6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Alt ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 04:57 PM
ramsay
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alt ??

Ive got 6.0 w a dying alternator. Ive also got a dead 99 windstar with a freshly rebuilt 130 amp large case altenator. Its putting out 14.2 V in the van.
Here is my question. It will bolt on and plug in to the 6.0 with no modification but won't charge at all. Any ideas as to why?

Edit: Will a regulator for 6.0 fit the alternator out of the Windstar?

Old 12-05-2010, 07:15 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,731 Posts
I believe that the 6.0L single alternator is expecting a signal from the "I" circuit to begin output.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:39 PM
hubler13f
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, I have no knowledge in that area to help you out, but what is going on with our alternators this is the fifth or sixth bad alternator I have seen on here in a week and a half to include mine.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:40 PM
ramsay
Senior User
How do I solve this "I" circuit issue? How do I trigger the non-diesel alternator to kick and and start charging? What are the differences between the two alternators? Are the regulators different?

Old 12-05-2010, 10:40 PM
John Irwin
Elder User

Originally Posted by hubler13f
Sorry, I have no knowledge in that area to help you out, but what is going on with our alternators this is the fifth or sixth bad alternator I have seen on here in a week and a half to include mine.
Off topic slightly, but when I was pulling my egr valve out, the pry bar I was using sparked on the alt wiring harness...wth??...the insulation was melted on the wires, and they were semi-fused together, with exposed wire showing. Before I fixed it, alt voltage was all over the place, down to 13.2 and up to 14.2, and I have put 3 alternators in it in the last 2 years. Now the voltage is constant at around 14 volts, no big dives anymore. Check your wiring right by the egr valve, probably won't be damaged, but it only takes 10 seconds to look.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:26 AM
ramsay
Senior User
edit and bump

Old 12-11-2010, 09:04 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by ramsay
Ive got 6.0 w a dying alternator. Ive also got a dead 99 windstar with a freshly rebuilt 130 amp large case altenator. Its putting out 14.2 V in the van.
Here is my question. It will bolt on and plug in to the 6.0 with no modification but won't charge at all. Any ideas as to why?

Edit: Will a regulator for 6.0 fit the alternator out of the Windstar?
The 6.0 regulator is internal and wants some kind of signal from the I circuit which comes from the dash. Do you know what kind of alternator is on the windstar? 1g, 2g, 3g, 4g, 6g??? Do you know how many wires are in the harness connector on the windstar?.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:29 PM
ramsay
Senior User
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
The 6.0 regulator is internal and wants some kind of signal from the I circuit which comes from the dash. Do you know what kind of alternator is on the windstar? 1g, 2g, 3g, 4g, 6g??? Do you know how many wires are in the harness connector on the windstar?.
It is a large case 6G. I had it installed once and it fit perfectly. The plug-in is identical. I only changed the pulley and the battery cable post to orient it in the right direction. The Windstar harness has three wires .

I'm thinking that if I installed a 6.0 specific regulator that all would be well.....as I've read that large case and small case 6G use the same regulator.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:50 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by ramsay
It is a large case 6G. I had it installed once and it fit perfectly. The plug-in is identical. I only changed the pulley and the battery cable post to orient it in the right direction. The Windstar harness has three wires .

I'm thinking that if I installed a 6.0 specific regulator that all would be well.....as I've read that large case and small case 6G use the same regulator.
There should be NO difference in the alternators internally. You need to check the "I" circuit coming into your alternator to see if you are getting a signal to turn the alternator on. If I have my facts right the "I" circuit is controlled by the hybrid electric cluster in the dash. The alternator will NOT start charging until the GPCM goes off (unless you have dual alternators). If the alternator was functioning on the van properly it should function on the truck the same way. I'm thinking you have another problem besides the alternator.

This is the only "regulator/brush holder" assembly offered for the 6G alternator large and small case that I could find: http://store.alternatorparts.com/bru...sembly-31.aspx

I think John Irwin might be on the right track with the wiring/plug issue.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:54 AM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
this one is an easy question...
the windstar alternator is duty cycled by the pcm. the 6.0 uses a much more traditional setup

Old 12-12-2010, 09:06 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

But a 6G alternator is still a 6G alternator be it large frame or small frame......at least from every source I can find.....and still uses the same internal regulator so it should still work it's just a difference in what commands the regulator to say charge, correct?

Old 12-12-2010, 09:08 AM
cheezit
Post Fiend

hmmm my first thought was a difference in the regulator. I could be wrong.....
possible the op has a connector issue as well.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:13 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
On 1st thought I'm gonna have to go with Tim on this one.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:22 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by cheezit
hmmm my first thought was a difference in the regulator. I could be wrong.....
possible the op has a connector issue as well.
Also meant to say "THANKS" for the information on AC volts at the battery. I was amazed at how many electronics places didn't know or wouldn't admit to knowing about this issue before I found someone to give me the information. Most places check for simple voltage and not current output and call it good. I wonder if this is the reason some people have alternators that "live" for a long time but have constant battery and/or charging issues. It's also the only reason I knew about the 6G alternators being the same--LOL.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:27 AM
cheezit
Post Fiend

tim I had old man teach me that many years ago. come to think about it I learned a lot from alot of the old timers. sadly Its now my time to be refered to as an oldtimer.
that just aint right.

Quick Reply: Alt ??