1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New guy

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:21 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Put them up on the HAMB. You'll get a response there. Steering box usually goes for $100-125. I've sold complete front ends before from $200-250. However, shipping it would be very hard. You may want to disassemble it and sell in pieces. Complete brake drum assemblies with backing plates should bring in around $100-120. Front axle, if straight and unbent, about $75-100. Pitman arm about $40-50. If you have another steering wheel attached to the steering box and it's in decent shape, take it off and sell it separately. Price depends on condition.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Fordman49F1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info. I am leaning more towards keeping the brakes for parts. The axle and box I will part ways with. My main leaves on both sides are shot, and I don't think they are worth selling. I will post em up and see what I get after I swap my old stuff off.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:03 AM
k-member
Junior User
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Put them up on the HAMB. You'll get a response there. Steering box usually goes for $100-125. I've sold complete front ends before from $200-250. However, shipping it would be very hard. You may want to disassemble it and sell in pieces. Complete brake drum assemblies with backing plates should bring in around $100-120. Front axle, if straight and unbent, about $75-100. Pitman arm about $40-50. If you have another steering wheel attached to the steering box and it's in decent shape, take it off and sell it separately. Price depends on condition.
For sure I had the box and a few other parts out of my truck in my model A, but I may go to cowl steering because it looks cool and will work better with the Y-block.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:53 AM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
maybe the streets are glass-smooth there in Hoosier Land, around here you'd be leaving parts behind...
Surely you jest. Mr. Ross has apparently never paid a visit to Indiana in April!

I was leary due to the de-arched main leaf. The front shackles are almost fully extended when the truck is not moving.
Don't be surprised if you swap out your springs and find that the replacements are the same way. There isn't much shackle travel in the front springs even with good ones. That's just the way they are. Beyond that, what part of Indiana are you in? I'm near Lafayette and fifty-two_f1 is over around Anderson. He's got a bunch of Bonus Built parts and I've got quite a few also if you find yourself in need of anything else. If you're not too far away, I'd love to get together and check out your project.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:26 AM
Fordman49F1
Senior User
I reside in lovely Mishawaka. Yall are more than welcome anytime. I keep cold beer and soda in the fridge, and I spin wrenches on weekends. Worst case, we could get together in the spring.

That sucks about the leaf springs...so basically I am reduced to buying new or getting them rebuilt? I am not looking much travel out of the front shackles, but having them bottomed out don't seem quite right. Granted, they are 60 year old springs...

I am in need of a drivers side window regulator that's in decent shape. I am sure I will come up with more as I dig deeper but that is the only thing stopping me from having a drivers side window. Sooner or later I would like to get a new bed as mine has it's bad spots and I don't know body work at all. I am hoping over the summer I can get an air compressor and interior storage so I can start cleaning off body parts and learn a little.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:12 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
I'll try and snap a pic of my front springs and get them posted. I have a couple of spare doors and one of them might have a regulator, I'm not sure wich one though. I'll try to get back into my pile of parts this evening and check that to

When you are looking for beds, keep in mind that the late 51.52 beds will bolt onto your truck they are different in looks. The 48-50 beds have the raised bedsides and curved stake pockets and the 51/52 beds have flat bed sides and square stake pockets. So, because of the raised panels, the rear fenders are different to. You can bany of the bed pieces as seperate conponents, Here's a good link;
Mack Hils: Products

Bobby

Old 01-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Fordman49F1
Senior User
Yeah, I knew about the bedsides and different fenders, but thanks for the reminder Bobby! Maybe there is nothing wrong with my regulator, as it still raises and lowers the mechanism. The two tabs I call em, that hold the window channel in place are so far shot that I cant fit the window channel in place anymore. I have thought about drilling them out and using bolts, but I didn't exactly want to mess up a good regulator if all I need are a few small parts.

I will snap a few pictures tonight and show yall what I am talking about...it probably makes more sense that way.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:07 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Cool. Keep your eyes peeled for old truck bed trailers. My dad just picked up a decent 51/52 bed, complete with a rear bumper, that was made into a trailer. I think he paid $200.

