Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 5.0L Coyote
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

5.0L Coyote 5.0l Ford OHC Coyote engine for 2011+

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2011, 09:24 PM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
10K mile oil change intervals

Ford Announces New Engine Options for 2011 Ford F-150

This is going around the 2009 F-150 forum right now. I just want everyone to be informed that the new engines have a 10K mile oil change interval.

It seems that most dealers are still stuck on 3K, 5K and 7.5K changes as that's been the norm in years past.

Be informed and don't waste your money or your time.

If your towing then you'll need to follow the intervals for severe duty, that goes without saying.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 02-14-2011, 05:05 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
I think with the newer oils out there and the more precise engineering you can stretch the intervals.

As you said, keep in mind the type of service you are putting the motor through. I agree.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 02-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Senior User

442w30 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Save the guess work and just send a sample to Blackstone Labs, they will provide a complete analsis of oil and longivity. $30.00 well spent IMHO
Old 02-18-2011, 05:32 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by 442w30 View Post
Save the guess work and just send a sample to Blackstone Labs, they will provide a complete analsis of oil and longivity. $30.00 well spent IMHO
Out of curiosity sir, how often would you suggest doing this?
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 02-23-2011, 07:53 PM
Posting Guru

svt2205 has a good reputation on FTE.svt2205 has a good reputation on FTE.
I would just follow what Ford is recommending, but a Blackstone test wont hurt if you're worried about the oil condition. The folks at Blackstone may suggest you try a test again after X miles. They're really helpful folks, so give it a try and talk with them about options and ideas.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Posting Guru

Ziegelsteinfaust is starting off with a positive reputation.
I used to do 7500 easy on my old truck with better filters, and royal purple.

So if the new Fords have big filters, and a decent qt capacity its not big a deal.

......................_____
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/
Old 02-26-2011, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
I used to do 7500 easy on my old truck with better filters, and royal purple.

So if the new Fords have big filters, and a decent qt capacity its not big a deal.
I don't know about filter size but the new F-150 engines all have an 8 qt sump vs the old 6 qt sump plus they have extra plumbing for oil cooling.

Once I get my new one, I'll most likely go back to using Mobil1 syn and continue with a MC filter.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 02-27-2011, 02:14 AM
Posting Guru

dmanlyr has a very good reputation on FTE.dmanlyr has a very good reputation on FTE.dmanlyr has a very good reputation on FTE.dmanlyr has a very good reputation on FTE.
FYI - 10k oil changes are nothing new.

Ford recomended a 10k oil change (with filter) in 1979 - at least on a Fairmont. I know this to be fact, I helped my sis buy one new.

That was 22 years ago and counting....

David
90 F250 7.5L E4OD, 03 F350 SD auto with the infamous diesel 6.0 for work, 70 C600 330 MT40 & 72 IH Fleetstar 6V-53 MT41 - dump trucks - both are AUTOMATICS! O2 Oldsmobile Bravada, Kubota L3200, Hustler Super Z mower, all Hydrostatics, 85 Honda Elite 250 & 150 scooter CVT - Nary a manual in the fleet!
Old 02-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Senior User

Gary Atsma is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanlyr View Post
Ford recomended a 10k oil change (with filter) in 1979 - at least on a Fairmont. I know this to be fact, I helped my sis buy one new.

That was 22 years ago and counting....
2011-1979 = 32
Ain't getting old a b---h?
Old 02-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Posting Guru

dmanlyr has a very good reputation on FTE.dmanlyr has a very good reputation on FTE.dmanlyr has a very good reputation on FTE.dmanlyr has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Atsma View Post
2011-1979 = 32

Wow - I guess I am getting old as well to make that subtraction error!

They always say the first thing to go is the mind.. lol Funny thing though, I can still picture the day that the fairmont was bought like it was yesterday...

David
90 F250 7.5L E4OD, 03 F350 SD auto with the infamous diesel 6.0 for work, 70 C600 330 MT40 & 72 IH Fleetstar 6V-53 MT41 - dump trucks - both are AUTOMATICS! O2 Oldsmobile Bravada, Kubota L3200, Hustler Super Z mower, all Hydrostatics, 85 Honda Elite 250 & 150 scooter CVT - Nary a manual in the fleet!
Old 02-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Senior User

wolf189 has a great reputation on FTE.wolf189 has a great reputation on FTE.wolf189 has a great reputation on FTE.wolf189 has a great reputation on FTE.wolf189 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Atsma View Post
2011-1979 = 32
heh... what gets me is that I looked right at that post, read the numbers, did the math, and didn't see anything wrong with it until you pointed out that slight error... so, in summary, I must agree with your premise that getting old is indeed a female dog.
'11 F150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 - 5.0L V8 - here and gone, way too quickly...
'06 F150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 - 5.4L V8 - gone...
'93 F150 XL Regular Cab 4x4 - 4.9L I6 - gone...
Old 02-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Senior User

Gary Atsma is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I always thought the mind was the second thing to go; I forget what the first was.... anyway, I just could NOT pass up the opportunity! Laughs are always best when shared. Have a good week!
Old 03-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Elder User

Joe Finn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I realize that the oil still maintains its lubricating qualities, but I've always changed my oil more frequently to remove dirt and contaminants. Is that flawed logic?
Old 03-02-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Finn View Post
I realize that the oil still maintains its lubricating qualities, but I've always changed my oil more frequently to remove dirt and contaminants. Is that flawed logic?
Your logic is not flawed. Just like everything else, lubricants and filtration have evolved over the years. The main reason why Ford made the oil change interval 10K miles is because the added 2 more quarts to the oil pan, no wit holds 8 quarts.

I think people should do what ever makes them feel comfortable, after all, it's your investment.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 03-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
When I ran MC 5w-20 in my 6.8l I got a UOA after 3k miles and 5 months 21 days in use. The TBN came back at 2.6 which was low. The oil would have never made it to 10k in good shape. IMO Ford needs an actual oil life monitoring system with an oil level sensor in the sump. There are too many people out there that don't even check their oil levels. I'd recommend getting at least one or two UOAs with TBN if you plan on pushing the OCI up to 10k miles to establish a baseline under your actual driving conditions. A UOA with TBN is over $30 and I can change oil with MC oil and filter for far less than that though.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:11 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 5.0L Coyote

Tags
150, 2008, 2011, change, engine, f150, focus, ford, guidelines, interval, intervals, navigator, oil, truck, v10