog junk is gone and it's starting to look like an engine again.

I'd agree that if you have to keep EFI that an aftermarket setup would probably be a lot simpler than trying to adapt the existing EFI, but I could be wrong, that happened once.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Hi there pastor!
I know that everyone has there own opinion about the carb vs efi as well as other topics here and I respect everyones opinion either way.
I really agree that going with a carb would get me on the road sooner!

I guess I just alway push myself into learning more about lots of issues, if I wasn't that way I would have never thought for one minute to attempt a project like this truck. heck I would still be paying someone else to do my stuff, and thats just not me!

Old 02-14-2011, 06:10 PM
Gibby55
Junior User
I am pretty set on keeping the efi and using a mustang harness and ecu to get it going quicker and then down the road I will build it, when I have more money.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:13 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
That year should be mass-air. That's more forgiving than SEFI, but I personally wouldn't remove anything from it. It also is the first year for OBD-II, and that's where it gets tricky. Maybe look into Cobra intakes, throttle bodies, etc... and use that to "cover" the engine with something that looks performance. My two cents.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:24 PM
lvin4jc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
Hi there pastor!
I know that everyone has there own opinion about the carb vs efi as well as other topics here and I respect everyones opinion either way.
I really agree that going with a carb would get me on the road sooner!

I guess I just alway push myself into learning more about lots of issues, if I wasn't that way I would have never thought for one minute to attempt a project like this truck. heck I would still be paying someone else to do my stuff, and thats just not me!
Hey there, sry I wasn't even paying attention to who was posting. You're right about the learning and that's the area I plan to hit next, I need to get the automotive education to back up my plans in ministry, especially the computer stuff. As far as my project i'm going carb because the truck will be street/strip and the carb is just fast cheap hp at the track vs. EFI. But for reliability and efficiency (mpg's) obviously EFI is the way to go, so you're right a lot of it is personal preference and some of it has to do with the application as well.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:41 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally Posted by Gibby55
I am pretty set on keeping the efi and using a mustang harness and ecu to get it going quicker and then down the road I will build it, when I have more money.
Start doing your homework now then...you will need to find a reputable electronics geek to reconfigure your ECU and customize it for the system that you will end up running. Document your progress, the more we know about this process the better off we all become.

Quick Reply: What can I remove from this 1996 351