Bobby

Old 01-11-2011, 02:11 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Fordman49F1
Yeah, I knew about the bedsides and different fenders, but thanks for the reminder Bobby! Maybe there is nothing wrong with my regulator, as it still raises and lowers the mechanism. The two tabs I call em, that hold the window channel in place are so far shot that I cant fit the window channel in place anymore. I have thought about drilling them out and using bolts, but I didn't exactly want to mess up a good regulator if all I need are a few small parts.

I will snap a few pictures tonight and show yall what I am talking about...it probably makes more sense that way.
Yes, please post pictures of your regulator. I also have several window regulators in my parts "stock". Mine are already removed.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Fordman49F1
Senior User
See...mine is not removed yet. I have no idea how to pull it (mainly because I have not looked at it enough)...I am sure its not that bad. I will get some pics of the problem area...as the rest of it works just fine. I should say that it raises and lowers the mechanism with no problems, and when it did have a window it raised and lowered it with no problems, but the window was broke. When I went to pull the window out, it all came falling out and I am stuck with the result.

I do suppose a quick peek at the passengers side would answer many questions as well...since it operates smooth as silk as well? Hmm.....maybe I should pop a can of liquid knowledge and see what I can see tonight?

Old 01-11-2011, 03:31 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
REGULATOR

I also have some used regulators off my 51. pm me if ya need them.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:37 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
OK, so today is one of those days where the old rectal-cranial inversion is flaring up again....

... I forgot my camera at work. I did lay down under the truck and take a few meausurements though;

distance between front spring shackle and the frame -- 3/4" (measured between frame and top of the end of the spring)

distance between the bottom of the frame and the center of the lower grease zert on the front spring shackle bushing -- 1 1/4"

distance between the frame and the axle (measured where the bump stop is supposed to be) -- 2 1/2"

I'll try and remember my camera tomorrow
Bobby

Old 01-11-2011, 05:46 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Fordman49F1
See...mine is not removed yet. I have no idea how to pull it (mainly because I have not looked at it enough)...I am sure its not that bad. I will get some pics of the problem area...as the rest of it works just fine. I should say that it raises and lowers the mechanism with no problems, and when it did have a window it raised and lowered it with no problems, but the window was broke. When I went to pull the window out, it all came falling out and I am stuck with the result.

I do suppose a quick peek at the passengers side would answer many questions as well...since it operates smooth as silk as well? Hmm.....maybe I should pop a can of liquid knowledge and see what I can see tonight?
There are two clips that hold the glass channel in on the regulator. You could be missing the clips. This would cause the glass channel to come off the regulator brackets.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:13 PM
john smith jr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice truck and welcome to ..... FYI..... I picked up new front springs at JC Whitney,..made in the USA and have the bushing already pressed in the eye. They were a bit more than $50 though but less than $200 I think?s As mentioned..... my truck also sat down on the new spring almost as much as the old ones. Got the pins and bushings ect at Dennis Carpenter. Note the orientation of the lock pins when you re-install the shackle pins......easy to gaul them up if not in right. Lots of helpful threads in this subject as well as front end rebuilds here. I replaced tie rod ends springs grease retainers, ball seats and shields. Spindle arm ball and drag link ball on mine were like new so I left them alone. Also,...as mentioned,.. the accumulation of all these upgrade and adjustments will add up to a respectable ride. I got quite a bit of bang from following the steering gear adjustment specs in the shop manual. I needed to double check and adjust my toe in after a bad case of "death wobble "after the initial re-build.
Welcome....great place here with good folks

Old 01-11-2011, 06:18 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
JCW is also where I got the front springs for my 51 Panel several years ago. They were around $150 or $175 at the time. Not sure if JCW still sells them, though. It might be worth a call into them to find out. Usually they'll have specials and free shipping offers.

Quick Reply: New guy