6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Oil issues...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 03:12 PM
radarweaver
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil issues...

Ok guys I'm back... Wanted to run this buy you guys see what you thought of it all.

Truck has an oil leak on the pan and at the front of the engine, so took it to the shop and thats how I found out where it was coming from.

While there they discovered a small leak on the radiator so getting that fixed, gonna take to dealer for the leak on the pan.

The issue though, obviously to get to the radiator the intercooler and all that had to be pulled. I was looking at everything and noticed a small puddle of oil inside where the CAC pipe on the passengers side connects. Nice black liquidy oil... I've also noticed oil stains in the bottom of the factory air cleaner as if oil is blowing out the breather into the air system.

I've also read this is "normal" but I'm unsure...

Truck runs GREAT! Loads of power, doesn't have hard starts or anything...

I have noticed black smoke under acceleration (DPF must be cracked but going to spartanize the truck soon) and at night when there is someone behind me with their lights on I can see what appears to be really light white smoke.

2008 F350 6.4 / 117kmi

Any thoughts on this?? Is this normal and maybe i should just block that vent or something??

Thanks guys!

Old 11-26-2010, 06:36 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,430 Likes on 1,023 Posts
It does sound to me like you have some residue in your cac from blowby. Your filler location has a hose on it that goes into the air management system so that maybe where it is coming from.

It is not a concern at this time but keep an eye on it.

White smoke could be nothing or something. Could just be from humidity, water that has been collecting in the cac or perhaps from coolant.

So are you eating any coolant?

Old 11-26-2010, 07:16 PM
radarweaver
Freshman User
Very little, but the radiator has a leak in it so that would explain the loss... bout 1/2 a qt in 3k miles.

Ok so oil there is "normal" <whew> I may have overfilled it when I changed the oil by a bit.....

If I had to give the oil i saw a volume, I'd say maybe 1/2 a teaspoon there in the throttle housing, I didnt get to see how much was in the intercooler though.

Would it be advisable to rig a "catch can" for this oil and not have that breather empy into the intake tubing?? I'm sure that oil that's in the intake system is why I'm seeing some white smoke... Like I said truck runs great!

Gotta fix a leak on the oil pan too <scary> no room to work without living the engine a bit and no way to lift engine without removing turbos... should be fun.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:25 PM
senix
Super Moderator
address the other stuff first then the little bit of oil in the intake. Do you check your oil often? Does your truck make any oil?

Old 11-26-2010, 08:39 PM
radarweaver
Freshman User
Yep check it about once a week, level seems to stay consistant all the time, which I find odd considering I had an oil drip (very light drip) and the oil in the intake system.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:09 AM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Originally Posted by radarweaver
Yep check it about once a week, level seems to stay consistant all the time, which I find odd considering I had an oil drip (very light drip) and the oil in the intake system.
These trucks hold a lot of oil so a few drips won't be noticeable when looking at the dipstick. Also there is the chance that your truck is making as much oil as it's leaking, if it is in fact leaking. I'd clean up the oil that you can see and then keep a close eye on it. I saw a drip under my truck that I thought was a leak and instantly started losing sleep over it. After asking around and giving it some serious thought I was advised to clean it good and it has never returned. I chalked it up to a guy at the lube shop possibly spilling a bit when the oil was changed. The point of my story is to make sure you have a problem before you get too far into diagnosing the possibilities. Good Luck

Old 11-27-2010, 06:00 AM
senix
Super Moderator
I'd side with Brandon on this one. Once you get it back together you can remove the hose for the crankcase ventilation or the cap for that matter and see if you have a little blowby.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:41 PM
radarweaver
Freshman User
Yeah as far as the oil leak is concerned it is leaking right at the front of the oil pan. Cleaned the crap out of everthing and it wouldn't you know it the grime was slowing it down lol. Thanks for the replies, the biggest concern was oil in the intake system... scaring the crap outa me... lol

Old 11-28-2010, 10:16 PM
pilotshot
Senior User
I have a Job #1, 2008 6.4 Diesel with 72000 kms or 45000 miles. I have used Mobil synthetic 5w-40 oil since second change. It developed an oil leak that was weeping more than dripping, down to bottom of engine . I had a cab off frame done under warranty and found the engine valley seal was leaking. Since the engine was also off frame, I had them change the thermostat to the newer updated one. I was charged for the part only. The earlier Job 1''s had a different thermostat that is suspected to be encouraging the famous rad leaks. Yes! it also has the t section installed last year.

I was concerned with the cab off but must admit the Ford Diesel tech did a perfect job as I have had no squawks since the cab off. The total labor was 30 hours. Ford even changed the Mobil oil and installed new gold coolant under warranty. I was thankful the engine was still under warranty which expires in January.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:03 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by pilotshot
I have a Job #1, 2008 6.4 Diesel with 72000 kms or 45000 miles. I have used Mobil synthetic 5w-40 oil since second change. It developed an oil leak that was weeping more than dripping, down to bottom of engine . I had a cab off frame done under warranty and found the engine valley seal was leaking. Since the engine was also off frame, I had them change the thermostat to the newer updated one. I was charged for the part only. The earlier Job 1''s had a different thermostat that is suspected to be encouraging the famous rad leaks. Yes! it also has the t section installed last year.

I was concerned with the cab off but must admit the Ford Diesel tech did a perfect job as I have had no squawks since the cab off. The total labor was 30 hours. Ford even changed the Mobil oil and installed new gold coolant under warranty. I was thankful the engine was still under warranty which expires in January.
howcome it expires in january, don't you have 5/100,000 on the engine and 5/50,000 on the drive train?