1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Removing headliner trim

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 08:45 AM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Removing headliner trim

So I got all new (JY) interior panels to go in my truck, but I'm not sure of the CORRECT way to remove the headliner trim. Specifically, the metal headliner trim over the doors.

I want to remove all the pillars, kick panels, and headliner trims for paint, so that everything will match when I put them back in. Thing is, the headliner trim pieces are on plastic clips, and I'm not sure the correct way to get them off. When I was at the jy getting the rear pillars off the donor , I just kinda "manhandled" the headliner trim. I was in a hurry.

So, how do I get the ones off in my truck without bending them, or damaging the headliner?

This is an example of the panels I got at the jy.

<div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs><div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs>

Old 02-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Harfend
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used a thin plastic stick as a wedge to gently pry off the trim. It will pop off cleanly and re-install with out a problem.
Good Luck,
HARFEND

Old 02-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Harfend
I used a thin plastic stick as a wedge to gently pry off the trim. It will pop off cleanly and re-install with out a problem.
Good Luck,
HARFEND
Do you pry them from the door jam side, or from the headliner side?

<div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs>

Old 02-11-2011, 12:21 PM
CamoLaw
Senior User
I dont have a headliner so I my answer may not be applicable. But I've found that it helps to be gentle and work it from either side (I think the headliner side may be more effective). Either way, once you get one, carefully pull the panel away from the cab interior until you discover where the next metal spring-clip is located. Do that for each one. Those clips are usually in there pretty tight so you once you locate the clips, you'll usually have to pry it kinda hard to get it to pop out.

But like Harfend said, they re-install pretty easily.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:00 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Anafiel
So I got all new (JY) interior panels to go in my truck, but I'm not sure of the CORRECT way to remove the headliner trim. Specifically, the metal headliner trim over the doors.

I want to remove all the pillars, kick panels, and headliner trims for paint, so that everything will match when I put them back in. Thing is, the headliner trim pieces are on plastic clips, and I'm not sure the correct way to get them off. When I was at the jy getting the rear pillars off the donor , I just kinda "manhandled" the headliner trim. I was in a hurry.

So, how do I get the ones off in my truck without bending them, or damaging the headliner?

This is an example of the panels I got at the jy.

<DIV_PREFS id=div_prefs></DIV_PREFS><DIV_PREFS id=div_prefs></DIV_PREFS>

Ford done it right. As far as I can recall the front top, both sides top, rear top, and rear bottom trim are metal with metal spring deals. After doing my Dodge with plastic fasteners and having it bust I was tired of that business so I was scared it was gonna happen again. Sure enough it worked great.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:01 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Do you pry them from the door jam side, or from the headliner side?

<DIV_PREFS id=div_prefs></DIV_PREFS>
A combination but go slow. I used one screw driver on the north south side (when I could) and one east and west and just took it slow and they popped right off.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:54 PM
guindian28
Senior User
here is a good post about the trim removal
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ield-trim.html

Old 02-11-2011, 04:05 PM
lgwilson
Senior User
You are talking about the ones that are a little less than a foot long directly over the driver and passenger doors? If so, when I took mine off I simply pried them off with my fingers. I pried them from the bottom up and they popped right off.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by lgwilson
You are talking about the ones that are a little less than a foot long directly over the driver and passenger doors? If so, when I took mine off I simply pried them off with my fingers. I pried them from the bottom up and they popped right off.
Yup, that's the one. I'll try that tomorrow.

guindian28, thanks for the link. I always enjoy reading ems threads. Gotta respect "A Girl with a Truck"!

I'll let you all know how it goes. Supposed to be a beautiful weekend with very mild weather.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:35 PM
lgwilson
Senior User
Yup, that's the one. I'll try that tomorrow.
I'll let you all know how it goes. Supposed to be a beautiful weekend with very mild weather.
I just sat in the seat next to them and turned facing the trim pieces and worked my finger tips underneath the edge and just slowly pried it off. It'll feel like you are pulling pretty hard because those trim pieces are anchored in there by some long metal tabs. The metal trim along the tops of the front and back glass come off in the same way and use the same securing tabs.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Yup, just like you guys said. Slipped my fingers under the bottom of the trim, and pulled steady. Popped right off.

I'm using the Krylon Fusion Blue, it's close to the rest of my interior, but not perfect. It's just a hair darker, so what I'm gonna do is paint all the trim panels...the trim around the headliner, back and front posts, kick panels, and seat hinge covers. That will frame in the whole interior, leaving just the dash and door panels. As the dash and doors are in great shape, I think the framing will look "tuff e'nuff".

I'll post some before pics in just a little while, to show you what I was dealing with.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:20 PM
lgwilson
Senior User
Yup, just like you guys said. Slipped my fingers under the bottom of the trim, and pulled steady. Popped right off.

I'm using the Krylon Fusion Blue, it's close to the rest of my interior, but not perfect. It's just a hair darker, so what I'm gonna do is paint all the trim panels...the trim around the headliner, back and front posts, kick panels, and seat hinge covers. That will frame in the whole interior, leaving just the dash and door panels. As the dash and doors are in great shape, I think the framing will look "tuff e'nuff".

I'll post some before pics in just a little while, to show you what I was dealing with.
Glad you got it. I'll be watching for the pictures.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
This is what prompted me to find new posts. I ran out of paint, so I won't be able to do the "after" pics until sometime later this week.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:05 AM
lgwilson
Senior User
This is what prompted me to find new posts. I ran out of paint, so I won't be able to do the "after" pics until sometime later this week.

I see what you mean!

Old 02-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Got everything painted except the front post panels, and there I ran into a problem. Removed the dash pad so that I could get to the lower screw, removed it and the top screw, but the dang thing will NOT come off.

I approached it like the other panels that were on clips, as it was acting like there were clips behind it, but pulling with all I could (safely) muster, they will not budge. I mean, I could of pulled harder, but it just seems like any more pressure, the plastic would give. I am scared silly I'm gonna break this thing.

Out of frustration, I ended up masking off the driver's side pillar, and painted it that way. In the long run though, that doesn't solve my issue with it. At some point I'm gonna replace my door rubber, and it'll HAVE to come off for that.

So how the hell do I get the dang things off??? I still have to get the passenger side painted....

HELP!!

Quick Reply: Removing headliner trim