1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Factory amp bypass

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Ford Strokin' 96
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
OK, I feel like a complete dummy... I'll have to look at my other harness when I get home, but the one currently wired to my Kenwood head unit has 2 different plugs on each harness. I'm betting I can switch which one I was using for the speakers to match the factory wiring in my 97. This is what I get for trying to put the CD player in after a long day in the heat and being frustrated...
I'll look at it again when I get home and post up tomorrow if it works.
The Kenwood was in a Ford previously, right? If so, it should already have the aftermarket harness adapter I'm talking about. (The Wal-Mart one) They made those adapters to accomodate a wide year span so there's like 4 plugs on the adapter to fit many different year models. I used mine out of a Ford vehicle that had a completely different harness setup from the dash and threw it right in my 96 F250. Just used the optional plugs on the aftermarket harness. But if you are going from a 97 to a 99 like I think you are, it should have the correct harness. Unless its been cut and modified.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:59 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford Strokin' 96
The Kenwood was in a Ford previously, right? If so, it should already have the aftermarket harness adapter I'm talking about. (The Wal-Mart one) They made those adapters to accomodate a wide year span so there's like 4 plugs on the adapter to fit many different year models. I used mine out of a Ford vehicle that had a completely different harness setup from the dash and threw it right in my 96 F250. Just used the optional plugs on the aftermarket harness. But if you are going from a 97 to a 99 like I think you are, it should have the correct harness. Unless its been cut and modified.
Correct. There is a rectangular plug and a square plug on the truck side of each adapter harness that is currently wired to the plug for my Kenwood head unit. All I need to do is make sure I connect the blue wire for the amp and use the square plug on the speaker harness and I'm betting I'll be set.
The head unit and adapter harness I have right now have been through 3 OBS trucks and a Tempo (and a Super Duty but I had to buy a different adapter for that truck), I've had it quite a while

