6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Truck won't start, but wants to.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 04:27 PM
buckweet1980
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck won't start, but wants to.

Having an issue with my 6.0 not starting.. I replaced a driver side injector and also did the FICM repair the other day. After replacing the injector and doing the FICM repair I got it fired up a few times, but it would only stay running for about 30 seconds.. I figured that the FICM was shot as I was getting some weird codes about the PCM losing communication with the FICM, etc.. I purchased a remanufactured FICM thinking that was the issue. I just got it installed along with fresh batteries and tried to crank it. I get newer stronger injector sounds buzz / clicks when turning the key on, so either the FICM is putting out more voltage or it has something to do with a newer flash on the FICM.. Upon trying to start the truck it will crank strongly and starts to fire but never fully does so. Almost like a flooded engine, it just sputters for a split second and nothing else happens.

The batteries are charging yet again as I exhausted them trying to get the engine started.. I'm out of ideas. This has to be electrical related as I said before the engine would run but died after 30 seconds. If it were HPOP related it would never fired to begin with I'm thinking..

Wiring harness issue? I haven't tested the remanufacturered FICM yet either, nor scaned codes as the batteries died again.. I will scan for codes tomorrow. I haven't checked fuel pressure, but don't understand why that would be it as it worked fine before I replaced the injector.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Old 02-04-2011, 04:34 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
I suspect that it has to do with your injector installation rather than your FICM. Check the fuel bowl for bubbles while cranking (remember to disable the fuel pump and FICM) and a HPO leak by air testing. The other thing you might look at is the injector harness and it's ground. It would also help if you'd post the specific codes you are or were getting.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
also check your ficm harness to see if you may not have it fully engauged or a bent pin

Old 02-04-2011, 09:12 PM
buckweet1980
Senior User
I don't believe its in the injector.. Keep in mind that it ran before.. It only now won't fire at all after replacing the FICM.. I know this have to be electrical related.. This isn't the first time I've replaced injectors on this thing, I did no different than before.. No issues until now.

I will scan codes tomorrow morning and post back..

Frustrated....

Old 02-05-2011, 08:18 AM
buckweet1980
Senior User
Pulled these codes this morning..

p2617 crankshaft position output circuit / open
p2614 camshaft position output circuit / open

I have the autoenginuity tool and did the injector buzz test, everything tested okay. I also monitored ICP pressure, ficm voltage, etc... Everything seemed okay.

I assume these two codes below could cause a no-start.. I'd say I have some wiring issues going on. I only touched the driver side and these sensors are in the middle or passenger side I believe? I did unplug the main wiring and laid it back over on to the engine. That could have cause it.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:41 AM
buckweet1980
Senior User
"No Start or Constant Engine Misfire:
There are several things that can cause this symptom, including a failed FICM (fuel injector control module). In cases where the FICM is at fault the condition should be present at all engine temperatures, and codes P0611 or U0105 may be set. If codes P2614 or P2617 are stored the cause is more likely to be a wiring chaffing issue. The harness will need to be pushed and pulled to determine if the harness is shorting out. WDS should be used to verify the injectors can be commanded on (injector buzz test) and that the FICM is powering up (datalogger PIDS FICM_VPWR: ignition power; FICM_LPWR: FICM logic power from relay; FICM_MPWR: FICM output power to injectors--47-50 volts). If an injector does not click during the buzz test, a test light can be installed between the injector connector terminals 1 and 2 and checked for illumination when re-running the test.
TSB 04-18-"

Sounds like my symptoms.. does anyone know if the crankshaft sensor connects to the FICM or does it run through the main PCM cable going to the fendor?

I got the crankshaft sensor code before even trying to start the truck.. The camshaft one came up after a no-start.. I've read that these codes can be triggered after a no-start/stall..

Bummer.. I bought a new FICM and probably didn't need to..

Old 02-05-2011, 10:27 AM
buckweet1980
Senior User
Well I figured it out.. It was one of the side plugs for the main wiring harness.. One of the ones that plugs in under the ABS module, not the main PCM... Plugged that in and she fired right up.. Purring like a kitten..

I think the FICM was shot anyways, its running much better than it ever has..

Now the air vents aren't working right, lol.. I have the auto-temp system, so I have to troubleshoot the air pump. At least she runs now!!!

Old 02-05-2011, 11:10 AM
buckweet1980
Senior User
Now to add to my story.. Truck was running perfectly, then I shut the engine down to troubleshoot the a/c thing.. Got that figured out, turns out its the 4x4 auto-shift thing causing the leak, so I bypassed that for now..

Started the truck back up and got the same injector #8 contribution error as I did before all of this mess.. The only thing that hasn't been replaced is the wiring harness.. I shut the engine down and restarted a few times and the issue hasn't come back since that first time.. Buzz test passes no problem..

Very weird..