6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Flasher Location

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:00 AM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Flasher Location

I've looked behind the steering wheel and could not find the Flasher for the turn signals.

When I turn on the right or left signal, they will blink really fast. NO bulbs are out. But when I turn the hazards on, the signals blink at normal speed. I think its the flasher, but I can't find it. Help.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:15 PM
rdenis
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no physical flasher anymore - it all controlled by software now. The BCM sends controls the rate an internal transistor turns on and off.

Its the BCM - I'll check the programming on mine and see if I can replicate what is happening in yours. There is a programmable parameter for it so I'll let you know what I find.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:20 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by rdenis
There is no physical flasher anymore - it all controlled by software now. The BCM sends controls the rate an internal transistor turns on and off.

Its the BCM - I'll check the programming on mine and see if I can replicate what is happening in yours. There is a programmable parameter for it so I'll let you know what I find.
Figures its the BCM. Let me know, I want to swing by the dealer and have that sack of crap fix it today.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:21 PM
rdenis
Tuned
Here are my settings for incandescent bulbs - as you can see, bulb outage controls are on for both Front and Taillamps:

Tell the dealer to try changing the programmable parameters for the Front Turn Lamp Outage and Stop and Taillamp Outage COnfiguration in exterior lighting controls menu. If you have incandecent bulbs and changing the parameters to "off" works, then you have another issue with the BCM.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:27 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Here are my settings for incandescent bulbs - as you can see, bulb outage controls are on for both Front and Taillamps:

Tell the dealer to try changing the programmable parameters for the Front Turn Lamp Outage and Stop and Taillamp Outage COnfiguration in exterior lighting controls menu. If you have incandecent bulbs and changing the parameters to "off" works, then you have another issue with the BCM.
So the correct position should be on? But if he turns it to off, and then the lgihts still blink fast, its something else?

Old 01-22-2011, 04:03 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Also, could the Multifunction switch be burnt up on the steering column causing this? They replaced the whole BCM? So I don't know what else to do? Geez. Oh ya, last night I took a few out of town friends out and a buddy goes to get his phone out of my truck, and when he locks the door he hits the remote button twice to verify the lock, and the horn just stays on???? I had to go outside and physically start the truck to get it to stop.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:18 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
What are the two boxes behind the drivers side instrument panel if you take off that side cover? It looks like there are two boxes of relays there? I'm just curious as to what those do?

Old 01-22-2011, 04:24 PM
rdenis
Tuned
The correct position should be on - by toggling on/off/on, the BCM should reinitialize properly. If it doesn't then there is something else gong on. As for the horn, that also sounds like BCM issue.

What you should do is tell the dealer to reprogram the BCM with the "As Built" data - this is a file he can download from Ford and will restore the BCM to the original programmed settings from when the truck came off the factory line.

He may say he already did that - ask him if he used the As Built data or just inhaled the settings from the old BCM. Insist he uses the As Built data. If there is still a problem after that tell them to order a new BCM.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:34 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
The correct position should be on - by toggling on/off/on, the BCM should reinitialize properly. If it doesn't then there is something else gong on. As for the horn, that also sounds like BCM issue.

What you should do is tell the dealer to reprogram the BCM with the "As Built" data - this is a file he can download from Ford and will restore the BCM to the original programmed settings from when the truck came off the factory line.

He may say he already did that - ask him if he used the As Built data or just inhaled the settings from the old BCM. Insist he uses the As Built data. If there is still a problem after that tell them to order a new BCM.

I was thinking that maybe the horn was acting up because of the turn signals acting wierd. I'm going to go in Monday morning and tell them to reprogram the BCM with the factory specs. We'll see if that fixes this "issue" I went ahead and ordered a MIC from Ford, but waited on the SDARS pending on what they do with my NAV system. I have not gave up on that yet..... I hope this mic will fix my SYNC problem.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:13 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
thanks Rdenis. Another dealer (trust more) took the truck in and within 50 minutes he had everything working perfect again. Check my factory nav thread to see what I did there...... Its a good twist in the story

Old 01-26-2011, 11:07 AM
rdenis
Tuned
Ahh, finally a dealer who actually knew what they were doing! Guess they found a new customer - hopefully you get a survey request from Ford for the prior service debacle.