Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks, please delete

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 08:25 PM
DieselFordLoversWife
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, please delete

Does anyone know if they come in multiple sizes?
We have a 96 F250 Extra Cab. The rear bench seat is only 11" deep if I remember correctly (It might be 14").
We have our second baby on the way and need to be able to fit a carseat (preferably 2) in the back seat, but the bench is not deep enough to safely buckle one in. (The other issue is that my Husband is very tall and keeps his seat back all the way to drive, so we are buying bucket seats for the front so he can keep his seat back.)

**And if anyone in Oregon is selling a pair of Bucket Seats for the front, and a bigger bench for the back, I would LOVE to buy them!**

Thank you for your help.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:31 PM
93f250tn
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DieselFordLoversWife
Does anyone know if they come in multiple sizes?
We have a 96 F250 Extra Cab. The rear bench seat is only 11" deep if I remember correctly (It might be 14").
We have our second baby on the way and need to be able to fit a carseat (preferably 2) in the back seat, but the bench is not deep enough to safely buckle one in. (The other issue is that my Husband is very tall and keeps his seat back all the way to drive, so we are buying bucket seats for the front so he can keep his seat back.)

**And if anyone in Oregon is selling a pair of Bucket Seats for the front, and a bigger bench for the back, I would LOVE to buy them!**

Thank you for your help.
I dont believe they do... the only thing i can think of to solve that problem would be to make a custom seat. Shouldnt be to expensive but theres not a ton of room back there so you might be able to fit one 3"-4" deeper then the stock one. Or another idea which might work is to kinda of make a bench that would fit in the space from the seats to the bench out of wood and cover it in some carpet so it dosent look to bad should work fairly well and cheap Heres a pic to kinda give you an idea...

Old 02-05-2011, 09:37 PM
DieselFordLoversWife
New User
Thanks, is that a 150 though? they have less space than a 250. I understand the theory behind creating a bench out of wood, but that wouldn't be safe for installing car seats in.

I'm really kicking myself for not buying a 4 door. (Kinda late now, just paid the truck off)

Old 02-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Ed Bamba
More Turbo
I feel your pain. I had to deal with the same situation with just one car seat. It was our only vehicle that transported me, the wife, our pre-teen daughter and the car seat for the baby. Just had to make do with the situation. Good thing I had buckets seats installed; the car seat was placed in the middle of the rear bench seat where there was enough opening between them for the car seat to clear. Another advantage I had over your situation; I'm 5'8", so no need to slide the seat all the way back.

You may have to find a car seat with a base that will fit the bench seat and place the other behind the front passenger seat; seat moved up enough to provide clearance for the other car seat.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that all F-Series Supercabs are the same size regardless of weight-carrying capacity (for that year group at least).

Old 02-05-2011, 10:59 PM
DieselFordLoversWife
New User
Thanks Ed, I'm hoping that will work, to just get bucket seats up front and put the infant seat in the middle back, toddler seat in the back on the passenger side. My husband is 6'5" and our truck is a manual.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:22 PM
Gregallen
Junior User
I agree the bucket seat will work if u put the sfety seat in the middle. My wife dose this as its her winter car and when I drive it works. I am 6,3 and the truck is stick shift as well. You can find a cheap set of buckets just gotta find ones that came frome the similar truck

Old 02-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Ed Bamba
More Turbo
One other thing, the foam of the bench will not hold up to continuos pressure from the base of the car seat. It'll start to compress to the point that the seat will tend to sit loped sided. I countered it by placing a piece of plywood between the two, larger than the base, to spread the load. Just make sure that the seat doesn't slide around too much.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselFordLoversWife
Thanks, is that a 150 though? they have less space than a 250. I understand the theory behind creating a bench out of wood, but that wouldn't be safe for installing car seats in.

I'm really kicking myself for not buying a 4 door. (Kinda late now, just paid the truck off)
F150-f350 all have the same cab so it does not matter. All the supercab rear seats are the same

Here is a thought.

You get in the back and put the car seat in the front

Old 02-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Ed Bamba
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
F150-f350 all have the same cab so it does not matter. All the supercab rear seats are the same

Here is a thought.

That's another way around the situation. But if you're anywhere over 5' tall (or short, depending on your perspective), it'll be an uncomfortable ride during long hauls; even more so for those with longer legs than torsos.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:33 PM
DieselFordLoversWife
New User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad

Here is a thought.

The point is there are two car seats, and w/ 2 benches, you can fit ZERO car seats in the back. With a stick shift, you can't put a car seat in the front center set. make sense? and like someone else pointed out, the back is tiny when the driver is tall and have the front seat all the way back.