Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Uhaul IP mileage update

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:02 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uhaul IP mileage update

Well its all good news here! hahaha. So in the past few tanks prior to swapping the IP i got from uhaul i was averaging 12-13mpg. Now in the morning and afternoon i have exactly a 33 mile trip so if i only go to work and back its 66 miles. On a full 16 gallons in my front tank i could get about 195 miles out of it. that is at 12.18mpg. So the other day to ensure all fairness is in this, i got a 5 gallon tank and filled it with diesel, drained my tanks using the intank pumps, unhooked the line and turned the key on, those things can empty a tank in no time flat haha. So i drained it completely, put 5 gallons in and went off for a drive(had a full two gallons because i had the intent of running it till it sputtered. Did average city driving and some 20 or so mile lengths on the highway, kept it closed up on 60 mph while on the highway(yes i have a C6). With this new pump i drove the truck all around and wound up getting amlost 90 miles out of it, From my GPS and google maps, it was 88.35 miles till it sputtered. Thats 17.67mpg. Now i used a percentage calulator becauce i wanted to check my math, 45% increase. Took my breath away. I can not tell you how much this pump will save you if you have an old pump that is causing issues or similar. Get that swap done fellas. If you were here id do it for nerarly free just to see if anyone got similar results. When you guys get your swaps done, post up!!

Old 02-09-2011, 09:26 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
Man oh man, I need to do my swap then. I'm getting maybe 12 mpg right now, closer to 10 if I have to run it in 4WD (of course that's on winter fuel).

I just don't know if I have enough time that I could take my truck off the road to do such a job....plus it's too freakin cold right now and I can't get my truck inside my garage

You said you just timed yours by ear correct?

Maybe sometime soon I'll have to set aside a weekend to do that, and tell the gf it's gotta get done!

Old 02-09-2011, 11:28 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
very impressive first tank results there wreck.keep them fuel economy tests coming.almost half again the fuel economy kinda makes ya sick knowing you could have saved so much already.but main thing is,it's tuned up now! nothing beats a freshly tuned engine.
tune first.
do mods for increases after hey.
im so exited about this big U-haul blow out sale.i knew people would be all over this as soon as Dave S brought it to our attention.
i suspect there's going to many,many people perhaps for the first time even since ownership,who gets to experience the "real" performance of the classic IDI diesel now.
its nice to see IP's priced much closer to reasonable.that $350+ business just makes it hard for so many with old trucks ya know.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:31 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
If i had to do it again for whatever reason, i am confident i could get it done in two hours. Thats saying everything goes smooth and nothing breaks! lol. Yes currently mine is timed by ear still, the ford tech is still out(7.3 specific guy). Ill keep each tank posted especially when it gets the turbo on and timed correctly.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:46 AM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, I REALLY need to replace mine, I should boost higher than 11psi with a new one too.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:34 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
its nice to see IP's priced much closer to reasonable.that $350+ business just makes it hard for so many with old trucks ya know.
Amen to that- my truck has been needing this R&R but I've been putting it off because I was looking at $200 for a set of injectors and $300 or more for a good IP.

I got everything to do this job, plus a set of glow plugs and a tach sensor, for $302. Just can't beat it.

Once the temps get above "bone chilling" I would like to try to get this done.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:40 PM
whenry912
Senior User
Originally Posted by ghunt

Once the temps get above "bone chilling" I would like to try to get this done.
Yep same here, will have my pop tester done, so I will balance my injectors and put my new U-Haul pump in, hope she runs as good as Wreckingballs! I get 14.5 mpg, so if I see the same increase I will be getting over 20!

Now on to tracking down this pesky antifreeze leak...

Old 02-09-2011, 06:59 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Wow! Thats great news that makes me happy. At almost 202,000 miles, I know my pump and injectors need replacing. I'm glad I jumped in to the sale when I did. Getting 13-14 MPG now with this crappy winter fuel, can't wait until summer blend comes back!

My Uhaul pump and injectors finally showed up today, and they are all shiny and pretty! just won't match the rest of the truck... Unfortunately, like several others, its too damn cold to deal with swapping them right now. Good news is that I saved enough on the pump and injectors, that I convinced myself I could afford a timing meter too. I lucked out and found a nice looking snap-on unit for about $200 last week and can't wait until that shows up too!

Old 02-09-2011, 07:55 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
nice.what did ya get for a meter.the MT480 or 1480? everything required with it?
i finally just broke down and bought another meter to make two into one working lmao! least i scored the second with no lumy probes which was cheap.i just hope to god the crank sensor works.kinda cool to have a back up meter too i guess.
he mailed it right out too and should be here Friday.gotta love craigslist.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:36 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
You where I'm going if you get that thing working XLT.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
Lookin forward to this spring... truck comes off the raod, into the garage and all the goodies get thrown on. All said and told pry take about 2 weeks working on it in the evenings after work with all that needs done. I am ok with that especially if i get good fuel numbers out of it like wreck!

oh yeah my ip showd up today! only 3 days after i ordered it... those guys are alright in my book

Old 02-09-2011, 09:46 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
You got the 94 E350 pump? How is it?

Old 02-09-2011, 10:48 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
someone asked me about the 93-95 pumps, they are on ebay, on the uhaul truck parts store, click on the ford sort option, not the diesel option. hope that helps.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:02 AM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Oh thanks, I was asking coal acctually cause he said he just got his in, I probably should have quoted him But ebay still sells the pumps you got?

Old 02-10-2011, 11:54 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tecgod13
Wow! Thats great news that makes me happy. At almost 202,000 miles, I know my pump and injectors need replacing. I'm glad I jumped in to the sale when I did. Getting 13-14 MPG now with this crappy winter fuel, can't wait until summer blend comes back!
Geez what are you complaining about...that's better than I'm getting with 90,000 fewer miles

Quick Reply: Uhaul IP mileage update