strange noise durring accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 07:48 PM
renato matos
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150

Originally Posted by awq134
This has happened about half a dozen times while accelerating. It sounds sort of like it's between a scratching noise and a rattling noise. It's only happened at highway speeds 50-60 mph while accelerating and will stop when i let off the gas. there have been a few times that i can get it to come back if i step on the throttle again, but will not duplicate every time. any ideas?
​​​​​​ did you find out what is making the noise in your truck my truck is making the same thing I have no idea what's wrong with it and I took to a Ford dealership they told me to change the tie rod and a vacuum line and solenoid for the 4x4 and it's still not working

Old 07-10-2017, 10:58 AM
stephenfontana
New User
I have the same exact problem at 135K miles.... I read the forums and told the mechanic about vacuum leaks and actuators and MAFs etc. He took truck for a ride, stopped, went under truck, banged on muffler a bit, adjusted a heat sheild that lies over muffler, and sound is gone, ...for now. So I dodged a bullet, but that isn't to say it's not a vacuum leak as I can't shift into L4 in winter So I might have to bring it in this fall season.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:06 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Vacuum has no effect on the operation of 4L everything at the transfer case is electric. A vacuum problem would affect 4h and 4l equally.

Are you shifting to neutral with the truck at a full stop to go into low range?

Old 10-17-2017, 02:07 PM
JeffLaf
New User
rattling locks

Check your vacuum operated front hub locks. My 04 F150 was making a similar noise. To me it sounded like I was dragging a dog chain under the truck. It is actually the hub locks loosing vacuum and trying to engage while driving. Try switching to 4X4 HI when it's making the noise that should stop it. If so replace the hub lock, I recommend changing both. If one happens to still be good keep it as a spare.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:27 PM
Blue_Oval1
Cross-Country
This has happened about half a dozen times while accelerating. It sounds sort of like it's between a scratching noise and a rattling noise. It's only happened at highway speeds 50-60 mph while accelerating and will stop when i let off the gas. there have been a few times that i can get it to come back if i step on the throttle again, but will not duplicate every time. any ideas?
I had a loud groaning/creaking noise from my '11 4x4, it came on very predictably when accelerating, particularly from a stop, and would sometimes also give a brief creak on decelerating. The local Ford dealer correctly diagnosed it as the stock muffler disintegrating. FYI, the service manager noted Ford only sells the entire cat-back exhaust system for 12th generation trucks and recommended I go to a local muffler shop and get a Magnaflow or get an FRPP cat-back system, depending on if I wanted to spend $250 or $1250.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:43 PM
Fishingrocket42
New User
I was having this noise only under acceleration at low speeds. Turned out to be a loose hose lamp that mounted a exhaust pipe to the heat shield. Replaced and now no more noise!

Old 10-14-2018, 09:28 AM
trucks4life6
New User
Desiel noise upon acceleration or high gear low rpm.

Hi, I have a 2003 Ford F-150 4.6L fx4 when I quickly hit the gas it has a rough diesel noise for a second then stops it does it when I hold the break an hit the gas as well as in high gear low rpm going up a hill etc. no codes but have recently noticed a slight loss of torque here lately in a way it sounds like a spark knock. I run premium gas new plugs an wire as well as coil packs no change. It’s coming from the engine any help or ideas on what it may be would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 11-24-2019, 09:53 AM
Sting Saddlery
New User
2011 Ford F-150 XLT

Originally Posted by ahurd2786
I am having the exact problem. On the gas near 60mph I develop a rattle like marbles are rolling around in a can, I step off the gas and its gone. Only happens at high speeds. I only have 3k on the truck and its a 2011. I put a MBRP exhaust on it a month ago and have gone under 3 different times to check the exhaust did not come loose and there is no way I can make it any tighter, its not moving at all so I am lost as to what the sound is, ive checked the heat shields, no issues with shifting either....my thought was a rock in the rotor but I should hear that at any speed and should have been gone by now......

Adam
2011 f-150 STX 4x4
I have a 2011 Ford F-150 XLT that is having the same problem that you described. Did you get a new muffler and did it fix your problem?

Old 11-27-2019, 04:23 PM
wheels24
New User
I had the exact same problem on my 2010 SuperCrew with the 5.4L. Periodically sounded like there was a beer can full of roofing nails dragging underneath the passenger side of the engine compartment...usually when under load going up hills. Turned out to be a loose heat shield that only rattled at certain RPMs and speeds, and under certain loads, i.e. when the resonance was just right. The mechanic crimped the tab at the top of the heat shield that's between the passenger side header and upper control arm mount. Problem solved. Hasn't come back since.

