1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need step by step instructions for truck revival

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 10:35 PM
victoryvan
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need step by step instructions for truck revival

Got a 99 super duty that’s been sitting in a field for 5 years. I need step by step instructions on how to prepare to start it and get it running again. Here is my thought process, please edit as you see fit:

Check oil - done. Is full and looks fairly clean.

Clean out radiator with garden hose- run until water is clear, fill radiator.

Replace thermostat

Replace fan clutch

Put 10 gallons of fuel in with seafoam (tank is empty)

New battery

New spark plugs

Pour a capful or marvel mystery oil down each spark plug hole

Attempt to start

Thoughts?

Old 09-05-2020, 01:02 AM
Hartwig
Cargo Master
Received 1,020 Likes on 518 Posts
These are not 50 years, don't worry. Check out what you mentioned and crank 3 times for ~7 seconds directly at the starter (key off) to built up base oil pressure.

"Pour a capful or marvel mystery oil down each spark plug hole"
This is too much if you reinstall the spark plugs again. Let the engine crank without spark plugs. Reinstall it, and let her fire up.

Old 09-05-2020, 08:05 AM
victoryvan
Mountain Pass
Thanks! How do I crank directly at the starter (key off)?

Also, should I still do the marvel oil with the spark plugs out?

Old 09-05-2020, 08:05 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Change oil and filter before you even turn it over, fill filter with oil before installing it.

Denny

Old 09-05-2020, 08:11 AM
victoryvan
Mountain Pass
Ok, although the oll actually looks pretty decent ...?

Old 09-05-2020, 08:41 AM
redrivergorge
Senior User
Originally Posted by victoryvan
Yes condensation forms in the crankcase with changes in temperature there is more than likely a lot of water in there after 5 years without the engine ever getting hot and burning it off.

Old 09-05-2020, 08:45 AM
rvpuller
It's been sitting in setting in the filter and pan for 5 years collecting mosture and picking up contaminates, oils cheap when compared to damage contaminates can cause.

Denny

Old 09-05-2020, 03:04 PM
Hartwig
Cargo Master
Received 1,020 Likes on 518 Posts
Thanks! How do I crank directly at the starter (key off)?
The small wire at the starter is "signal" from your ignition switch. Power it from battery positiv (thick wire at the starter). Trans in Park/Neutral!

Old 09-05-2020, 07:10 PM
victoryvan
Mountain Pass
I don’t see how I can run water through the radiator and the engine when the engine is not running? It seems like I should be running the garden hose through the main radiator cap hole? At least until I can get it started?

Old 09-06-2020, 07:38 AM
rvpuller
I don’t see how I can run water through the radiator and the engine when the engine is not running? It seems like I should be running the garden hose through the main radiator cap hole? At least until I can get it started?
If you are just trying toget it started don't worry about the coolant until you get it to start, after you know it will start and run then do the coolant. But if has no antifreeze in it where did it go? Was it drained or did it leak out? And the biggest question is why was it parked to begin with? If it was me I would pull the belt, change the oil, look at the plugs, fresh gas and maybe a little oil in the cylinders and try to get it to run and then worry about everything else, if it won't run everything else is a waste of time.

Denny

Old 09-06-2020, 08:32 AM
victoryvan
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by rvpuller
If you are just trying toget it started don't worry about the coolant until you get it to start, after you know it will start and run then do the coolant. But if has no antifreeze in it where did it go? Was it drained or did it leak out? And the biggest question is why was it parked to begin with? If it was me I would pull the belt, change the oil, look at the plugs, fresh gas and maybe a little oil in the cylinders and try to get it to run and then worry about everything else, if it won't run everything else is a waste of time.

Denny
I see what you mean. Previous owner told me it was overheating and had low oil pressure (according to dummy gauge I’m assuming). He said he pulled manifold (intake or exhaust I have no idea) and saw some sludge, so he decided it was gonna be too hard to fix and abandoned. So, coolant gone due to overheating and sitting for five years i’m assuming. Does that change the way you would approach? Someone told me I should change oil, but fill with half oil and have diesel fuel and allow it to run for a bit to clear out sludge. Does that sound right ? Or would a bottle of seafoam with oil have the same effect?

Old 09-06-2020, 10:09 AM
rvpuller
I see what you mean. Previous owner told me it was overheating and had low oil pressure (according to dummy gauge I’m assuming). He said he pulled manifold (intake or exhaust I have no idea) and saw some sludge, so he decided it was gonna be too hard to fix and abandoned. So, coolant gone due to overheating and sitting for five years i’m assuming. Does that change the way you would approach? Someone told me I should change oil, but fill with half oil and have diesel fuel and allow it to run for a bit to clear out sludge. Does that sound right ? Or would a bottle of seafoam with oil have the same effect?
What I would do is like I said earlier is fresh oil nothing else pull the belt and see if it will start, I'm assuming he pulled the intake so make sure the gasket was replaced and everything is back in place. I'm really wondering if the overheating wasn't from a blown heat gasket pushing compression into the cooling system but until it's running or a compression test it will be hard to tell. I would want it running before a compression test to get everything seated back in after sitting. Then put water in it with the belt back on and see what you have if you get it to run. Now if it runs and it doesn't look like it's pushing compression into the cooling system (you can tell because it will push water out the cap) get it good and warm and remove the oil fill cap and powerbrake it and see if oil vapor comes out the fill hole, if it does you are getting compression past the rings that's a little thing called blow by. If it has blow by look for a different motor or rebuild the one you have. Even if you have a bad head gasket still check it for excessive blow by before you put any money into it.

Denny

Old 09-06-2020, 12:00 PM
victoryvan
Mountain Pass
Excellent information I really appreciate it. I do have two belts. Which belt you talking about?
Also what is the purpose of taking off the belt?
And are you saying you would try to start it without any coolant in the radiator?

Old 09-06-2020, 12:51 PM
rvpuller
What motor are we talking about?

Without the belts all you will hear is the motor and nothing else plus you won't be turning over the dry water pump. The motor can run for a few minutes without any coolant without any problems. I'm trying to have you get it started with the least amount of $ so if it dosen't work out you will be out less $ but if it does work you can just continue hooking things up and spending more money.

Denny

Old 09-06-2020, 02:51 PM
victoryvan
Mountain Pass
I see. This makes perfect sense. Thank you so much for this approach. I will try it and report back

Quick Reply: Need step by step instructions for truck revival