Old 07-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Ford Strokin' 96
Junior User
Correct. There is a rectangular plug and a square plug on the truck side of each adapter harness that is currently wired to the plug for my Kenwood head unit. All I need to do is make sure I connect the blue wire for the amp and use the square plug on the speaker harness and I'm betting I'll be set.
The head unit and adapter harness I have right now have been through 3 OBS trucks and a Tempo (and a Super Duty but I had to buy a different adapter for that truck), I've had it quite a while
Yep!!! And I'm betting that if this Kenwood was already wired into a Ford with factory CD, then it probably had premium sound which means you had a factory power AMP. So..............If everything worked with the Kenwood in the last Ford, the harness should be wired on correctly and it should tell your power amp, "Hey, turn on!" You'll know right when you look at it. Blue wire from head unit connected to blue wire on harness. Might be blue with a white stripe too. Some have two blues. One is for the telescoping power antenas. But anyhow, with all that said, I'm betting you already have what ya need. Just a matter of plugging those plugs up. There might be a plastic flat insert inside the plug ends on the aftermarket harness to protect the pins if you've never used those plugs.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:38 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Yep!!! And I'm betting that if this Kenwood was already wired into a Ford with factory CD, then it probably had premium sound which means you had a factory power AMP. So..............If everything worked with the Kenwood in the last Ford, the harness should be wired on correctly and it should tell your power amp, "Hey, turn on!" You'll know right when you look at it. Blue wire from head unit connected to blue wire on harness. Might be blue with a white stripe too. Some have two blues. One is for the telescoping power antenas. But anyhow, with all that said, I'm betting you already have what ya need. Just a matter of plugging those plugs up. There might be a plastic flat insert inside the plug ends on the aftermarket harness to protect the pins if you've never used those plugs.
This head unit has never been in a truck with a factory CD player, but it will be tonight hopefully. Yep, little plastic covers inside the plugs for sure. I know because I had to pop one out when I pulled the switched 12v and ground wires out of that plug to provide power to my Sirius tuner.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Ford Strokin' 96
Junior User
This head unit has never been in a truck with a factory CD player, but it will be tonight hopefully. Yep, little plastic covers inside the plugs for sure. I know because I had to pop one out when I pulled the switched 12v and ground wires out of that plug to provide power to my Sirius tuner.
There ya go. Sounds like everything will be fine. If not, a quick trip to Wally World and about 15 bucks and you'll be in business!! Yup, those Ford aftermarket harnesses usually had two options for speaker harness plugs and two options for power harness plugs. Did your Sirus Tuner power down when you turned the truck off?? Just curious. Might be on to something else here. Lol.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:23 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
There ya go. Sounds like everything will be fine. If not, a quick trip to Wally World and about 15 bucks and you'll be in business!! Yup, those Ford aftermarket harnesses usually had two options for speaker harness plugs and two options for power harness plugs. Did your Sirus Tuner power down when you turned the truck off?? Just curious. Might be on to something else here. Lol.
Yes, which is why I have it wired the way I do. It comes on and off with the key like the stock radio. I hate having wires all over the dash so the power wire is tucked in behind the dash and tied into the radio wiring, and the antenna wire runs above the drivers side doors and over to the third brake light where it pops out.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Ford Strokin' 96
Junior User
Yes, which is why I have it wired the way I do. It comes on and off with the key like the stock radio. I hate having wires all over the dash so the power wire is tucked in behind the dash and tied into the radio wiring, and the antenna wire runs above the drivers side doors and over to the third brake light where it pops out.
Yes!!!!! I agree!! I can't stand the rat nest either. Ahhhh.....you have a switched 12v. Missed that in your post. Ya know I had a XM receiver installed once (only because it was free at the store I purchased from) I won't mention any initials but BEST BUY! Anyhow, I had time and it was a free install with the purchase so I figured, why not? Well I soon realized "why not"!!!!! Dash was jacked up, exposed wires, he used a vent clip mount, and he told me, "Your gonna have to turn the unit off each time you turn your truck off cause there is no way for me to make it turn off." (In the most stoned voice ever) Where do they hire these people sometimes? No offense to anyone working at Best Buy. As long as you take a little pride in your work. Anyway, I didn't say much because it was "free" but I took it home and ripped it all out and started over.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:53 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Yes!!!!! I agree!! I can't stand the rat nest either. Ahhhh.....you have a switched 12v. Missed that in your post. Ya know I had a XM receiver installed once (only because it was free at the store I purchased from) I won't mention any initials but BEST BUY! Anyhow, I had time and it was a free install with the purchase so I figured, why not? Well I soon realized "why not"!!!!! Dash was jacked up, exposed wires, he used a vent clip mount, and he told me, "Your gonna have to turn the unit off each time you turn your truck off cause there is no way for me to make it turn off." (In the most stoned voice ever) Where do they hire these people sometimes? No offense to anyone working at Best Buy. As long as you take a little pride in your work. Anyway, I didn't say much because it was "free" but I took it home and ripped it all out and started over.
I like having it on switched 12v, I didn't want to have to turn it off all the time either. I know it takes a long time for the Sirius unit to draw a battery down, but I think it makes it more factory-ish having it come on and off with the key. As you well know having it constant hot it just a matter of grabbing a different wire.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Ford Strokin' 96
Junior User
I like having it on switched 12v, I didn't want to have to turn it off all the time either. I know it takes a long time for the Sirius unit to draw a battery down, but I think it makes it more factory-ish having it come on and off with the key. As you well know having it constant hot it just a matter of grabbing a different wire.
Yup. Used to call those the "memory" wire back in the day. Used to have an amp way back when that had a remote wire in a bad spot. The remote wire would always work itself loose and without knowing my brother and I would get home, park the truck, get out and come out to a dead battery the next morning since the constant/hot wire fed the amp till the battery drained. Lol, now most of em (especially factory devices) won't power at all without the remote. Hence, my truck and your truck not spitting out any sound without the remote wire to factory amp. Anyway, we finally got tired of jumping the battery plus the butt chewing from Daddy when he finally had to buy a new battery, so we re-mounted the damn amp to put the remote wire in a less stressed position.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Ford Strokin' 96
Junior User
OK, I feel like a complete dummy... I'll have to look at my other harness when I get home, but the one currently wired to my Kenwood head unit has 2 different plugs on each harness. I'm betting I can switch which one I was using for the speakers to match the factory wiring in my 97. This is what I get for trying to put the CD player in after a long day in the heat and being frustrated...
I'll look at it again when I get home and post up tomorrow if it works.
Are you jammin' today???

Old 07-07-2011, 09:04 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Are you jammin' today???
Negative, I got home and looked at it and the plug on the speaker harness wired to my Kenwood head unit isn't the right one, I'll swing by Walmart next week and grab the right one and be in business.