6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Remote starter not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 11:08 AM
skylinekw
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote starter not working

I always use the remote start. This morning it did not work. The def level is around 500 miles. Does this have anything to do with it. Anyone else have this problem?

Old 12-06-2010, 11:34 AM
6.7Fan
Senior User
Originally Posted by skylinekw
I always use the remote start. This morning it did not work. The def level is around 500 miles. Does this have anything to do with it. Anyone else have this problem?
I've only had this happen once, and I'm pretty sure it's because I pushed the button too many times and temporarily disabled it. It has worked fine since I manually started the truck that day (and it was at least a month ago). My DEF got down to around 300 miles before I filled it, and I didn't have any issues with the remote start. I use it pretty much every time to start the truck.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:37 PM
skylinekw
Senior User
I tried this morning. I pressed lock and then the start button twice. Instead of the lights flashing three times and starting, the lights flashed twice and the horn beeped. Then when I got to my work garage I shut it off. Twenty min later same thing

Old 12-06-2010, 01:08 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
sounds like it was getting the "verify armed" command instead of the "start" command. have you tried your second key, to be sure?

Old 12-06-2010, 01:29 PM
skylinekw
Senior User
No. I will try that when I get back to the truck later. Thanks

Old 12-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Here are some things I found in the manual:

1) RESET FOR REMOTE START (if equipped)
Press RESET to enable remote start on or off and choose the remote
start duration time (5, 10, 15 minutes) and other options.

-- this is part of the "My Key" feature. Maybe it was shut off by accident (second key fob suggestion would verify the RS is working).

2) Things that will prevent it from remote starting:

The remote start system will not work if:

• The ignition is in the on position.
• The alarm system is triggered.
• The feature has been disabled.
• The hood is not closed.
• Two remote vehicle starts have already been attempted within the last
hour.
• The vehicle is not in P (Park).

Also mentions: "If for some reason, the system fails to start, the horn will chirp twice", it doesn't say anything about lights flashing.

Hope this helps. Some are pretty obvious...

Old 12-06-2010, 02:57 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have noticed mine is fussy at times on how far I am away from the truck. t times it works for hundreds of feet and others not so far. I have tried to remote start it from less than 100 feet and have had a no go. It always has worked the next try. I guess that mean a lot of words for no help. Sorry...

Old 11-20-2017, 12:32 AM
Todd Nussbaumer
New User
Mine was working fine - I had to pick up a light trailer last night and as soon as I hooked up the wiring - the rear running tail-lights went out - (Brake Lights - blinkers - hazards and reverse lights all work fine - Just rear running lights. - Then while pulling this crappy little trailer to the house (Lights still out and on trailer) My tire pressure monitor fault light came on and has stayed on. AND to top it all off - now key fob wont work door locks or remote start. - truck will start - High and Low beams and fog lamps work fine. Marker lights on mirrors work too... All Fuses that I have checked are in good order. with exception Im having a little bit of a time getting to the ones under the hood and pulling those (really dont want to do that until i can disconnect the battery. Any suggestions.. I have searched the forum to no avail.

Thank you!

Old 11-20-2017, 05:16 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Did you check to see if any stored DTC's?

Old 11-20-2017, 01:15 PM
graysonp
Freshman User
I've noticed the remote start on my 14 can be fussy if it senses anything the truck doesn't like. Any check engine light will prevent it from working. The hood being open or unlatched (sometimes the little bracket holding the hood close sensor gets bent and will prevent it from working). Any door left open, too many attempts to crank it, etc. Also, if the battery is low, it won't attempt to start.

I had the DEF heater go out on my truck (in the middle of summer so it was no big deal) and the remote start never worked again until I deleted the truck and got rid of the DEF heater code.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:43 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
Did you check to see if any stored DTC's?
This will certainly prevent a remote start...

If you don't have an OBD II code reader, there is an engineering mode you can go into that will display codes. (Assuming you have the 4" productivity screen) hold the down arrow while turning the key from OFF to ACC. You can start it after it goes into engineering mode, but you have to wait until engineering mode has starting. Lots of neat screens to thumb through too.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:52 PM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
If the lights blink and the horn beeps there something wrong with the remote start. You can try the reset as outlined above but something is amiss - the hood down sensor, the door lock sensor, the truck in park sensor, maybe an issue with the door ajar sensors - something is sideways. But for sure do the reset 1st, mine was whacked, was the hood down sensor - after a reset it would work for a few days, then the blinking lights horn toot. I would reset it again and it would work for a few days - finally took t in.

Old 12-01-2020, 03:46 PM
Mark Kraus
New User
Originally Posted by Marauder92V
Here are some things I found in the manual:

1) RESET FOR REMOTE START (if equipped)
Press RESET to enable remote start on or off and choose the remote
start duration time (5, 10, 15 minutes) and other options.

-- this is part of the "My Key" feature. Maybe it was shut off by accident (second key fob suggestion would verify the RS is working).

2) Things that will prevent it from remote starting:

The remote start system will not work if:

• The ignition is in the on position.
• The alarm system is triggered.
• The feature has been disabled.
• The hood is not closed.
• Two remote vehicle starts have already been attempted within the last
hour.
• The vehicle is not in P (Park).

Also mentions: "If for some reason, the system fails to start, the horn will chirp twice", it doesn't say anything about lights flashing.

Hope this helps. Some are pretty obvious...

This just happened to me and took your advice and reset the starter thru onboard menu "My Key" and worked like a charm. Thanks!!

Old 12-01-2020, 05:32 PM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts
Something worth mentioning here that I discovered on my truck. The receiver under the dash that talks with your tire sensors for the TPMS is the same receiver that receives signals from your key for remote start and lock/un-lock. @Todd Nussbaumer the receiver may be your problem since you have both a TPMS and remote start problem.

When I bought my truck, I noticed lock/un-lock/remote start couldn't be done from very far away, and the previous owner put an after market remote start system on the truck to remedy the short remote start distance. For years I also had intermittent TPMS faults pop up that were driven by the system not communicating with one of the two rear wheel sensors. Monitoring the tire pressure on Torque is what helped me isolate that problem. My last dealership didn't fix the problem, but when I had the dealership here in Idaho fix the TPMS problem, they finally got permission from Ford to change out the receiver, which is what I was telling them I suspected was the problem. A few days after the new receiver was installed I happened to hit the unlock button on my key from a farther distance than normal, and it worked! So I did a series of tests, and that's how I know the two systems share the same receiver. I can remote start from a long distance now, and I haven't gotten a TPMS low tire pressure warning ever since the fix either.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:41 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Kodiak, If you ever look at the installation instructions for the key fob remote start, you will see that the RF antenna for the remote start plugs into the TPMS module.

Quick Reply: Remote starter not working