1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Yet another new guy

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 03:28 PM
SuperSabre
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Yet another new guy

I stumbled across FTE a couple of weeks ago while researching info on what's available for the changes I want to make to my new/old truck. I quickly realized there's a lot of knowledge available here, plus some real characters. I was looking for a '66 LWB CC V8 4speed in reasonably good shape, but needing some work, particularly paint, and in November I found one on the net in Fresno, a mere 750 mile drive from my home in Tucson. So a mechanic friend and I hooked my flatbed up behind my '02 Super Duty and went to have a look - and brought it home. It has some rust in the pax side footwell and door sill area, and at the base of the rad core support, but it is generally quite good and mostly original. I was stunned to find the Build Sheet still tucked into the seatback springs, a little the worse for wear after 44 years, but largely readable. It also still has the little metal tags on the engine, carb, and diff. It was built in Kansas City the first week of September, '65 to special order paint, the obligatory Wimbledon White sandwiched between layers of Emberglow. It was sold by Woodhouse Ford of Blair, Nebraska where it lived most of its life until the last owner bought it and moved it to Seattle, and then on to Fresno. He also pranged it in Fresno, so it now wears a '64 right front fender. Somewhere along the line someone painted some graphics on it that don't suit my taste. I know y'all want pix, and as soon as I figure it out I'll post some. It's not gonna be a show truck; it'll be a working truck in that it will haul horse food (hay and grain sacks) and tow the 6000# GVW flatbed. To that end I have already added a Class 3 receiver and trailer brake system. I thought of putting a 5 speed Tremec in it, but my mechanic pointed out the Tremec doesn't have a deep enough 1st gear to get the trailer, loaded with tractor or car, moving easily, and the existing New Process gearbox with "granny" low does. We shall see. The rear end is a 3.50. So I ordered the Perfect Fit A/C system from Classic Auto Air, and the Power Disc Brake kit from Master Power Brakes, and bought reconditioned '70s power steering gearbox and pump, new hoses, and correct Pitman arm, and now await everything showing up (MPB is out of calipers and CAA sent the wrong crankshaft pulley). OK experts, now for the questions - I don't want to charge ahead all airspeed and no compass heading. I've restomodded a '64 Falcon Sprint hardtop and a '66 Mustang convertible. In both cases I upgraded the front swaybar and added a rear one. This truck has neither. LMC Truck (and possibly others) sells them. I would think adding swaybars has got to help the handling. Haven't seen a lot of chatter about it. Any experience or recommendations? Relative merits of KYB GR2 shocks vs the Gas Adjusts? The GR2s are supposed to be stock equivalent. Anyone using one or the other? Fan shrouds - the '66 didn't come with one, but some '67s did. Would probably be a good idea to help the cooling system cope with new A/C and southern Arizona heat. (Am adding 6 blade fan.) Any reason a '67 shroud for the 360 engine shouldn't work on a '66 with a 352? Parts catalogue seems to indicate the radiators are the same. Saw some chatter on seat swaps. What I want to do is put a 40/20/40 split bench from an '02 (or similar) into the '66. The measurements seem to be close enough, appreciating that some sort of adapter plates will have to be fashioned to match new seat mount to old truck mount. Anyone done it? Comments? How 'bout the relative merits between long tube headers vs just using existing 352 exhaust manifolds and turning them into dual exhausts? I know that stock 352 heads aren't noted for world class efficiency and so headers might be a waste of money without improved heads - which Edelbrock tech says cannot be used below a 390. I also saw somewhere that headers might interfere with a swaybar, should I put one on. In the same vein, is it worthwhile to put the Edelbrock intake manifold and 600 cfm 4bbl on with the crap cylinder heads? Looking forward to your feedback. And it would appear that Bill W lives in my neck of the desert, so I'm looking forward to meeting you. Thanks. Bob

Old 12-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts
Phew,,,! I think I read that in one breath!! Welcome to FTE Bob!! Sounds like a nice rig,,, ooops need to run,, I will add more later!
Congrats and Welcome

Old 12-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello Bob, Welcome to FTE! look me up the next time your on the n/w side of town.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:46 PM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome from Chattanooga, TN!

Old 12-25-2010, 07:10 AM
ddavidv
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Addco makes the sway bars LMC sells. It's possible to just use one from a slightly newer model Camper Special if you can find one.

You could have got a disc brake conversion from a junkyard for far less than that kit, but new parts are nice to work with.

I know the contoured bench seats from (I think) 1980s era trucks bolt right in using your existing seat brackets.

Nice to see someone else putting a truck to work!

Old 12-25-2010, 08:55 AM
Bob_91SC4x4
Senior User
You're right about us all wanting pictures heheh.

Congrats on the new worktruck!

- Bob

Old 12-25-2010, 11:11 AM
garbz2
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Stock 352 heads flow just as good as 390 heads as they are the same heads.

The Edelbrock tech is full of crap. FE heads all interchange.

Bore on a 352 is 4.00 and a 360/390 is 4.05, You have to watch clearances when going to cobra jet size valves for 390s and down as the 428s bore is 4.125 and the 427 is 4.25

The Tremec can be ordered with a deeper first gear. And you increase the rear ratio to 4.10 And it will pull fine. and still run the 3.50 at final drive in fifth gear.

Garbz

Old 12-25-2010, 12:27 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome from a wandabe Arizonian, looking forward to your input and post pic's when and if you can.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:05 AM
tbm3fan
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Pickupmanx2
Phew,,,! I think I read that in one breath!! Welcome to FTE Bob!! Sounds like a nice rig,,, ooops need to run,, I will add more later!
Congrats and Welcome

LOL, I didn't because I got hypnotized by the sheer wall of letters.

Welcome to FTE and don't forget the

"enter" button...

although we can all understand the excitement of a "new" old truck. Right, guys!

Old 12-27-2010, 11:48 PM
SuperSabre
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for the welcomes and the replies to my questions. Can't wait to get to work on my truck.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:32 AM
Bob_91SC4x4
Senior User
Welcome and get ready to learn alot ..from these other guys LOL!