Old 04-20-2020, 11:34 AM
shayedtree
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if your issue is indeed the same as mine i don't see how the muffler is the problem, but i hope for your sake it does fix it. The only reason i say this is if it were the exhaust, why wouldn't it do it at any speed when your eng. was at the same approx. RPM with the same exhaust airflow. Just my thought process.

For the last 2 mos. I have read on this topic until my eyes would bleed.
I had the issue with a clacking/rattling/ticking/rattle sound in the engine compartment on a 2000 E150 5.4L Triton (205,000 mi.) Basically, what was actually spark knock on acceleration. It also likely lead to our poor LTFT and STFT readings.
I could rev engine in park/neutral as high as I wanted and would NEVER get the noise. That fact, and, that no codes were being thrown made this next to impossible to find the origin/reason. We tried all kinds of repairs/fuel treatments/octane increase/MAF sensor cleaning, heat shields, cats, etc..., based on whatever I found from endless forum searches. Nothing worked. But, now finally it is fixed. The DPFE ports were caked/occluded with carbon and when we just touched the hoses, they also just crumbled. The problem existed for almost 3 yrs. It's now FIXED.

Also, Ford had bad DPFE's early on and this was a big deal for performance issues. I did not actually need to replace it however as it just needed cleaning, and I suspect it is/was not the original anyway.

Old 09-26-2020, 08:30 PM
J mezza
New User
Fx4 2009 sound

Originally Posted by rjmogs06
Well the new F150 (1200 miles) is off to the dealership this weekend, I'll update with what they find. I'm still not 100% sure that what i'm experiencing is the motor pinging, but who knows I've been wrong before.
paint can noise, yes, rattle, doesn't seem effecting, but very annoying, did quite down during , but stop and go its there, just traded my good 07 for this 09 ,,,,

Old 03-29-2021, 07:16 PM
Cj Andrews
New User
Similar issue

Originally Posted by Ford526
Yes replace or check your vacuum line to the transfer case and ensure that your wheelbearings is intact
So I have a very similar sound- more of a rattling loudly at around 1-1.8 rpm and dying down the higher the rpm. I tried the 4x4 engage test and I still hear it, could the quick test be flawed and the IWEs still my problem?

Old 03-29-2021, 08:24 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
I suppose if the wheel ends were completely stripped it could still make noise.

it sounds more likely that there is something else going on though.

the front driveline should be spinning at the same speed as the wheels In 4x4, so there should be no reason for the wheel ends to make noise even if they are completely stripped.

Old 05-21-2021, 04:11 PM
Adam Lipscomb
New User
Originally Posted by meborder
i know it's been brought up and dismissed ... but all of these sound like preignition.

anytime someone says "rocks in the engine" or "can full of screws" ... that's pinging.

be aware that the gasoline distributors here in south dakota were about to get sewed by the state for mislabling the pumps. they were selling 85 octane fuel and labling it 87.
just something to take note.

if you got a truck that makes these kinds of sounds, particularly at low rpm and high load, it could be spark knock (pinging), and if it is persistant a high octane fuel should make it stop. if it does, then you need to figure out if you are just getting crappy gas, or if there is something wrong with the truck. it *should* adjust the timing below the preignition threshold, and if it is not doing so, it is either because it cannot retard the timing any further (crappy fuel), or there is something wrong.

my 2010 just did this when i filled up with regular fuel for the first time in about 8000 miles. i usually use e30 or e85, and when i switched to our regular fuel (e10 i presume) the truck did ping for a little bit, until it relearned the timing curve for that fuel.

that's what i'm thinking.....
That is exactly what it sounds like when it happens. My 2016 explorer sport just started doing it. Tremendous power loss

Old 09-16-2021, 06:23 PM
BigPapaPumpzZ
New User
2016 f150 4x4 5.0L

Originally Posted by renato matos
​​​​​​ did you find out what is making the noise in your truck my truck is making the same thing I have no idea what's wrong with it and I took to a Ford dealership they told me to change the tie rod and a vacuum line and solenoid for the 4x4 and it's still not working

I literally just picked up my truck 30 minutes ago it was brought in because the transfer case was shot and I wanted to find out what the rattling noise during acceleration was on my pick up well automatically they said it was my Hubs. probably had to be changed and they did transfer case and noise completely gone. So maybe try have that looked at. My 2010f150 started doing the same , so I traded it in. And I replaced both hubs on that truck noise still there. So definite possibility thanks hope this helps someone.