6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Snug-Top vs. LEER Toppers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:50 AM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snug-Top vs. LEER Toppers?

I will be ordering a Snug-Top or LEER Topper for my 2011 6.7L

I have always been a Snug-Top guy but am hearing that LEER is a close comparison.

ALSO... Has anyone used the TopCap EZ Lift? I saw them at the Topper Dealer and thought they were cool. Below is the web site for them but it's one of the worst web sites i have seen. No video, no photo's, only "sketches".

Definitely a "one man band" operation.

Any thoughts?

TOP/CAP EZ LIFT HOME

Old 02-13-2011, 12:07 PM
FourOneTons
Senior User
Originally Posted by Shepardsonp
I will be ordering a Snug-Top or LEER Topper for my 2011 6.7L

I have always been a Snug-Top guy but am hearing that LEER is a close comparison.
I really like my new Lear. I got the optional removable slider so the cab rear window can be cleaned with the topper on. The rear window latches on the new one are a lot better than on my previous Lear, which was a disappointment, even though it looked good on the truck.

Anyway, I'd say Lear is worth a look.

ALSO... Has anyone used the TopCap EZ Lift? I saw them at the Topper Dealer and thought they were cool....

Any thoughts?
Interesting. I've seen a lot of home-made versions. I have a forklift, so I do it the way the topper guys do it, but there's definitely something to be said for being able to store it up in the air out of the way.

Joe

Old 02-13-2011, 02:01 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
I've had a Leer 700 series hard tonneu and a Leer 180 mid-height cap. The 700 was on my old chevy 1/2 ton, I got it around 2004 and it had the old style round push-button lock. The new ones have the T-handle thingy. The 180 was on my SD that I lost about a month ago in a snowstorm. The only thing I didn't like about the 180 was the T-handle locks would freeze up in the winter. I used a torch to warm them up but that was easier said than done when its 10 degrees out with a lot of wind.

When I get another SD I am going to get another 180 I thinnk. I need the space of a big cap like that and the mid-height has more head room for camping than a cab-height, without the huge'ness of the really tall ones.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Part-Timer
Senior User
I'm in the market for a cap myself and have narrowed it down to either the Snugtop Super Sporter or the ARE Z Series. My friend has a Leer on his '11 SD and while nothing is really wrong with it, the other two brands just have features that I like better. I'm leaning towards the ARE because I like how all the hardware on the door is concealed (invisible hinges, strut mounts, etc). The dealer is also closer to me as well. I plan to get mine with the tilt-out front slider and the keyless entry options.

Brian

Old 02-13-2011, 11:21 PM
tthie66
Freshman User
I have a 2006 F350 long bed with a Leer 100XQ canopy. Although it looks great on the truck, this is the 3rd one I have had in four years. Their quality control and durability aren't the greatest. They have all been replaced under warranty. The second replacement had several stress cracks in the roof, and it took over 3 months and several factory screw-ups to get it replaced. If I were to purchase another canopy, I would probably consider the Snug Top Super Sport. Good Luck!

Old 02-14-2011, 08:53 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
ALSO... Has anyone used the TopCap EZ Lift? I saw them at the Topper Dealer and thought they were cool. Below is the web site for them but it's one of the worst web sites i have seen. No video, no photo's, only "sketches".

Definitely a "one man band" operation.

Any thoughts?

TOP/CAP EZ LIFT HOME
I've been using one for about 4 years now. Tremendous product, high quality materials, easy installation. My 8' cap from my 2000 F250 has been suspended by it for about a year now and hasn't moved (which is another story, need to get rid of it and get a new one for the '11).

Anyways, it's a great product, and FWIW, I have no affiliation with them, just a satisfied customer.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:22 AM
GlennK
Freshman User
I'm on my 3rd Leer 100XQ ... and I'm a fan:

likes: skirted sides to cover any top rail trim, good fit behind the cab, full panel side windows that crank open leaving the bottom open so you can travel in wet weather and no water gets in, hidden hinges, and no trim on the lower edges to catch dirt .. and I do recommend the drop down front window for cleaning, and the fold-away garment hangers are nice also.

dislikes: my only issue here is with the back window .. for a nice tight fit, and it's a big piece of frameless glass, I have to push on both corners to secure the latches instead of slam the window shut ..... not a big deal; it will latch if you adjust the window slightly looser, but I'm afraid to slam it shut when adjusted for a tight fit

always have had a good color match, good finish, and no probs after 3

Last edited by GlennK; 02-14-2011 at 09:28 AM. Reason: typo