1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

7.3L Powerstroke Diesel F350 experts!!!! Need you!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 06:28 PM
fear4freedom
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3L Powerstroke Diesel F350 experts!!!! Need you!!!

I have alot of water in my fuel filter etc. Not sure why it is so much! I have never drained it! Never knew I had to drain the water every week! Still dont know exactly how to do it! However, My big question and my big problem is I just tried to drive it back from my mechanic and going up hills, i lose my power! I can make it up hills! My mechanic says its a fuel issue, not getting enough fuel. My dad says it sounds like a transmission filter, restriction type issue! My idling is fine. Not sure! I hate this truck as much as I love it!
One more thing!! I have the "DEATH WOBBLE" Have you ever heard of it? I have it!
Not sure what to do! I have done so much already, its gotten alot better but Its still doing it sometimes! Over 55mph and hit a bump the wrong way.....truck trips out!
Your thoughts on both issues! Thank you

Old 12-21-2010, 07:26 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Someone will have to help you on the death wobble more besides the obvious of bushings checked, ball joints, etc. There is a little yellow lever on the front of the fuel bowl on the bottom, just turn it 90* and probably have to loosen the lid and drain it out. Put some diesel kleen in the bowl and the tanks. Have you checked the fuel pressure? There is a schrader valve on the side of the fuel pressure regulator, check with a cheap tire gauge works, should have at least 40psi, preferrably closer to 60-70.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:51 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

Tell us more about your truck. The more we know, the easier it is to help you. How long have you had the truck? Has it been sitting for a length of time? How many miles on it? Any mods? Do you have a lift or aftermarket wheels?

Checking fuel pressure is a good place to start. You also probably need to clean your FPR screen. How long has it been since you changed the fuel filter?

Old 12-21-2010, 07:56 PM
fear4freedom
New User
reply on your reply

Originally Posted by F350-6
Welcome to FTE.

Tell us more about your truck. The more we know, the easier it is to help you. How long have you had the truck? Has it been sitting for a length of time? How many miles on it? Any mods? Do you have a lift or aftermarket wheels?

Checking fuel pressure is a good place to start. You also probably need to clean your FPR screen. How long has it been since you changed the fuel filter?
No lift just normal! It sat for 5 months prior to me buying it! I drove it now for 4 months! Death Wobble was the whole time! I have been chipping away at that issue! Ok I have no power to get up hills! I have to pull over and let it idle for a minute and then drive again! It shifts hard too! It does shift though! No codes are showing on the Ford Scans! My dad thinks its a trans. filteration issue of some sort!
I had my water taken out and now im about to have my gas tanks dropped and inspected! Your thoughts!

Old 12-21-2010, 09:29 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
hmmm death wobble is usually in the 250s with the D50 twin traction beam, i had the death wobble and it turned out to be the ball joint that was connecting the arm off the steering box to the linkage, that unscrewed almost all the way and would wobble TERRIBLY at 30+ and it was dangerous, cought it on the last turn of the thread! so check out the front end, its really not too many things taht can go wrong. tie rods first, then linkage!

Old 12-21-2010, 09:51 PM
fear4freedom
New User
thank you

Originally Posted by rideracelivemx7
hmmm death wobble is usually in the 250s with the D50 twin traction beam, i had the death wobble and it turned out to be the ball joint that was connecting the arm off the steering box to the linkage, that unscrewed almost all the way and would wobble TERRIBLY at 30+ and it was dangerous, cought it on the last turn of the thread! so check out the front end, its really not too many things taht can go wrong. tie rods first, then linkage!

I have not checked my linkage! I will do so! Thank you!

Old 12-22-2010, 12:34 AM
Muktown
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you had the tires balanced recently? Could of just thrown a wheel weight. I had wobble like crazy on my 350 until I put new tires on. I would say its probably ball joints though

Old 12-22-2010, 09:49 AM
89ford73
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hard shifting i dont think is a trans filter issue it may be a ipc sensor and thatwill cause some loss in power but not as much as you are describing. It not getting enough fuel could be a fuel filter it could need a new fuel line rusted out or sucking air for some reason maybe at-near the fuel tank switch valve or top of the fuel
tank. Death wabble.. That is
usually a issue with the ball joints, spring bushings, control arm bushings, tie rod ends, or maybe it needs steering stabilizer shocks

Old 12-22-2010, 11:26 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
on the death wobble look close at the track bar bushings. Any looseness in it and you need new bushings. Also look for loose tie rod ends, spring bushings, ball joints, steering stabilizer or shocks. Alignment could also be an issue if it doesn't have enough caster.

Please describe under what conditions your death wobble happens.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:09 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
Exactly what he said. The biggest cause of it I have ever seen is the track bar bushings. It's an easy fix using the moog problem solver bushings. Also look at the shackle bushings on the front of your springs. YOu need to remove the upper bolt and pull it out of the frame to see the upper one. They are real common too. Somewhere you got metal to metal instead of rubber to metal and that is what makes them go nuts on bumps.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:02 PM
62uni4x4
Senior User
X3 on the track bar.. I had a 91 F350 4x4 that had the wobble, I fought it for a while changed steering box (it was a little loose), shocks, put on aftermarket steering stabilizer. Then I found worn track bar bushings, fixed it and it never happened again.